The Student Room Group

Who are access courses for?

Does anybody know anything about access courses?

Are they really only for people who haven't had the chance to gain traditional/ formal qualifications?

I've been a complete prat and failed my A levels, it's either this or I try to get some sort of job, which wouldn't be the end of the world (I guess) but it would be hard.

My local Uni (Portsmouth) does do an art access course, I think I could get a part time job (at Burger King:smile:) which would pay for the fee's (750 pounds) My lovely Mum is letting me live in her house, so all I would have to do is earn enough money for the tuition fee's and a bus ride, or I could get on my bike.

I love art. I really do enjoy it, I kind of wanted to be an Art teacher but I'm not sure how I would go about doing that. And I'm good at art; for the record. I actually am. :tongue:

Some quick info about my educational progress; G.C.S.E B grade student, except for a C in maths, D in french, A in photography, A*'s in Art and English literature and 2 distinctions in I.C.T qualification things..

I started AS levels and gave up, and then started them again this year and haven't done very well. It's not that I'm not capable, I've just been being really stupid.

Am I suitable for this course?

Thanks for any information you can give me, have an awesome day! :smile:
I did one with only maths gcse at 21.

I now I have a conditional offer for a biology degree. With only English gcse maths gcse and access course.
I did English along side it.

Aslong as you have some kind of educational ability then you can have no reason to get on one. It basically opens doors for 18+ students to gain a level equivalent results over a 1/2 year period.
Reply 2
People can join an Access course for any reason whatsoever :smile: I'm on one coz when I was in school I was silly and didn't bother, others didn't realise they wanted to go uni at the time and dropped out early, some have quals which expired ...

Basically, it doesn't matter, it's for people who want to go uni :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by timothytom
I did one with only maths gcse at 21.

I now I have a conditional offer for a biology degree. With only English gcse maths gcse and access course.
I did English along side it.

Aslong as you have some kind of educational ability then you can have no reason to get on one. It basically opens doors for 18+ students to gain a level equivalent results over a 1/2 year period.

Original post by Skip_Snip
People can join an Access course for any reason whatsoever :smile: I'm on one coz when I was in school I was silly and didn't bother, others didn't realise they wanted to go uni at the time and dropped out early, some have quals which expired ...

Basically, it doesn't matter, it's for people who want to go uni :smile:

Thank ya both; I should go contact people and sort out getting a job and stuff. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I too was a pleb and cared more about getting drunk than education. :biggrin:

I did one last year and they're fantastic for getting in to uni - certainly better than doing 2 years of A-Levels. As for the fees, what I did, and what just about everyone did on my course, was sign on before the access course starts, then you get a concession fee of £150 rather than £2k (for ours), and when the course started, just start working again. Or it's free if you have less than 2 A-levels. Just sayin', 'cause there was no way I could afford the fee otherwise. :smile:
Speculate to accumulate.
Reply 6
If you're wondering if anyone else has done A Levels first, I did. I failed miserably at A Levels, getting a nice scattering of E's and D's at AS, and 1 A Level at a D. I was very depressed at the time and utterly uninterested in my studies - in my last summer A Level exam, I wrote one paragraph and slept through the rest of it! I went on and got a job after that, and eventually realised all the time I had wasted at college and how I wanted to make up for it. I had to pay the full fees as apparently 4 AS Levels (no matter how horrific) count as 2 A Levels...but I managed to scrape the money together. I'm now much more motivated in learning, am getting distinctions and have firmed Exeter :biggrin: Which I didn't think was even possible a year ago. I'm really enjoying learning so much more. I remember my old tutor at sixth form had told me "education just wasn't for me". Well, I've shown her :biggrin:
Original post by _N_
and have firmed Exeter :biggrin:

Me too! What are you studying?

And yes, there are people on my Access course with A levels, and not having them isn't the only reason to take the Access route.

Alot of people use it as a refresher course, or to give them a decent general studies qualification. It only takes a year, is less expensive, and again gives you the chance to get better grades than you got the first time round.

I definitely don't regret taking Access.
Reply 8
The university is no longer doing an access course but offered me an informal application for a degree; cause it's art... I'm not really sure. But I haven't got a portfolio, I'd have about two weeks to make one. I'm not sure if that's possible, should I decline it?:frown:

I might post another question in one of the art related forums.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Arghhhh
The university is no longer doing an access course but offered me an informal application for a degree; cause it's art... I'm not really sure. But I haven't got a portfolio, I'd have about two weeks to make one. I'm not sure if that's possible, should I decline it?:frown:

I might post another question in one of the art related forums.

Thank you for your help :smile:

What does 'an informal application' mean? If it means that they'll give you an interview then go for it. They might offer you a place based on what they see or they might advise you on what to do between now and next year to get a place. Do not decline a free interview. If they offer you something they can make a decision then.
Original post by jami74
What does 'an informal application' mean? If it means that they'll give you an interview then go for it. They might offer you a place based on what they see or they might advise you on what to do between now and next year to get a place. Do not decline a free interview. If they offer you something they can make a decision then.

This.
You sound like a cool dude. Go for it. All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending