The Student Room Group

Student accommodation (Ipswich)

Hi guys!

I am new to this site. The reason I signed up was to ask about the student accommodations in Ipswich (I'm sure I will be using this site a lot later on hah).
I have applied for a viewing with both Athena hall and Spring court but neither have got back to me yet. Which do you guys advise?

I will also be studying photography at UCS. So if any of you are going into your first year for the same course, give me a shout! :smile:
Hi :smile:

Not sure if you still want a reply...seeing as it's been two months...:O

BUT. I went for Athena Hall, it's the highest recommended, I haven't had a chance to see it apart from pictures. It looked good though. :smile:

I'll be doing Social Work, so complete opposite ends of the spectrum :smile:

But it's good to meet someone else going to UCS on this site :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by miss_colourful
Hi :smile:

Not sure if you still want a reply...seeing as it's been two months...:O

BUT. I went for Athena Hall, it's the highest recommended, I haven't had a chance to see it apart from pictures. It looked good though. :smile:

I'll be doing Social Work, so complete opposite ends of the spectrum :smile:

But it's good to meet someone else going to UCS on this site :biggrin:

I'm going UCS too :-) but I live just outside of Ipswich so not staying in halls!
Original post by darreng
I'm going UCS too :-) but I live just outside of Ipswich so not staying in halls!

A fellow student!!! :biggrin:

It looks to be that a lot of people that go to UCS are travelling in from somewhere...

What course are you doing?
Reply 4
A fellow student!!! :biggrin:

It looks to be that a lot of people that go to UCS are travelling in from somewhere...

What course are you doing?

Yeah, it seems that most people who apply for UCS live in the area!

I'm going to be doing Diagnostic Radiography - can't wait! How about you?
Reply 5
Im transferring uni to UCS. Will hopefully be living in Athena, where are peoples rooms? Im transferring to Criminology and youth studies :smile:
Original post by darreng
Yeah, it seems that most people who apply for UCS live in the area!

I'm going to be doing Diagnostic Radiography - can't wait! How about you?

I wonder why that is? Is Ipswich/Suffolk that awesome?? :tongue:

I'm doing Social Work :smile: Been trying to get in for 2 years!! SO happy I got in!!!

Original post by ~carly~
Im transferring uni to UCS. Will hopefully be living in Athena, where are peoples rooms? Im transferring to Criminology and youth studies :smile:

2nd year or restarting 1st year? I'm in Athena as well, any idea what block you're in? I'm block A I think...but I keep reading my accommodation form thingy wrong...:s-smilie:
Reply 7

I'm doing Social Work :smile: Been trying to get in for 2 years!! SO happy I got in!!!

2nd year or restarting 1st year? I'm in Athena as well, any idea what block you're in? I'm block A I think...but I keep reading my accommodation form thingy wrong...:s-smilie:

Haha nah I don't think you could really call Ipswich awesome at all lol. Aww well done :-) I'm debating maybe moving to halls but think its a bit of a waste of monies...
Original post by darreng
Haha nah I don't think you could really call Ipswich awesome at all lol. Aww well done :-) I'm debating maybe moving to halls but think its a bit of a waste of monies...

Ahh...that's reassuring...but I'm not much at of a club person anyways, so the night life wasn't all that important to me :smile:

It could be considering most people only live there for like one year...then move into a house...where I assume you already are...so pointless really...:tongue:
Reply 9

Im going in as a second year, my course last year overlaps luckily! I havent booked yet, think im going for either block B or E though, but not sure! Are you in a cluster flat or studio?
Original post by ~carly~
Im going in as a second year, my course last year overlaps luckily! I havent booked yet, think im going for either block B or E though, but not sure! Are you in a cluster flat or studio?

Where are you transferring from? If that's not too nosy...
I have a friend who can't transfer at all till her 3rd year...since no unis do her course in the same order...:confused:

I'm in a cluster flat :biggrin: Saw no point in a studio, I wanted to meet people...and I know nobody going to UCS, so it's a brand new start for me!

I'm in block A, apparently Block A-C(or D) are recommended for 1st year students and the others are recommended for 2nd/3rd years :smile:
Reply 11
Where are you transferring from? If that's not too nosy...
I have a friend who can't transfer at all till her 3rd year...since no unis do her course in the same order...:confused:

I'm in a cluster flat :biggrin: Saw no point in a studio, I wanted to meet people...and I know nobody going to UCS, so it's a brand new start for me!

I'm in block A, apparently Block A-C(or D) are recommended for 1st year students and the others are recommended for 2nd/3rd years :smile:

Im transferring from notts trent, not being able to transfer till 3rd year is pretty annoying. Thats cool, im older as well and wanted my own space so studio for me, dont really like going clubbing either would rather go to the pub haha! You might have said already but it'll be your first year will it? :smile:
Original post by ~carly~
Im transferring from notts trent, not being able to transfer till 3rd year is pretty annoying. Thats cool, im older as well and wanted my own space so studio for me, dont really like going clubbing either would rather go to the pub haha! You might have said already but it'll be your first year will it? :smile:

Ahh...Nottingham Trent, that was the highest applied university when all my year was applying...:smile:

Yep, I'm going into first year :smile: One of the few who don't drink :P
Reply 13
Ahh...Nottingham Trent, that was the highest applied university when all my year was applying...:smile:

Yep, I'm going into first year :smile: One of the few who don't drink :P

Arrr i dont drink really either! Cant wait to actually be in my flat now!
Original post by ~carly~
Arrr i dont drink really either! Cant wait to actually be in my flat now!

I can't wait to move out of my house now!!! :biggrin:
Reply 15
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Hey, I'm a second year at UCS and I spent my first year at Athena Hall and will be living there this year as well. Athena Hall is by far the best halls available, Spring Court is seen as the place were people who have been black listed from Athena Hall go and generally just has a poor reputation. Athena Hall is very satisfactory but there are a few things that can begin to grate after a while. Firstly are the fire alarms, one night in the winter I remember it going off 13 times! If you get a room there try to be on the 1st to 4th floor because above there the windows only open about an inch and when you have a western facing room on a sunny day its unbearable, the heat is just horrible, we all had to get fans and air conditioning units for the flat. Also try to avoid being given a flat on the overlooking the courtyard because my hell it gets noisy (even in a monday night). But overall its best value for what you get, especially if you get a silver room because from what I have seen, Bronze rooms are tiny!
Agree totally with the above. Athena hall is nice but what Bonkers Architect gets away with designing accommodation with almost zero ventilation. Gasp Gasp Gasp in the stifling heat on a summers day. Windows that just don't open enough to let that stuff in we call air. O yes and what about the cladding is that plastic too....?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending