The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you believe in a superior race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pyramidologist
Caucasoid

Reduced or no prognathism (orthognathic)
Leptorrhine (thin) nose
Prominent nasal spine
Thin nasal bridge + interorbital area
Nasal Index: - 48 mm
Prominent nasal sill
Tear shaped nasal hole(s)
Prominent chin
Thin lips
Larger supraorbital (brow) ridges
Microdont (small) teeth
Cymotrichous (wavy) hair

Negroid

Extreme facial prognathism
Platyrrhine (wide) nose
Reduced nasal spine
Wide nasal bridge + interorbital area
Nasal Index: 53 + mm
Absent Nasal sill
Round shaped nasal hole(s)
Rounder chin
Thick lips
Reduced supraorbital (brow) ridges
Macrodont (large) teeth
Ulotrichous (wooly) hair

Mongoloid

Moderate facial prognathism
Mesorrhine (medium) nose
Medium nasal spine
Moderate nasal bridge + interorbital area
Nasal Index: 48-53
Less prominent nasal sill
Oval shaped nasal hole(s)
Slightly prominent chin
Moderate lips
Small supraorbital (brow) ridges
Mesadont (medium) teeth
Shovel-shaped incisors
Leiotrichous (straight) hair
Epicanthic folds
What is 'moderate', 'medium', 'extreme', 'slight', etc.? A 'rounder chin' than what? Do you have any pictures? What about 'pure' 'Capaloids' and 'Australoids'?
Original post by cl_steele
he does raise a point that im curious about, why did the europeans develop so much faster than the other civilisations of the day? when we were out colonising the place and building what now amounts to western civilisation the peoples of africa, america, australia were still relatively far behind ... is it sheer coincidence or is there an actual reason for this?
and please before someone gets trigger happy with the neg rep button bare in mind this is a question not a mind set :rolleyes:

2000 years ago the Romans described Britons as barbarians, conquered most of England and enslaved some of our people. 1000 years before that the Greeks and Egyptians would have considered the Romans as barbarians and uncivilised. At around this time China and India, I believe, had far more developed civilisations with regards to culture, engineering and mathematics. Even 1000 years ago, Ghana had a pretty decent civilisation that would compare to Briton before the Romans. Anyway, 2000 years is nothing compared to the time period for which homo-sapiens have been on the scene. Using the analogy of that time period being a 12 hour day, the 2000 years is the equivalent of 8minutes of relative success. Enjoy it before it fades away :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by karateworm
That someone in the 21st century with access to the internet can be stupid enough to believe this strikes me as odd.

Love your sig
Reply 123
No
Original post by whyumadtho
What is 'moderate', 'medium', 'extreme', 'slight', etc.? A 'rounder chin' than what? Do you have any pictures? What about 'pure' 'Capaloids' and 'Australoids'?

The five races:

Caucasoid (Europe, Western Asia, North Africa) -

Mongoloid (Eastern Asia, Central Asia, Americas) -

Negroid (Western Sub-Sahara Africa) -

Capoid (Southern Sub-Sahara Africa) -

Australoid (Australia, South-East Asia) -

Source of illustrations: Coon, 1962.
The five races:

Caucasoid (Europe, Western Asia, North Africa) -

Mongoloid (Eastern Asia, Central Asia, Americas) -

Negroid (Western Sub-Sahara Africa) -

Capoid (Southern Sub-Sahara Africa) -

I'm seeing an awful lot of overlap of physical features and I still don't know what constitutes those qualitative terms that were used. Were these just random persons selected in different geographical areas? 1962 didn't have genetic testing, so what is there to suggest these individuals are 'pure' other than the photographer's individual interpretation of what features constitute 'race' (hence, circular reasoning)? I'm also unsure why you've presented children, men, women and persons of different ages when physical dimensions differ between these variables alone. Answer the rest of my questions.

You said earlier that morphological gradients do not exist; therefore, do all people resemble those depicted in those photographs?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by Dont Tread On Me
I find it hard to believe that through evolution of humans the only thing that has changed is skin colour, and to a lesser extent, bone structures. Is it not plausible that the intellectual capacity of certain races has evolved beyond those of others, creating an intellectually superior race?

I see your reasoning and it does make sense. Unfortunately the statistics show that any intellectual differences between races is minimal at best.
The real flux in intellectual capability is our genes.
We could always create a master race with selective breeding. As of right now though, there isn't one.
This is not me saying there isn't a particular race that is intellectual superior to other races. I'm saying that the margin is too slim for them be called a 'master race'
The five races:

No need for that
Original post by thomaskurian89
Intellectually, Whites and East Asians are superior to Blacks, South Asians and Hispanics.

Physically, Blacks are superior, followed by Whites.

ALL Asians are stereotyped to be geniuses. If you don't believe me, then try applying to a college as any kind of Asian, especially South Asian and East Asian (well, you already acknowledged the latter) and you'll notice that the accepting standards vary greatly for any kind of Asian, especially South and East.

Also: there's no such thing as a race. If you re-read your post, you'll see that you're comparing skin colors to regions of the world. (Why are you comparing apples to oranges?) Anyhow, how much melanin your skin does or doesn't produce and what region of the world your most recent family is from doesn't dictate how smart and strong you are. Anyone can be smart by getting an education, studying hard, doing well in school, and learning new things outside of school everyday. Similarly, anyone can be strong by working out, eating healthily, and getting regular check-ups.
(edited 11 years ago)
If we take this image:

We can clearly see a non-coterminous gradient of physical features, which disproves your notion of 'racial purity'. Morphological characteristics don't prove the existence of 'race'.
The human race
If we take this image:

We can clearly see a non-coterminous gradient of physical features, which disproves your notion of 'racial purity'. Morphological characteristics don't prove the existence of 'race'.

This image is fake, its computer generated.

If what you claim is true, then find a Negroid with straight hair and a thin nose. Post a proper picture here.
(edited 11 years ago)
This image is fake, its computer generated.
It's a composite image of people in the countries/regions stated and is far more representative of a population than an image of one person.

If what you claim is true, then find a Negroid with straight hair and a thin nose. Post a picture proper here.
You don't seem to understand what a gradient is.
I'm seeing an awful lot of overlap of physical features and I still don't know what constitutes those qualitative terms that were used. Were these just random persons selected in different geographical areas? 1962 didn't have genetic testing, so what is there to suggest these individuals are 'pure' other than the photographer's individual interpretation of what features constitute 'race' (hence, circular reasoning)? I'm also unsure why you've presented children, men, women and persons of different ages when physical dimensions differ between these variables alone. Answer the rest of my questions.

You said earlier that morphological gradients do not exist; therefore, do all people resemble those depicted in those photographs?

They are the main five racial types in the geographical boundaries listed. They look nothing alike, the fact they may share a few traits through convergent evolution is irrelevant, as they widely differ in many craniofacial features (it is the differences that seperates the races based on phenotype):

Caucasoid - orthognathic, leptorrhine nosed, wavy haired
Negroid - prognathic, platyrrhine nosed, wooly haired
Mongoloid - mesognathic, mesorrhine nosed, straight haired

Negroids don't have wavy or straight hair and a thin nose, nor do Caucasoids have a wide nose or wooly hair. These are only basic differences from a quick observation, but anthropologists know many more, and i can give you a whole list from craniometric measurements, bone thickness to ear wax type.
They are the main five racial types in the geographical boundaries listed. They look nothing alike, the fact they may share a few traits through convergent evolution is irrelevant, as they widely differ in many craniofacial features (it is the differences that seperates the races based on phenotype):

Caucasoid - orthognathic, leptorrhine nosed, wavy haired
Negroid - prognathic, platyrrhine nosed, wooly haired
Mongoloid - mesognathic, mesorrhine nosed, straight haired

Negroids don't have wavy or straight hair and a thin nose, nor do Caucasoids have a wide nose or wooly hair. These are only basic differences from a quick observation, but anthropologists know many more, and i can give you a whole list from craniometric measurements, bone thickness to ear wax type.
These traits are gradational and overlapping. Are you going to answer my questions?
It's a composite image of people in the countries/regions stated and is far more representative of a population than an image of one person.

You don't seem to understand what a gradient is.

Please just ignore them. You are unlikely to change their minds, just as they are unlikely to change yours. I feel this debates is getting a bit stale now. The man facts have been stated: free-thinking readers of the thread can decide for themselves. All this discussion will do is leave a sour aftertaste, better to stop chewing over the facts and be done with it.
But I must admit, you do seem to have a sensible and amusing character.
(edited 11 years ago)
I think this thread has proven to some degree that the idea of "race" doesn't really exist, except in the minds of some.
These traits are gradational and overlapping. Are you going to answer my questions?

Those traits are not ''gradational and overlapping''. Perhaps one day open up an anthropology book. Like i said, you can disprove my claims anytime. But you already failed. If all phenotypic traits are overlapping, find a photo of a Negroid with straight hair.
If there was one race I would consider superior, it would be Ashkenazi Jews.
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
If there was one race I would consider superior, it would be Ashkenazi Jews.

They are an ethnic group, not a race. Racially they are Caucasoid.

Latest

Trending

Trending