Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Am I Wasting My Time?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently approaching the end of my first year at university studying Theatre.
    I intend to get my PGCE after graduating to then be able to teach post 16 Drama as I believe I could do a great job.

For a while now I've been interested in Meteorology and Climate Science after researching the two, however this newly found interest is all very new to me. I left school without any qualifications, going to a college to gain I.T, Maths and English GCSE before then studying A Level Theatre to access university.

I'm thinking about taking up a couple of GCSE's with ICS in Chemistry and Physics during my second year of university. I'm currently fantasising over the idea of eventually completing A level Maths and Physics or Chemistry to then study Meteorology and Climate Science at university level when I'm much older which would pave way for me to perhaps then become a Climatologist (for example).

I'm wondering whether I'm speaking crap or not. If I undertake these GCSE's (see how I do), but decide that actually I don't want to pursue Science and Maths, will these GCSE's prove worthless (as I'll already have a degree in Theatre) when searching for employment in the job market?

All things aside I'm not entirely sure what I want to do when I'm older, hence this thread. I'm unsure if these GCSE's can help me become more versatile in the job market if I decide not to undertake them at A Level..

Thank you for reading!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earplugs)
    Hi,

I'm currently approaching the end of my first year at university studying Theatre.
    I intend to get my PGCE after graduating to then be able to teach post 16 Drama as I believe I could do a great job.

For a while now I've been interested in Meteorology and Climate Science after researching the two, however this newly found interest is all very new to me. I left school without any qualifications, going to a college to gain I.T, Maths and English GCSE before then studying A Level Theatre to access university.

I'm thinking about taking up a couple of GCSE's with ICS in Chemistry and Physics during my second year of university. I'm currently fantasising over the idea of eventually completing A level Maths and Physics or Chemistry to then study Meteorology and Climate Science at university level when I'm much older which would pave way for me to perhaps then become a Climatologist (for example).

I'm wondering whether I'm speaking crap or not. If I undertake these GCSE's (see how I do), but decide that actually I don't want to pursue Science and Maths, will these GCSE's prove worthless (as I'll already have a degree in Theatre) when searching for employment in the job market?

All things aside I'm not entirely sure what I want to do when I'm older, hence this thread. I'm unsure if these GCSE's can help me become more versatile in the job market if I decide not to undertake them at A Level..

Thank you for reading!
    Difficult one.

As a general rule, GCSEs do not matter all that much once you have a degree. A few very competitive jobs who need to arbitrarily reduce their pool of applicants may filter by GCSE, but in that case they are likely to insist they were all taken in one sitting, and certainly before University.

While I wouldn't claim to be an expert on graduate recruitment, I would guess that, all else being equal, you are probably not going to be particularly competitive for graduate-level jobs other than your planned teaching career. I don't think that doing additional GCSEs would make a huge difference to that. It may, however, get you through basic screening for some sub-graduate level jobs which require 5 GCSEs of a certain grade or above.

I don't think they are a waste of time though - learning is always good and it's certainly never too late. Providing it doesn't distract from your main degree.

Bear in mind that, unless things change, you won't get student support for a second undergraduate degree, so it would be an expensive option, for a career which is not particularly well-paid.

Also, remember that many people who work in climate science have degrees in all sorts of science subjects - physics, maths, engineering and so on, not just meteorology.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.