Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Talking to people who sat it last year, apparently the actual exam is usually easier than most mocks you sit; so don't worry!

TBH the A*s I think are usually won on the 4+ mark challenge questions at the end.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    Does that mean you take PM paper at 10.30 AM
    Or is it an AM paper?
    Tomorrow maths paper 3H is an afternoon exam, so you can't discuss it until next day after 4:30 AM according to student room rules. Timings of my exam are yet the normal ones.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fajita.and.friends)
    I found the jan 2012 ones ok, actually - i think the 2011 ones were harder... What last minute revision is everyone doing?
    Just going through summary notes. You can't do much in the last minutes so just sit back and wait for the exam.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arr, so nervous
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it

(Original post by rapdog)
    What's the likelihood of function graphs being on it?
    Function graphs?! What are they?! :eek:
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriel 41)
    Tomorrow maths paper 3H is an afternoon exam, so you can't discuss it until next day after 4:30 AM according to student room rules. Timings of my exam are yet the normal ones.
    What time is that 4 30 AM . You mean we cant discuss it until 6 hours have passed? OR 1 whole day?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    What time is that 4 30 AM . You mean we cant discuss it until 6 hours have passed? OR 1 whole day?
    Read this.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fajita.and.friends)
    Arr, so nervous
    Just relax, don't be tensed! As I said, edexcel grade boundaries for an A are 66 and below.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    IF a quenstion says "Give this to appropriate degree of accuracy" what should we do?

Actually i still have not revised maths (didnt do so for a very long long time),
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    IF a quenstion says "Give this to appropriate degree of accuracy" what should we do?

Actually i still have not revised maths (didnt do so for a very long long time),
    That just mean you give your above calculated answer to the upper bound of the particular situation in question.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most may papers mirror the Jan/Nov session exam before them, so if Jan paper 3H was hard I guess the May paper 3H will be hard too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i gonna flop dis dont know most of da new stuff dats dere
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    does any one know how to do kinematics or domain and range those are the main things that come up on the exam right
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxRahulXx)
    I reckon that they would have realised that the Jan was too demanding so they might lighten up. Either way you need 82% approx so that was low considering previous grade boudaries
    No but our paper were set well before Jan, and usually our papers are set much in advance, so our paper maybe were set in Nov/Dec "11, and they aren't going to change what they set because of the Jan performance. Overall, Jan performance wasn't terrible as 80% was A*
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kish667)
    does any one know how to do kinematics or domain and range those are the main things that come up on the exam right
    Very rare topics, and they hardly turn up. Have such seen them in a couple of papers. I don't think kinematics is in the 4MA0/3H specification.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how do you find the gradient of the line x + 2y =6
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the January 2012 papers 3H and 4H were incredibly hard. Way harder than previous years.

Does one need to get an A* in both papers for the final award - or do they average the two papers? Can one get 90% in one and 70% in the other and get an A* if 80% is A*?

Thanks
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapdog)
    how do you find the gradient of the line x + 2y =6
    Rearrange it in the form y=mx+c

so you get:

2y=-x+6

Divide the both sides by two to make y the subject:

y=-x/2+3

So your gradient is -1/2 (by the way which exam series question is this , for I want to confirm my answer, and please be quick in replying)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueskies96)
    Yes, the January 2012 papers 3H and 4H were incredibly hard. Way harder than previous years.

Does one need to get an A* in both papers for the final award - or do they average the two papers? Can one get 90% in one and 70% in the other and get an A* if 80% is A*?

Thanks
    just the average
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys feel free to ask any past paper questions, or any other questions if doubts need to be cleared.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.