The Student Room Group

Scariest films you have ever seen?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
The Ring (US version) - saw it when I was twelve; let's just say my sleep patterns where somewhat altered afterwards.

The Sixth Sense - not the scariest film obviously; but it did contain the scariest scene I have ever watched (the vomiting girl...)
Reply 41
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Scary films don't scare me, but weirdly enough I did get scared during the first Chronicles of Narnia :colondollar:

Was it the wolf "jump scene"? Took my little bro to see that and I think it scared me more than him.

Anyway for me:
-Fragile (Calista Flockhart) stupidly watched this when home alone
-Event Horizon
-First time watching Paranormal Activity
-Insidious (I'm deathly scared of mannequins, same with the Tourist Trap)
-Signs (how is this a 12A?!)
-The Thing
-When A Stranger Calls + the remake (jumpy rather than scary)

I adore horror films, but am a ridiculous scaredy cat. Its like a moth to a bulb! ;p
Reply 42
Original post by concubine
Well. That's kinda funny (lololol), given that it's one of the greatest comedy/'horror' films ever.

I've never really been scared by a film. There was a scene/episode of The Moomins that was kinda creepy.

was the moomins episode where a kind of ghost thing knocks on their door? i was haunted by that
Original post by RJ555
Was it the wolf "jump scene"? Took my little bro to see that and I think it scared me more than him.

I'm ashamed to say yes lol
Toy Story
Original post by Copperknickers
Haha, right. Well put it this way: if there is a pre-1980 horror film that does not have utterly laughable special effects, I haven't seen it yet. Please reccommend me one.

The obvious answer would be Alien, which still looks great and has more atmosphere than the vast majority of films ever made, regardless of genre.

But I don't see how special effects are really important here. Gracious use special effects tends to be more a sign of a ****ty horror film than anything else. The best don't really rely upon them.
Original post by RJ555

Anyway for me:
-Fragile (Calista Flockhart) stupidly watched this when home alone
-Event Horizon
-First time watching Paranormal Activity
-Insidious (I'm deathly scared of mannequins, same with the Tourist Trap)
-Signs (how is this a 12A?!)
-The Thing
-When A Stranger Calls + the remake (jumpy rather than scary)

I adore horror films, but am a ridiculous scaredy cat. Its like a moth to a bulb! ;p

Back in the day, seeing this at the age of 11 or whatever, it was a very atmospheric film, I think I jumped a foot in the air when the alien walks across the camera in the news footage bit. Watching it now it's pretty tame.

Everyone else I talk to seems to slate When a Stranger Calls but I didn't think it was bad. Made me jump, had me in suspense and looking around dark corners days after watching; exactly what horror films should do.
Reply 47
Megan Is Missing. It may not be a standard horror, but the fact it was so realistic scared me more than any other horror film.
Reply 48
The Ring (a Japanese movie)
Woman in Black
Reply 49
Paranomal activity.........
I don't really get scared by films at all, particularly horror films, since they're turning into 'how sick can we be this time' films like Human Centipede 2 and A Serbian Film. That being said, I thought The Strangers had a brilliant psychological aspect to it and found it quite disturbing.
Reply 51
Chucky but that's only because I watched it when I was 8. Those Oompa-Loompa's scared the **** out of me too.

I tend to avoid horror movies.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well. That's kinda funny (lololol), given that it's one of the greatest comedy/'horror' films ever.

I've never really been scared by a film. There was a scene/episode of The Moomins that was kinda creepy.

I think we must be talking about different films. The one I've watched was pure horror. :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5570
Reply 53
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Back in the day, seeing this at the age of 11 or whatever, it was a very atmospheric film, I think I jumped a foot in the air when the alien walks across the camera in the news footage bit. Watching it now it's pretty tame.

Everyone else I talk to seems to slate When a Stranger Calls but I didn't think it was bad. Made me jump, had me in suspense and looking around dark corners days after watching; exactly what horror films should do.

It was good in the sense it achieved its purpose. It works as a suspenseful jumpy thriller, not a bad remake at all.

I think the ruddy sculpture at the top of the stairs is the creepiest part of the film. Why would anyone (particularly someone with kids) have that in their home?! I'd rather have a portrait of the Slender Man in its place.
i dont get scared watching films, but i do get scared for years and years after...one that has really affected me was The Grudges 1, 2 and 3...i freak out all the time...always imagining her face there!

The ring is a little bit scary after.

Maybe the Haunting In connecticut.

and theres another fairly recent one but i cant remember its name- someone has been out on a job at this house, and the have to live in a caravan and constantly check the house and its really demonic inside.

the excoricst, drag me to hell and the strangers are also amongst the pretty scary films
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lovefoxxx_93
I've never jumped as much as when I watched The Strangers. :s-smilie:

that film scared the heck out of my boyfriend haha!
Original post by Billion1995
I think we must be talking about different films. The one I've watched was pure horror. :smile:

If you take 'pure horror' from any Evil Dead film something is going wrong. ;p
Original post by nosaer
Insidious wasn't particularly scary as a whole, but it does have a few jumpy parts. This one still gets me once in a while.

I didn't expect that! What happens straight after?
If you take 'pure horror' from any Evil Dead film something is going wrong. ;p

Are you sure we are talking about the same film?, because I seriusly doubt that. It came out 1988 or something :yhee it is old. As I said I watched it when I was kind of 10, 11 so it was scary at that time, but I don't know about now. :smile:

Reply 59
I dont get scared by films. my sisters fiance thinks im a weirdo as i watched rec on my own, in the dark at halloween with no problems and actually found it pretty amusing, whereas everyone he knows has found it really scary.
a lot of horror films i just find amusing, for example, with the grudge my friends mum looks like a cross between her and the girl from the ring, and she is so lovely i just cant take the girl seriously as a villain. my sister is a wuss though and finds films really freaky and cant watch a lot of horror films, though she is getting better and actually sat through silent hill the other day, which she swore she wouldnt do again, but as me and her fiance love it she decided to give it another go. i also got moaned at by my old work colleagues as i thought 30 days of night was hilarious so they watched it and it scared the crap out of them. iv also had a lot of fun freaking out my cousin with my 2 chucky dolls (when he has been sat in my room and gone to the loo i may have moved its head or arm, then denied it when he asked me).

though the only film i refuse to watch is stephen kings IT, mainly cos clowns are terrifying, but other than that i find most horrors hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest