Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The Last Religion On Earth

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
  • View Poll Results: Which religion do you believe has the best chance of standing the test of time?
    Christianity
    16.23%
    Islam
    34.44%
    Hinduism
    4.64%
    Sikhism
    4.30%
    Judaism
    2.32%
    Buddhism
    21.52%
    Jainism
    0%
    Satanism
    6.62%
    Other
    9.93%

• 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    Imagine that from all the religions today, only 1 religion was going to survive until the very end (hopefully we can all agree that nothing lasts forever).

In your opinion, which religion do you believe is "most likely" that religion which could stand the test of time. Even if you do not believe any religion could, just mention a religion you think would have the "best chance".

Giving your reasons would also be interesting to hear. Remember, this isn't about "which religion you like", it's about which religion, in your honest opinion, has the least chance of disbanding over the course of our whole human history.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    None of them.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    AKA the "What religion are you?" thread.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    AKA the "What religion are you?" thread.
    There are plenty of nonreligious people here who will have an opinion though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Buddhism

Religions are going to loose prominence because of secularism and science leaving no place for religious teaching in either society or reasoned discourse. Logical rejection of religions as based on impossible foundations along with their inability to adapt or be relevant to modern life will see them progressively sidelined.

I think any religious person of any disposition will agree that the greatest long term threat to their religion is disinterest in it because it is left with less and less space it can operate in unopposed.

Buddhism is more philosophy than religion and does not pay tribute to spiritual powers, and it's teachings are still relevant and still hold information for the modern day. It doesn't need special provisions made for it and doesn't try to infringe upon the rest of society and so doesn't draw the same criticism.

Religions will vanish because the are religions. Hence Buddhism will survive because it is the least religious.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps Satanism. It seems more like a collection of little cults to me, they'll spring up and die away all the time, but the actual religion will remain.
    Buddhism as another, because of it's atheistic nature.

Don't really know that much about Hinduism, Jainism or Sikhism, but I think the Abrahamic religions won't survive much longer, they're becoming less and less relevant as we discover more about the world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Every religion is as ridiculous as the other, so this is a nonsensical question really.

What i do know though is that if all the people on the earth were wiped out, 'God' would go down with them.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christianity. In the last 50 years alone Catholicism has increased by about 500 million and is booming in Africa and Asia. In South Korea it's spreading especially among the middle classes.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Islam.

Atheism however will eventually be the last system (religion/belief) on Earth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Judaism is one of the oldest religions, so I can see that lasting. Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism will all last.
    But Christianity is followed by over two billion, and is found in much of the worlds literature, history and art, both old and modern.
    Jesus is my saviour.

People will vote for their religion.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    You forgot football, banking and MTV.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I voted Islam. I don't follow any religion but it is definitely the strongest believed in as far as I can see.

People who call themselves 'Christians' in the Western world are pseudo-religious, only choosing to be so when it suits them.

I honestly see them all dying out and being replaced eventually. Interesting thread, I'm sure many non-religious people like me will vote too.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agenda Suicide)
    I voted Islam. I don't follow any religion but it is definitely the strongest believed in as far as I can see.

People who call themselves 'Christians' in the Western world are pseudo-religious, only choosing to be so when it suits them.

I honestly see them all dying out and being replaced eventually. Interesting thread, I'm sure many non-religious people like me will vote too.
    Most muslims are pseudo-muslims. Traditional islamic doctrine does not allow moderate and liberal views (views which mainstream muslims have).

Traditional Christian doctrine however, does not advocate anything bad to be honest...just live life according to Jesus...don't really see the problem with it.

Lol already 2 muslims disagree with me, but cannot be bothered to post why. Typical TSR muslims :rolleyes:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    probably islam, because out of all of them that's the one that is the most imposing, most controlling, most fanatically believed and hardest to leave, as well as being prevalent in the least educated of countries.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think Islam or Christianity, more people who believe in these appear to disregard other people's words quicker than most and don't listen to the facts. I really don't understand why there isn't some questioning from religious people towards their religion, I guess you won't see that as they will become atheist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    26,000 people per day convert to christianity in the devloping world, 19,000 MORE than who leave. 6 Million African Muslims convert to Christianity each year. Many people in Eastern Asia also convert per year. It's the fastest growing religion in the developing world
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I think Islam or Christianity, more people who believe in these appear to disregard other people's words quicker than most and don't listen to the facts. I really don't understand why there isn't some questioning from religious people towards their religion, I guess you won't see that as they will become atheist.
    Even if you don't believe in Jesus being God, then you can still admire the fact that, even if he was a lunatic, he could have avoided execution many times. Therefore, even if he wasn't God, he still had the intentions of dying for us. If that makes sense?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Christianity will continue to be diluted until it loses all relevance. Islam will either have to follow suit or implode.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    Most muslims are pseudo-muslims. Traditional islamic doctrine does not allow moderate and liberal views (views which mainstream muslims have).

Traditional Christian doctrine however, does not advocate anything bad to be honest...just live life according to Jesus...don't really see the problem with it.
    There is a lot of bible much of it is good but there is also a lot of bad stuff in there too. I wouldn't say that it showed a perfect way to live your life.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.