The Student Room Group

Best route to become a Solicitor

I am starting a LLB course at London Met, I was wondering which is the best wat to work as a solicitor in the city, I know there will be people from the tops unis so what will be the best option for me to compete with them, I speak 4 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese and Polish) I have some work experience, I am thinking to get involved as much as I can to gain legal experience, etc.
I know london met, isnt the best place, but according to my research employability from graduates of London met is better than Greenwich believe it or not.

so my question are :

1) Do I have a chance to become a successful solicitor in the city, being a graduate from London met?

2) If i decided to go to the barrister route, how hard will be to get a TC and a pupilage ?

I appreciate genuine comments please.
Reply 1
sorry for digression but where did you get this information about Greenwich? its known that Greenwich is much better than Met, im starting it in September and i've been talking with people studying there, also read about both Unis, current Met students really regret going there so im just curious where this information comes from? and i see you speak Polish? are you from Poland?
Reply 2
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Law thats the web, even tho greenwich is 5 spaces above, the graduate prospect shows a higher percentage in london met, btw I m not polish, I am from Peru, but happens that I learned it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Before I post my response to your question regarding London Met, I would like to point out that TSR is not the best place to get “genuine” feedbacks from current students regardless of which university your question relates to. TSR is known to be frequented by snobbish students who are plain ignorant who takes pleasure in making fun of less prestigious universities. That’s TSR for you. Hence I personally avoid this forum for the sake of my sanity. (No offence!) If you are a prospective law student, I suggest you check out Rollonfriday, people are friendlier and they know more about law, the City etc. I felt compelled to sign up here to offer something helpful for you and so I hope.

Right, best way is get the grades (first class if you can!) and grab every opportunity you can in terms of extra curricular activity. London Met doesn't run out of these activities. There's the annual mooting competition which is judged by Lord Walker himself, an opportunity to compete with other universities when you win it, societies, law magazine and student union. It is down to you to juggle your priorities but make sure your academic performance doesn't suffer. I know some City firms that require at least 4 extra curricular activities from their applicants, and this is mandatory but silent requirement!

On top of those, you obviously need to equip yourself with legal experiences. How else can you show your commitment to a law career without having to show you did something relevant to your degree? Get some help from the faculty's Pro Bono clinic or you can apply to organisation such as the CAB, law centre or FRU. Experience in a law firm is unparalleled, so is mini-pupillage. But do not underestimate experiences that are not related to law such as retail, hospitality etc. Clue: Transferable skills!

Have all of these, coupled with good academics and you will be fine. As I am from London Met, I will tell you this with all honesty. London Met is not the best university, that is a fact as it is relatively new and have been mismanaged over the years. Students from Russell Group Unis have an outright advantage, and it would be naive to suggest otherwise. When it was still London Guildhall/City of London Poly, it has a great reputation with excellent connections with the City. If you dig deeper, you will find out that numerous City law firm partners graduated from London Met when it was City of London Poly/LGU. It is such a shame that it was ruined by a terrible merger with Univ. of North London.

Anyway, getting a TC or Pupillage is TOUGH! I have friends from Cambridge,LSE and Kings who haven't secured TC until now. I am fortunate enough to secure a TC with a medium City firm (2birds). But it wasn't easy! At the end of the day, it all comes down to YOU!

Good luck and ignore the mean comments!
Reply 4
Original post by mrberry
Before I post my response to your question regarding London Met, I would like to point out that TSR is not the best place to get “genuine” feedbacks from current students regardless of which university your question relates to. TSR is known to be frequented by snobbish students who are plain ignorant who takes pleasure in making fun of less prestigious universities. That’s TSR for you. Hence I personally avoid this forum for the sake of my sanity. (No offence!) If you are a prospective law student, I suggest you check out Rollonfriday, people are friendlier and they know more about law, the City etc. I felt compelled to sign up here to offer something helpful for you and so I hope.

Heh.
Reply 5
friendlier--- but watch out for the typical ROF banter :tongue:
Original post by mrberry

Right, best way is get the grades (first class if you can!) and grab every opportunity you can in terms of extra curricular activity. London Met doesn't run out of these activities. There's the annual mooting competition which is judged by Lord Walker himself, an opportunity to compete with other universities when you win it, societies, law magazine and student union. It is down to you to juggle your priorities but make sure your academic performance doesn't suffer. I know some City firms that require at least 4 extra curricular activities from their applicants, and this is mandatory but silent requirement!

On top of those, you obviously need to equip yourself with legal experiences. How else can you show your commitment to a law career without having to show you did something relevant to your degree? Get some help from the faculty's Pro Bono clinic or you can apply to organisation such as the CAB, law centre or FRU. Experience in a law firm is unparalleled, so is mini-pupillage. But do not underestimate experiences that are not related to law such as retail, hospitality etc. Clue: Transferable skills!

Have all of these, coupled with good academics and you will be fine. As I am from London Met, I will tell you this with all honesty. London Met is not the best university, that is a fact as it is relatively new and have been mismanaged over the years. Students from Russell Group Unis have an outright advantage, and it would be naive to suggest otherwise. When it was still London Guildhall/City of London Poly, it has a great reputation with excellent connections with the City. If you dig deeper, you will find out that numerous City law firm partners graduated from London Met when it was City of London Poly/LGU. It is such a shame that it was ruined by a terrible merger with Univ. of North London.

Anyway, getting a TC or Pupillage is TOUGH! I have friends from Cambridge,LSE and Kings who haven't secured TC until now. I am fortunate enough to secure a TC with a medium City firm (2birds). But it wasn't easy! At the end of the day, it all comes down to YOU!

Welcome to TSR.

Generally speaking the law/legal fora are fairly civilised places.

That is a very helpful contribution and I think it is useful to have a contribution from a TC holder at a new university.

However with Roper and now Gillies, London Met seems to have something of a death wish.
Reply 7
Original post by mrberry

Thank you so much for your help, I will take it on board, and I agree there are too many means comments and the sad part is that, they dont care about the questions itself but only demoralise anyone who isnt in Oxford or Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending