Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you sell yourself to pay uni fees?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you sell yourself to pay off uni fees?
    Yes
    23.26%
    No
    76.74%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol no its pathetic. I don't see how they can have any self respect at all.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find the 'respect' points interesting. I'd actually have a lot of respect for a person so committed they did absolutely everything in their power to get an education, even if it meant very unpleasant experiences along the way. I don't think that's the case a lot of the time when UK students work in the sex industry to get some extra money, but it's a point worth thinking about. Doing something you feel is degrading because it's the only way to achieve your goal is a sign of remarkable dedication.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, because, for the millionth time, university fees do not need to be paid up front and you get financial support for living expenses :rolleyes: After uni when it's time to pay it off, it's only a small fraction of what you actually earn so you'll barely notice it and you pay nothing when you aren't earning anything. I do not understand the reasoning of people turning to extremes to "pay their way through university" - loads of people manage with the loan alone never mind a job, you just need to learn how to budget.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a bit of a double standard in this case.
    As a guy, i wouldnt mind doing it, i get money for having sex is the way i see it. 2 birds, 1 stone.
    For a woman, its for money but always ends up not being about the money. Society is less understanding when females are involved. Besides, you dont have to pay it back till after uni and even then its not noticeable when it is taken monthly.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No way, You see I dont understand why people do such a thing. Its discusting. A body should be respected and treated right, you wouldnt want a scanky bloke dribbling all over you. Come on man where's the brain..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Depends on where you are and what you are doing. Not every course is eligible for a loan and living in, for example, central London does not come cheap. If your relationship with your parents is awful, then you can end up on minimum support too because they won't do the forms.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that, faced with a choice between spending twenty hours a week going 'do you want fries with that?' or an hour sucking willies for the same money, that some people chose the latter.
    well you do get bigger maintenance loans if you live in London.

But don't think that's mainly the case, after all OP has mentioned Kent which is cheaper than London.

As I said, there might be reasons such as parents kicked you out so you need money to pay for accommodation in the summer, or simply you like to spend a lot. But people aren't forced to do this work simply to pay off their uni fees. Or even the debt after uni considering how the student loan system works.

You're right some may prefer prostitution over menial yet honest work. But that's a choice they make, I'm sure they would scrape enough money without having to go to prostitution (as it pays better). So paying your uni through prostitution doesn't really seem validated. It never really becomes that last resort for students struggling to pay off their uni fees.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LemonLizards)
    But people aren't forced to do this work simply to pay off their uni fees.
    Sure, but personally I read 'uni fees' as 'the cost of going to university' which is rather more than the £9k per year (or whatever) direct fee. (Plus some people pay more with no UK support.)

(Original post by LemonLizards)
    You're right some may prefer prostitution over menial yet honest work. But that's a choice they make, I'm sure they would scrape enough money without having to go to prostitution (as it pays better). So paying your uni through prostitution doesn't really seem validated. It never really becomes that last resort for students struggling to pay off their uni fees.
    It is somewhat insulting to suggest that prostitution is not 'honest'*. One person pays someone else an agreed amount and they help them have a good sexual time - what could be more honest than that? Certainly not so much behaviour on the dating scene: think of the number of people who will lie in order to get the sex they want, from saying 'I love you' when they don't onwards.

I'd agree that it's not the last resort. Spending half an average working week or more in a McJob would be that for me.

* A quick reminder that prostitution is legal in the UK.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole debate has more to do with post-graduate fees than anything else. I wouldn't see the logic of undergraduate fees.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)

I'd agree that it's not the last resort. Spending half an average working week or more in a McJob would be that for me.
    Just shows your sheer snobbery that selling yourself is more preferable than doing a job that so many have no choice but to do to get by.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CUFCDan)
    Just shows your sheer snobbery that selling yourself is more preferable than doing a job that so many have no choice but to do to get by.
    Personally, yes, I'd rather hire out my sexual skills than work twenty times as long serving burgers in an uncomfortable environment. Is that snobbery? No, it's a choice.

Different people make different choices. I don't see the choice of people doing McJobs as better or worse for them - only they know that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.