Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Veganism

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about veganism recently as I'm already a vegetarian and have encountered the following arguments upon discussion with friends. Here are my conclusions to the following arguments against!

1. "The cows would all die if we didn't use them for meat/leather/etc..."

NO. The reason they are domesticated is for human consumption. If they weren't used in this way by humans, then surely they'd be in the wild. The reason a cow is bred in captivity is because it is being supplied for a human demand. If it wasn't demanded, then it would not be supplied.

2. "What about GM veggies?"

The problem with GM is that it will probably become increasingly necessary in the future of our planet with population issues and increasing food shortage. The idea of veganism is minimal harm of sentient beings. I don't know much about GM and the chemicals used though.

3. "But how will we test new medicines and cosmetics?"

Surely we have all the cosmetic ingredients tested which we need to know about... And knowledge of chemical compounds which make us allergic. However, life saving medicines are probably a different story. I believe that products should be tested on humans as far as possible by offering large monetary incentive or something.

4. "But vitamin tablets are stupid and expensive. It's kind of antisocial to be vegan at other peoples house isn't it?"
    Until veganism becomes more widespread, it'd be difficult to eat out vegan. However, my idea is that as far as possible I will eat vegan.
    Vitamin tablets - why not if they're available and you can afford to do so.

5. "But its sooo unhealthy!"
    Complete rubbish, as calcium is naturally occurring in some green veggies, as is iron.
    Meat actually increases your risk of various cancers and heart disease.

So what about organic? What about free range?
    Free range is dubious, as male hens are still killed for being the wrong gender. Organic - I'd love to hear some opinions on! Thanks for reading
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody would allow the cows to roam free, the land would be used for building or agriculture.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elf.)
    1. "The cows would all die if we didn't use them for meat/leather/etc..."

NO. The reason they are domesticated is for human consumption. If they weren't used in this way by humans, then surely they'd be in the wild. The reason a cow is bred in captivity is because it is being supplied for a human demand. If it wasn't demanded, then it would not be supplied.
    They have been domesticated over thousands of years, selectivley bred to our purposes, which is meat yield. Most lack horns and have never been confronted with wild predators.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elf.)
    2. "What about GM veggies?"

The problem with GM is that it will probably become increasingly necessary in the future of our planet with population issues and increasing food shortage. The idea of veganism is minimal harm of sentient beings. I don't know much about GM and the chemicals used though.
    That's not a problem with GM foods... that's GM foods solving a problem lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elf.)

"The cows would all die if we didn't use them for meat/leather/etc..."
    The irony of this! :clap2:

(I'm vegan, btw)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    That's not a problem with GM foods... that's GM foods solving a problem lol.
    yeah I meant the problem of not using GM
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will never be enough vegans for the amount of cows bred to be reduced, so although it might make you feel better, the fact of the matter is no less cows are being slaughtered because you won't wear leather shoes or eat beef.

And for that reason, I'm off to the steak house. :rolleyes:

Why the neg rep? You know I'm right!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Puffs are vegens
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Nobody would allow the cows to roam free, the land would be used for building or agriculture.
    Look at india.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Look at india.
    Religious reasons
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It isn't difficult to eat out when you're vegan, even Maccies has a vegan burger as of a few days ago. Try it out and see how it goes, PM me if you have questions I've been vegan for years
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:

Religious reasons
    Still a reason.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Still a reason.
    A reason not applicable to this country due to its relatively tiny Hindu population :indiff:
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:

A reason not applicable to this country due to its relatively tiny Hindu population :indiff:
    You said "nobody" and did not mention UK at all.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a hypothetical situation based on the premise that the country turns vegan, if it didn't then livestock would continue in the same way and if it did then obviously provisions would be made for them, since the whole country's embraced veganism. It's a pointless discussion anyway really cause it will never happen but still
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I am a vegan and I have to say, its one of the most difficult decisions I have made but one of the best ones ever. So I have always been a vegetarian but as I got older some things didn't quite sit with me. I didn't really know why I was a vegetarian. So I started reading around and I paid especially close attention to the diet of early humans. It seemed that they were scarcely eating meat and the meat they did eat was the meat that they hunted. I thought that this was good justification for being vegetarian as I was not physically or mentally in a position in which I would be able to kill my own animals. However, it turned out that early humans stopped drinking milk when they were around two years old and the milk that they did drink was their mothers. We were never meant to drink cow's milk, it is made for the calf, not for us. I have developed this argument further to include all animal products but the bottom line is, I believe that the person who wants to use any sort of animal product should have to obtain it themselves from the animal, not from a shop.

As it stands I live in the UK and I have not had any problem when it comes to eating out. Almost all restaurants have salads and they are usually happy to remove cheese from meals for example

And with regards to the question, cows would roam free and wild as they were supposed with their population controlled by predation if it wasn't for the number of people who consume cow products. Not only would this reduce the amount of methane but also, the unused farmland could become wild once again ... although this would take time and I may be being a little idealistic because of the use of fertilisers on the land for such a long time
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just going to put this out there... isn't eating meat natural? Surely as humans we have developed to become the top of a food chain, thus eating meat is natural?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomPugh)
    Just going to put this out there... isn't eating meat natural? Surely as humans we have developed to become the top of a food chain, thus eating meat is natural?
    Our ancestors also did many other things which were natural that now, with the development of a sophisticated brain and an ability to reason, along with a developed society, we now consider to be normativel wrong
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the majority of society would class eating meat as a "normative wrong"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eh, OP do some research.

1#
    Humans have domesticated many animals...Including those that would kill for meat. Nevertheless, cows would still be used by food if they were in the wild, probably we'd be sharing and killing more animals indirectly . At least we can control and regulate rather than relying on the natural order of the ecosystems to maintain a stable population.

I mean, we could just kill them off like the dodos in either case.

3#
    Interesting to see that you consider less of your fellow man. Human trials are already dangerous enough. Even so, it would greatly hinder medication development for animals as well.

4#
    vitamin tablets don't have good rep. More often than not, people use vitamin tablets as an excuse for an unhealthy diet.

If we're talking about red meat then maybe yes, beyond on what you'll need, fish is meat and contributes to a healthy diet in many cultures. Still, meat is the only way in which you gain large amounts of energy in small portions of food.

I would rather be well nourished without having to eat ample amount of food.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 3, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.