The Student Room Group

Can a university accept me if I get AAA instead of an A*AA offer.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Casshern1456
Why do you prefer CASS business school over UCL? Many people would beg to get into UCL, even if you do get a big grant I think you should think long term in employability, reputation and the course all considered.

I actually applied for the foundation course - BBB but they said my predicted grades were more suited for the main course - A*AA and so they gave me an offer for that course. Since the offer is higher, and they give a grant, I had to put CASS as my firm. Otherwise, I would have made UCL my firm - AAA and CASS (Foundation) my insurance - BBB. (I had also emailed them if it was possible to change my course back to foundation, but they said no, the offer was only made for the main course).
Original post by neverloggedin
CASS - Actuarial Science
UCL - Economics & Statistics

I prefer to go to UCL + They would certainly accept me if I get an A*AA.

oooh, UCL would be the better choice if im honest...im presuming you want to go into Investment Banking?

CASS undoubtedly has a better Postgraduate Reputation in the commerce world, however at undergraduate, not so much, I applied there too and was put-off by the fact that you don't even have classes at CASS, instead they're at the Northampton Square site at City :frown:

If you get A*AA, I think you'll be able to forego your offer at Cass and asked to be released, but you should ask UCL if they would accept you beforehand as its only your insurance, that way you don't end up with nowhere to go! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Evidence? Of what? That universities confirm offers to candidates that don't get the required grades? Read TSR for that; the place is full of people that get into AAA places with AAB. That time is all-important? Isn't it self-evident that places disappear from clearing extremely quickly? That it could take days to get into clearing? Again, search TSR for example of people that took even longer.

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to get upset. Just wondered if you could back up your assertions with facts that's all. No need to get defensive.
Original post by viksta1000
oooh, UCL would be the better choice if im honest...im presuming you want to go into Investment Banking?

CASS undoubtedly has a better Postgraduate Reputation in the commerce world, however at undergraduate, not so much, I applied there too and was put-off by the fact that you don't even have classes at CASS, instead they're at the Northampton Square site at City :frown:

If you get A*AA, I think you'll be able to forego your offer at Cass and asked to be released, but you should ask UCL if they would accept you beforehand as its only your insurance, that way you don't end up with nowhere to go! :biggrin:

Yup I prefer to go to Actuarial Science but as Econ & Stats gives me wider range of careers, I would go there than CASS (incase the Actuarial Science market drops :P)

To be honest I think I would most probably get an AAA than A*AA. But I'm pretty sure CASS will still give me an offer as I have seen people with AAA go there. That's where my dilemma is, as I want to go to UCL if I get AAA :frown:
Universities frequently do allow in candidates who don't attain the requirement, even competitive ones.
UCL in particular very rarely take part in clearing and as a matter of policy try to avoid it. The idea that they can correctly predict how many people are going to accept their offer and go on to meet the grade requirements puts just a little too much faith in the ability of teachers to give accurate predicted grades.

I think people just need to understand how inexact the process is. It's not something that people should hang hopes on but it still bloody happens!
Original post by maturestudy
Sorry, I didn't mean for you to get upset. Just wondered if you could back up your assertions with facts that's all. No need to get defensive.

That wasn't me being either upset or defensive. Nothing I've said is in any way controversial or doubtful. That was me wondering what you needed evidence of.
Yup I prefer to go to Actuarial Science but as Econ & Stats gives me wider range of careers, I would go there than CASS (incase the Actuarial Science market drops :P)

To be honest I think I would most probably get an AAA than A*AA. But I'm pretty sure CASS will still give me an offer as I have seen people with AAA go there. That's where my dilemma is, as I want to go to UCL if I get AAA :frown:

yeah, that's a dilemma, its similar to mine, as I had King's as FIRM with AAB, and CASS as Insurance with AAB too so on results day I got a letter from both saying that I'd been accepted :eek:,

what were your other choices?

Hope you get it sorted and go to where you want...Uni is a blast! :wink:
Original post by Llamageddon

I think people just need to understand how inexact the process is.

