Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Last year the A* boundary was 82% and the A boundary was 64%. I've just looked through those papers and they were easier (I think) than our ones so I guess the A* boundary will be lower this year then?

Source: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20w...Boundaries.pdf
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umackjiggles)
    both solutions worked out so you will probably lose one mark (can't remember what it was out of). I found paper 4H much easier than 3H although I didn't find either of the papers particularly hard, they just required you to concentrate on the questions more than you usually would. I agree with you with regards to the grade boundary not going below 79, I think it will be around 81-82 on account of the "easier" paper 4H.
    ahh right ok, well it was out of 5, and even with that mark lost looks like im on for about 84/100 on paper 4H and 81/100 on paper 3H - enough for A*? and yeah i mean last question had me fooled on 4H but i just wasnt concentrating enough for both papers sadly. yea i dont think it will go to 82, as that was June 2011 grade boundaries and those sets were amazingly easy, but yes somehere between 79-81
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Last year the A* boundary was 82% and the A boundary was 64%. I've just looked through those papers and they were easier (I think) than our ones so I guess the A* boundary will be lower this year then?

Source: http://www.edexcel.com/iwantto/I%20w...Boundaries.pdf
    yes i agree
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anyone got the paper yet?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    nope im relying on gabriel 41 to get it! lol :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    they are generally OK with Graphs being in pencil, but working out and stuff must be in black pen! and dont worry if youve done it all in pencil, i heard that instead of getting 0% your paper gets sent back and you go over the pencil with a black pen with a dude looking over your shoulder, then you send it back for marking? i heard this is what happens but not sure
    they will just not mark it electronically, but mark it by hand,
    are you mocking this guy or just dumb?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    nope im relying on gabriel 41 to get it! lol :P
    Thank you for putting trust in me; give me a rating and here goes the blank (raw) copy of the paper (check a few posts from now and you'll find the paper). Kaur will solve it in the next few hours and we'll have our estimated grade boundaries as well as the answers
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeHarber)
    they will just not mark it electronically, but mark it by hand,
    are you mocking this guy or just dumb?
    no im trying to be of help to him, i was not aware that they mark it by hand as this is just what i heard - i dont particularly find your comments useful at all, havent you got something better to do than to come on here and just berate people for the fun of it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Realised with about 3 minutes to go that there was a question on the back .I wanted to kill myself. No idea why i didn't realise there was another question
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloke1)
    Realised with about 3 minutes to go that there was a question on the back .I wanted to kill myself. No idea why i didn't realise there was another question
    what was the question??
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys find maths paper 4H of May 2012 edexcel igcse exam attached. Kaur is currently working on the answers and the answers will be uploaded in a few hours. Hope grade boundaries are low for this year as the papers weren't that easy; however, 4H wasn't that tough though. Please guys make me a "respected member" give me a rating. It's really hard work getting this paper guys.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pdf 07a_4MA0_4H_-_May_2012.pdf (227.0 KB, 1029 views)
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaranC)
    what was the question??
    the one with the cylinder where you had to find the radius (5 marks)
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mostem)
    no from sam's house back to his house was 40km and time was like 1.25 or something so 40/1.25 is your answer s=d/t
    (Original post by gabriel 41)
    It was 39 km and 78 min; I don't know how you've got 40 km
    It was 39 km and 75 minutes (as he left at 16:00 and reached home at 17:15).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok I got 190 as well don't worry; let's hope it's not 200
    Dude I swear the histogram question was something close to 20% and you get like 200 something people. The only possible way to calculate the percentage is by counting the squares which is really really stupid.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys find maths paper 4H of May 2012 edexcel igcse exam attached. Kaur is currently working on the answers and the answers will be uploaded in a few hours. Hope grade boundaries are low for this year as the papers weren't that easy; however, 4H wasn't that tough though. Please guys make me a "respected member" give me a rating. It's really hard work getting this paper guys.
    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    the one with the cylinder where you had to find the radius (5 marks)
    For this question I did volume of 2 spheres + volume of empty space = volume of cylinder. Please tell me whether this is right or wrong. :confused:

Because when I solved the equation like that I yet got r=2.5. So my method is right isn't it?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H!story)
    Dude I swear the histogram question was something close to 20% and you get like 200 something people. The only possible way to calculate the percentage is by counting the squares which is really really stupid.
    Yeah, wasn't it 90/500 squares? Which would equal 18%

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tazxx_xx)
    Yeah, wasn't it 90/500 squares? Which would equal 18%

yea that is right it was definitely 18% ( i originally made a silly mistake and got 22% lol, but then checked it and edited :P), there is no way aswell the total people was 190, it was definitely 200!! 0.4 people a square, multiplied by 500 squares gives 200
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKStudies)
    How is last question 2.5 ? I done volume of cylinder - the volune they gave = 2[sphere volume]
    Then rearranged to find r ? And u got 5.36
    because the question says the volume of the cylinder without the spheres is 125/6 pi or something. So in the equation you have to add the volume of the cylinder to the volume of the spheres. So its something like pi r squared h = 125/6 pi + 4/3 pi r cubed * 2.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fas)
    yea that is right it was definitely 18% ( i originally made a silly mistake and got 22% lol, but then checked it and edited :P), there is no way aswell the total people was 190, it was definitely 200!! 0.4 people a square, multiplied by 500 squares gives 200
    I'm pretty sure it was 3.6 large squares / 19 large squares which gave an answer of 18.9%. Is this what you mean when you say you got 18%?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.