The Student Room Group

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Umackjiggles
no problem, happy to help :smile:

For the functions bit i got 10/3x but then ended up bringing 3x up to get 10 =3x then solvving for x BUT i didnt cross out any working, will they ignore what i did afterwards and get full marks?
Original post by Komal96
do you think the grade boundaries will be any lower than 80 for an A*

no
Original post by Code:7248
Me too...I guess we'll still get 2 marks :smile:

Fingers crossed! :crossedf:
Original post by sahajkaur
no

aha they will probably be 80 or 81
Reply 1084
WHAT??? The question said "The volume of the space inside the cylinder, not occupied by the spheres, is 125/6 π cm3". I thought (and still think) that means "Volume unoccupied by the spheres" = "Volume without the spheres" = "Volume when there are no spheres" = "Total volume of the cylinder", WITHOUT the spheres. So I did "125/6 π = 4πr cubed". Yes, I think I made a mistake. They should have made it a little clearer to understand. How many marks do you think I'll get?:frown: None i think.

haha what you thought is correct up until the point you said " volume when there are no spheres = to total of the cylinders", because 125/6 π is simply the volume of the cylinder without the spheres and somehow you jumped to the assumption that its the total. The actual meaning is essentially the opposite of what you thought because the total volume of the cylinder is the volume of the cylinder plus the volume of the spheres and not WITHOUT the spheres. I guess this question is just a matter of being able to interpret it clearly.
Yep just checked - 81/100 is my averaged out mark :frown: would that be good enough for that A* for this set of papers you reckon?
Reply 1086
Original post by Fas
Yep just checked - 81/100 is my averaged out mark :frown: would that be good enough for that A* for this set of papers you reckon?

It might be... Very close though. You might just scrape through

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by desslop
haha what you thought is correct up until the point you said " volume when there are no spheres = to total of the cylinders", because 125/6 π is simply the volume of the cylinder without the spheres and somehow you jumped to the assumption that its the total. The actual meaning is essentially the opposite of what you thought because the total volume of the cylinder is the volume of the cylinder plus the volume of the spheres and not WITHOUT the spheres. I guess this question is just a matter of being able to interpret it clearly.

Well with the spheres, the volume of the cylinder cannot be pi*r^2*h. But without them, surely, it can be pi*r^2*h. But I guess I was wrong...
Original post by Mazzini
Noooo I misread Q9 and worked out the mean snowfall :frown:

OMMGG SAAAME.. I GOT 2.16. do you think we will get any marks? i showed my working...cuz i did the 67/31
yea im hoping so, they were harder than last year which was 82 for A* so i mayyy have got it :smile:
do you reckon all the marks on the last question on 4H will be for working? I'm just concerned as I got the right answer but my writing was next to illegible.
Reply 1091
Original post by Fas

hopefully! and remember if u got something wrong, in the markscheme they might be nice with method marks so maybe :wink:
I know the answer is 2.5 but did anyone else get 1.29 for the last question or know how i got that and how many marks i would get for working out?
Original post by IGCSE
hopefully! and remember if u got something wrong, in the markscheme they might be nice with method marks so maybe :wink:

aha yeah im certainly hoping so, i thought i was gonna get 84 - but then i saw i got the rearranging formula question wrong, hopefully i can pick up a mark for using correct method or something lol :P
Original post by Fas

50/50 haha. You'll have to find out on results day
Reply 1095
Original post by Hmitchell
do you reckon all the marks on the last question on 4H will be for working? I'm just concerned as I got the right answer but my writing was next to illegible.

most of the time the right answer = full marks as long as they can vaguely see that u are on track with the working.....
only problem might be if they suspect u of cheating and just seeing 2.5 and writing it down..... if u had r^3=126/8 or whatever it was.... you should get full marks
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
Will they give marks if we draw a graph as uglier as that? I thought it takes take 10 mins to draw a graph (so untidy I am), but will they give marks?

I had to do this paper in ~30 minutes today so I didn't bother trying to make it look neat (sets question is an example of this). So to answer your question if your graph is uglier than that you will likely not get the mark but if it is of that standard you will be fine. Also bear in mind the scanner shifts everything on the page a bit, my actual real-world graph looks *a bit* better.
Reply 1097
So what are the estimated grade boundaries?
Original post by mynameisgrace
OMMGG SAAAME.. I GOT 2.16. do you think we will get any marks? i showed my working...cuz i did the 67/31

Hopefully... I'd really like an A*, although I'll settle for an A.
Reply 1099
Well with the spheres, the volume of the cylinder cannot be pi*r^2*h. But without them, surely, it can be pi*r^2*h. But I guess I was wrong...

But the thing is the volume of the cylinder without the spheres isn't the actual volume of the cylinder simply because of the spheres. pi*r^2*h stands for the actual volume of the cylinder and hence the volume of cylinder + the volume of sphere = pi*r^2*h. Well at least thats how i interpreted it, maybe i just got lucky with my interpretation.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest