Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapdog)
    how do you find the gradient of the line x + 2y =6
    x + 2y=6
    2y= 6 - x
    y = (6-x)/2 = 6/2 - x/2
    y = -0.5 x + 3
    y = mx + c
    Gradient = m = -0.5
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriel 41)
    Rearrange it in the form y=mx+c

so you get:

2y=-x+6

Divide the both sides by two to make y the subject:

y=-x/2+3

So your gradient is -x/2 (by the way which exam series question is this , for I want to confirm my answer, and please be quick in replying)

it is nov 2007 4H
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    That just mean you give your above calculated answer to the upper bound of the particular situation in question.
    (62/45) < ROOT OF 2 < (64/45)

Use these bounds to rite the value of root 2 to an app. degree of accuracy. You must show....and explain your answer (2)
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rapdog)
    it is nov 2007 4H
    Sorry I wrote -x/2 instead of -1/2 the correct answer is -1/2

any other problem? Please ask!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    (62/45) < ROOT OF 2 < (64/45)

Use these bounds to rite the value of root 2 to an app. degree of accuracy. You must show....and explain your answer (2)
    May 2006 paper 3H question 17 right? Convert the both the fractions into decimals, and then take the higher valued decimal and write it to 2 significant answers as your final answer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    how do you do this question because im pretty sure its kinematics "a body is moving in a straight line which passes through a fixed point O. the displacement s metres of the body from O at time t is given by s=t(cubed)+4t(squared)-5t. (a) find the expression for the velocity, vm/s at time t seconds. (b) find the acceleration after 2 seconds. i think it pretty hard

this is question is in paper 3H may 2004
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the mark scheme for the 2 jan 2012 papers?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    how is a recurring decimal converted to fraction?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kish667)
    how do you do this question because im pretty sure its kinematics "a body is moving in a straight line which passes through a fixed point O. the displacement s metres of the body from O at time t is given by s=t(cubed)+4t(squared)-5t. (a) find the expression for the velocity, vm/s at time t seconds. (b) find the acceleration after 2 seconds. i think it pretty hard

Yeah, that's kinematics. You need to differentiate it so it becomes; v =3t^2+8t-5. (a) Then for (b) Substitue in the 2.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Okay, that's usually called "calculus" in simple terms.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

It's calculus: displacement differentiated is velocity, so the answer to part a is simply that.
    For part b, velocity differentiated is acceleration. To find the acceleration at 2 seconds, I think you substitute in the 2 for t. The equation should be 6t+8, so 6(2)+8= 20
    Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong :/
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    4MA0_3H_msc_20120307.pdf4MA0_4H_msc_20120307.pdf
    (Original post by fajita.and.friends)
    Anyone have the mark scheme for the 2 jan 2012 papers?
    find them attached
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Basically, you multiply the number by the indices and then subtract one from the indices. For example:

t^3 becomes 3t^2.

5t is the equivalent of 5t^1. So that becomes just 5. (the t^1 becomes t^0 so its gone).

If it is a number with no letter after it such as just 10, then we just ignore it altogether as it becomes 10^0.

Note: 1/x is the equivalent of x^-1 . So to differentiate it would become -x^-2. To find the acceleration, simply differentiate again your answer to the velocity and then substitute in the given acceleration. Finally, remember the positive and negative signs!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If function graphs come up I'm fu!ked
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yeh but i dont understand what it is or how you do it
    Okay, that's usually called "calculus" in simple terms.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    simultaneous equations question: 3x+4y=10 and 5x-6y=53
    i rearranged to 15x+20y=50 and 15x-18y=69 and somehow got two completely incorrect answers...how would you progress from there? :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxRahulXx)
    If function graphs come up I'm fu!ked
    theyre actually easy once you understand them

look through papers like nov 2005 3H or more recent ones, theres some on that

its just like find f(3) on a graph
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got the mark scheme for may 2006 3H ?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    is this the mathematics b specification?

anyway we've got the first paper tomorrow for me its the issue of timing rather than knowledge and application

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.