ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitlerscopes)
    shut up
    Piss off my thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    I can't
    I would actually go see a doctor...or reading this might help http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm but it seems you are basically free running your sleep anyway...or if you finish reading that you can try email that guy, he might be interested in different sleep problems.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moya)
    I would actually go see a doctor...or reading this might help http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm but it seems you are basically free running your sleep anyway...or if you finish reading that you can try email that guy, he might be interested in different sleep problems.
    Thanks moya, you seem very kind Think I've spotted your replies to sleep posts in the past too..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    I am something like that back in reverse!! Despite getting up at 4:30 for work, I am still not tired at 10pm (boundless energy, want some!!) but at 4:30 am fairly tired, though a cup of coffee sorts that out pronto!! I don't have any real problems to be fair, I just spend ages trying to get to sleep; that's the worst part about bedtime (other than when I am on earlys I consistently wake up at 12am and 2am, frightened I am going to miss the alarm!!)
    Yeh I do this as well, been doing that for years. Usually it's university exams that has me waking up every hour on the hour.

I think I know the reason for waking up too early. Well, there are a few factors:

I don't think I'm entirely relaxed before going to sleep
    There is usually something playing on my mind (at the moment it's getting an extension for my dissertation) and in fact last night I dreamt about meeting my supervisor to discuss this issue.
    My house isn't the quietest place in the world to have a successful lie-in, people clattering about early in the morning.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have been and remain wary of using such, for fear that they will somehow mess things up on a far worse and more permanent basis. However, I feel like death on a daily basis so am probably doing myself a lot of damage Thanks.
    If your sleep is already constantly messed up, then what's there to be scared of? It won't get messed up even more.

I had the same fears as you when I was suffering from debilitating period pains and weakness that didn't allow me to get out of bed for days at a time, sometimes weeks. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to depend on hormone pills to stop it. In the end I thought life couldn't get any worse, so I just started taking the pills and I have been taking them for a year. My life couldn't be any better now. Not a day goes by when I don't appreciate the lack of pain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Piss off my thread.
    Go sleeeepppp
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    If your sleep is already constantly messed up, then what's there to be scared of? It won't get messed up even more.

I had the same fears as you when I was suffering from debilitating period pains and weakness that didn't allow me to get out of bed for days at a time, sometimes weeks. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to depend on hormone pills to stop it. In the end I thought life couldn't get any worse, so I just started taking the pills and I have been taking them for a year. My life couldn't be any better now. Not a day goes by when I don't appreciate the lack of pain.
    Thanks for this I think it is getting to that point now....
    I'm just such a thinker in normal circumstances - I don't really get stressed out, I love thinking non stop, the challenges etc. But this...this is live digging without a shovel I need to think basically to see what I'm going to do, but even writing this messages requires a huge deal of mental energy and drains me. I still don't get across the point in any case.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hitlerscopes)
    Go sleeeepppp
    lol
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK)
    Yeh I do this as well, been doing that for years. Usually it's university exams that has me waking up every hour on the hour.

I think I know the reason for waking up too early. Well, there are a few factors:

I don't think I'm entirely relaxed before going to sleep
    There is usually something playing on my mind (at the moment it's getting an extension for my dissertation) and in fact last night I dreamt about meeting my supervisor to discuss this issue.
    My house isn't the quietest place in the world to have a successful lie-in, people clattering about early in the morning.
    No, you're right about not relaxing, and I have missed the alarm once in the 8 months (when it didnt go off) so setting alarms on my phone as well as the alarm clock now!! Still hasnt eased worrying, but I havent missed one since!! And yes, I am a busy person, and I am forever thinking of something or another which plays on my mind!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    dont worry too much about getting sleep, that could stop you from getting sleep.

things will fall into place soon, just allow your sleep to fall into place when it is ready. try doing more exercise during the day.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bey Taco)
    dont worry too much about getting sleep, that could stop you from getting sleep.

things will fall into place soon, just allow your sleep to fall into place when it is ready. try doing more exercise during the day.
    How long before I start to do permanent damage though?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How long before I start to do permanent damage though?
    Much longer than you would assume... years. I know lots of people in uni who barely get 3 hours sleep and yet they seem to function okay. Your body is able to manage itself without you over thinking, trust it to work fine, it has worked fine for 22 years, isnt going to break apart in a fortnight. If it is desperate for sleep, it will sleep. Like a machine will charge when in a charger unless you stop it charging manuelly.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bey Taco)
    Much longer than you would assume... years. I know lots of people in uni who barely get 3 hours sleep and yet they seem to function okay. Your body is able to manage itself without you over thinking, trust it to work fine, it has worked fine for 22 years, isnt going to break apart in a fortnight. If it is desperate for sleep, it will sleep. Like a machine will charge when in a charger unless you stop it charging manuelly.
    I've had this to some degree for a year now, I'd say. Extreme since Christmas. I hope you are right. I'm also thinking of silly things like ageing looks etc. Thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    go for a 30 - 40min run/ workout before going to bed and dont eat/ drink any sugary drinks or foods 6 hours before going to bed - by 12pm you should be knackered
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morkike)
    go for a 30 - 40min run/ workout before going to bed and dont eat/ drink any sugary drinks or foods 6 hours before going to bed - by 12pm you should be knackered
    I am knackered. I just can't sleep.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The first part of this is a typical problem but the twist in the tale not so much as I am aware.

I struggle for ages to get to sleep at night, but do eventually. However when I wake up in the morning, I clearly need lots more sleep but just can't do it - I feel wired if that makes any sense, my nerves are on total edge and I feel really ill until I get up and do something really relaxing. After a while it eases slightly.

I'm chronically sleep deprived, I'd say. Let it slip for waaaaay too long and complete lack of concentration, memory lapses etc are common place in my life now. I managed to completely mess up my sleeping pattern and this seems to be the final result. I'm getting 5 hours sleep every night at best and my body doesn't seem to want to sleep more than that. If I go to bed earlier, I wake up earlier. Feeling as crushed or moreso than ever.

Anyone had the same issues? Please tell me you get back to normal with a bit of a push?

Many thanks
    This suggests you've got something on your mind, you're anxious about something or stressed about something. Don't add to your stress by being over concerned about your sleep. This is coming from someone who had exactly what you had for a good 2 months. Basically just calm down and don't stress (if you can) and don't stress yourself about not being able to sleep. A mug of warm milk before you sleep will help.

Also it's seriously normal. Millions of people suffer from it, especially during exam season. Nothing you mentioned is actually unusual: memory problems, concentration, chronically sleep deprived; all of it is completely normal when you haven't had sleep.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed at 9 and throw your alarm clock off the tallest roof you have access to.
    if you can't go to bed at 9 stop trying to fight nature, we're not nocturnal animals.
    oh and make sure you eat enough, if you don't get enough energy in from food your body can't properly produce melatonin from seratonin.
    alternatively eat a load of bananas or grapes or cherries before bed (they have melatonin in them)
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almasy)
    Go to bed at 9 and throw your alarm clock off the tallest roof you have access to.
    if you can't go to bed at 9 stop trying to fight nature, we're not nocturnal animals.
    oh and make sure you eat enough, if you don't get enough energy in from food your body can't properly produce melatonin from seratonin.
    alternatively eat a load of bananas or grapes or cherries before bed (they have melatonin in them)
    Thank You so much
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    i used to have that, go see your doctor if its serious enough they may prescribe some good meds failing that a few valiums will work a treat

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.