I agree completely, and I didn't mean to imply that all or even most near-misses are safe. Or even any at all for many courses.
I prefer to go to Actuarial Science

This doesn't really square with:

I want to go to UCL if I get AAA

since the UCL offer isn't for actuarial science.
Reply 49
Sorry to hijack the thread a little but you seem pretty knowledgeable so I wondered if you might answer a couple of questions?

Firstly are your offers able to see whether they are your firm or insurance choice and secondly are they more likely to accept you if you firm them even if you miss the requirements than if you put them as your insurance?

Original post by Logi

are your offers able to see whether they are your firm or insurance choice

Yes.

are they more likely to accept you if you firm them even if you miss the requirements than if you put them as your insurance?

To a degree, as many departments like to show some measure of loyalty to those who accept them firmly, as part of the incentive to get firm acceptances and to take candidates who have a history of interest in their course. It depends on how many other candidates achieve the requirements though.
Reply 51
Yes.

To a degree, as many departments like to show some measure of loyalty to those who accept them firmly, as part of the incentive to get firm acceptances and to take candidates who have a history of interest in their course. It depends on how many other candidates achieve the requirements though.
Thanks. Will rep when I can :smile:

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today! :angry:
This doesn't really square with:

since the UCL offer isn't for actuarial science.

I prefer to go to Actuarial Science but as Econ & Stats gives me wider range of careers...
Original post by viksta1000
yeah, that's a dilemma, its similar to mine, as I had King's as FIRM with AAB, and CASS as Insurance with AAB too so on results day I got a letter from both saying that I'd been accepted :eek:,

what were your other choices?

Hope you get it sorted and go to where you want...Uni is a blast! :wink:

I see. Shouldn't your Insurance offer be withdrawn as you already got your firm?

My other choices were Royal Holloway and Queen Mary but I don't want to go to those unis.

Yeah I hope it is sorted :smile: *Cross fingers* If get AAA>Cass Reject me>UCL accept me :smile:

EDIT: Oh crap double post, sorry.
I see. Shouldn't your Insurance offer be withdrawn as you already got your firm?

My other choices were Royal Holloway and Queen Mary but I don't want to go to those unis.

Yeah I hope it is sorted :smile: *Cross fingers* If get AAA>Cass Reject me>UCL accept me :smile:

EDIT: Oh crap double post, sorry.

yeah, that's what I thought...it came up on UCAS as King's Unconditional and cass as rejected, but for some reason got letter from both haha

oh yeah, UCL + CASS trump those unis

Good Luck! :wink:
I agree completely, and I didn't mean to imply that all or even most near-misses are safe. Or even any at all for many courses.
I didn't think you were implying that, I'm just very lazy in the way I quote people.
I actually applied for the foundation course - BBB but they said my predicted grades were more suited for the main course - A*AA and so they gave me an offer for that course. Since the offer is higher, and they give a grant, I had to put CASS as my firm. Otherwise, I would have made UCL my firm - AAA and CASS (Foundation) my insurance - BBB. (I had also emailed them if it was possible to change my course back to foundation, but they said no, the offer was only made for the main course).

In my honest opinion, unless the grant was a life changing sum of money (no way is it is) I would phone ucas up and ask if it was possible to reject CASS and leave UCL as your other option, on results day if you get AAA you'll get confirmed to UCL, I really don't think you should pass up this opportunity.
Original post by sharp910sh
Rubbish, if there is a lot competion which therer would be for an A*AA offer, he wouldnt get in with AAA. Or they would just offer AAA in the first place. Its 2012! they offered A*AA for a reason.

I think you are wrong. If the OP fails to get the grades it is still possible that the university might, at their discretion, accept the OP.
Reply 58
Original post by hannah.austin
I got an A*AA offer from Warwick, and got in last year with AAB. Just sayin'

did you ask to be accepted? or did they just accept you?
Reply 59
Original post by steve2005
I think you are wrong. If the OP fails to get the grades it is still possible that the university might, at their discretion, accept the OP.

well it will not be automatic, she/he will have to ask. so the op can get aaa and not have to worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending