Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

% of EMA spent on alcohol and drugs

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was curious if this occurs in other parts of the country too? And what peoples opinion are on it?
    I'm asking this because at my school over 50% of the people who receive EMA will spend it on alcohol and drugs.
    I also struggle to understand why private school kids who are not on scholarships or bursaries receive EMA?
    I'm in favour of EMA giving vouchers for food and clothes rather than cash into the bank account to prevent this kind of thing.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you got the full results of your study? Would be interesting to see them and the breakdown by income and percentage spend etc
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought they'd stopped EMA.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OpenArms)
    I was curious if this occurs in other parts of the country too? And what peoples opinion are on it?
    I'm asking this because at my school over 50% of the people who receive EMA will spend it on alcohol and drugs.
    I also struggle to understand why private school kids who are not on scholarships or bursaries receive EMA?
    I'm in favour of EMA giving vouchers for food and clothes rather than cash into the bank account to prevent this kind of thing.
    50% of the people? Or 50% of their EMA?

We're not stupid here. You can't just mix percentages like that. We notice.

Click here for further explanation of why the OP is trying to con you with statistics.

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we are stupid here, going by the neggers. Did it hurt that he fooled you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seems slightly ridiculous to say that half of EMA-recipients in your school spend it on both alcohol AND drugs
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    EMA is a tricky issue because I'm sure there are lots of people who really value it and make good use of it. However some people just spend it on anything as you say. Vouchers sound a good idea in principle but there are many things that just wouldn't be possible for, like some students might use it on anything from transport to school food so it would be difficult to implement. I thought it had already been got rid of in England.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recieved ema and my mum would be shocked if I'd bought any of those things.

I did buy a bunch of school related things and the odd pair of jeans etc which perhaps I shouldn't have, I think it ought to be more tightly regulated to prevent frivolous spending especially on alcohol and drugs. However I disagree with the token idea there is too much stigma attached there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There will always be people who will use it for alcohol or drugs, there's not much anyone can do about that, but there is plenty of people who use it for things like traveling to college ect, who wouldn't be able to get the money from their parents.

And no, EMA hasn't stopped, they carried it on for the people who used to receive £30 but not £20 or £10, and they dropped the £30 to £20 per week.

Maybe the private school kids who get EMA actually need it? Obviously lots of them have rich parents but out of the ones who do get it maybe their parents put all their spare money into sending them to private school? I'm not too sure how they could afford it considering the boundary for EMA is about £30k, maybe they're doing the whole 'single parent' scam? - meaning there is a rich parent who doesn't live with the child who gives them money, pays school fees ect, then a less well off parent who the child actually lives with, and EMA is means tested on who you live with.. e.g the parent with less money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't get ema but I think its daft to say that its wasted on stuff like alcohol and drugs. Think about the amount of uni students or college students who get a bursary and spend it on alcohol and drugs. I'd say that that is a higher percentage than students spending ema on alcohol and drugs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't if you qualified for it. And making EMA into food stamps seems a bit harsh...

Sure some kids on EMA don't spend it on what they're supposed to, but they don't all do that. It's like the age-old stereotype that all gypsies steal. It's a generalisation and nobody believes your numbers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    50% of the people? Or 50% of their EMA? Because that would be 25% of EMA spent on alcohol and drugs.

Where is the confusion in this statement?

50% of the people who receive EMA will spend it on alcohol and drugs
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who got EMA did need it, but obviously there was no way of policing what people would spend it on. My group of friends saved up their EMA in Y12 and went on holiday to Spain in the summer which I couldn't afford and my so called "rich parents" couldn't either. But I would never resent it being used for proper purposes as I do know I'm lucky to live in a house that's ours in a reasonable area. But what some of it gets used for is a joke.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Its THIS thread again.
    It's been done to death, OP. Every single thread has the same replies, a mixture of angry people who don't think anyone should get it, and angry people who think its a good thing. Your make believe study wont change that, pal.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Have you got the full results of your study? Would be interesting to see them and the breakdown by income and percentage spend etc
    Surprisingly enough I never actually got my notepad out and asked for their income It does sound like a good idea though. I might research it further.

(Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    50% of the people? Or 50% of their EMA? Because that would be 25% of EMA spent on alcohol and drugs.

I refer you to a post above which asks what is confusing about my statement as it is pretty clear.

(Original post by Dave129)
    Seems slightly ridiculous to say that half of EMA-recipients in your school spend it on both alcohol AND drugs
    You don't know my school :rolleyes:

(Original post by popsicles3)
    There will always be people who will use it for alcohol or drugs, there's not much anyone can do about that, but there is plenty of people who use it for things like traveling to college ect, who wouldn't be able to get the money from their parents.

And no, EMA hasn't stopped, they carried it on for the people who used to receive £30 but not £20 or £10, and they dropped the £30 to £20 per week.

Maybe the private school kids who get EMA actually need it? Obviously lots of them have rich parents but out of the ones who do get it maybe their parents put all their spare money into sending them to private school? I'm not too sure how they could afford it considering the boundary for EMA is about £30k, maybe they're doing the whole 'single parent' scam? - meaning there is a rich parent who doesn't live with the child who gives them money, pays school fees ect, then a less well off parent who the child actually lives with, and EMA is means tested on who you live with.. e.g the parent with less money.
    I think anybody who can afford 9k+ a year for education doesn't need £30 a year and if they do. They shouldn't be paying £9k a year.

(Original post by lonelykatana)
    Yay! Its THIS thread again.
    It's been done to death, OP. Every single thread has the same replies, a mixture of angry people who don't think anyone should get it, and angry people who think its a good thing. Your make believe study wont change that, pal.
    Apologies I did search for it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually ask every person in your school or are you making a wild generalisation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My EMA went on a Nintendo Wii, HDTV, many retro games consoles, meals out, nights out, shopping trips, birthday/Christmas presents and travelling round the country.

Haters gonna hate :awesome:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    All of my friends who get EMA basically spend it on alcohol except my best mate who spends his on weed and the odd line of ching.

I'm jealous of folk who get EMA.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    EMA was a good idea, it was just abused.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    A lot of people who got EMA did need it, but obviously there was no way of policing what people would spend it on. My group of friends saved up their EMA in Y12 and went on holiday to Spain in the summer which I couldn't afford and my so called "rich parents" couldn't either. But I would never resent it being used for proper purposes as I do know I'm lucky to live in a house that's ours in a reasonable area. But what some of it gets used for is a joke.
    I agree. I know some people who saved their EMA for university, whereas I know others who spent it on alcohol. You cannot control what its spent on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What was the exact percentage? I'm presuming you did a full statistical survey?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.