The Student Room Group

Maths exam IGCSE - HIGHER TIER - PAPER 3H AND PAPER 4H POST DISCUSSION.

Scroll to see replies

got an A = major fail
thats pretty good going I know people who did a lot worse
Hey everyone!

I managed to get 97 percent average in the exam which I am happy about, by getting 100 in 3h and 94 in 4h. However, I was really hoping for full marks or a score equal to or higher than 98, and I am slightly disappointed with my paper 4h performance, especially as I honestly cannot recount what I might have got wrong. So, I was wondering if getting a remark would be useful in this situation? I have heard that normally they only change the marks when someone is very close to getting a higher grade.
Also, if I obtain a photocopy of my paper, can I ask for my paper to be remarked after?
Original post by synonymous1964
Hey everyone!

I managed to get 97 percent average in the exam which I am happy about, by getting 100 in 3h and 94 in 4h. However, I was really hoping for full marks or a score equal to or higher than 98, and I am slightly disappointed with my paper 4h performance, especially as I honestly cannot recount what I might have got wrong. So, I was wondering if getting a remark would be useful in this situation? I have heard that normally they only change the marks when someone is very close to getting a higher grade.
Also, if I obtain a photocopy of my paper, can I ask for my paper to be remarked after?

You could get a remark, although in maths exams they rarely go up. It's not like humanities where the examiner's opinion can have an effect. I'd honestly just leave it though - ultimately, all that matters is the grade. It's the AS and A level modules where the UMS matters. Remarking and getting back photocopies is expensive, with no guaranteed change.

Yes, you can get a photocopy back and get a remark though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks! Will follow your advice!
Original post by synonymous1964
Hey everyone!

How did you find out the marks? We were only given the grade. :confused:
Original post by Big-Daddy
How did you find out the marks? We were only given the grade. :confused:

check with your teacher they can find out - i only know my grade , but looking at markschemes , im SURE i was only 1-2 marks off an A* - worth a remark ? cos i heard that if your that close then chances are you can go up ?
If you are 1-2 marks of an A* then I think it is most definitely worth a remark!
And you can ask your teacher for the component marks.
Original post by Fas
check with your teacher they can find out - i only know my grade , but looking at markschemes , im SURE i was only 1-2 marks off an A* - worth a remark ? cos i heard that if your that close then chances are you can go up ?

It's obviously worth a remark. You should hope that how close you are doesn't affect whether or not the examiner lets you go up - remarks are always under the assumption that the first examiner was wrong and his marks need to be rechecked. For maths, this can be done clinically. But you won't get any favours - the marks you lost will stay lost if you failed to get them in the exam.
Original post by Big-Daddy
It's obviously worth a remark. You should hope that how close you are doesn't affect whether or not the examiner lets you go up - remarks are always under the assumption that the first examiner was wrong and his marks need to be rechecked. For maths, this can be done clinically. But you won't get any favours - the marks you lost will stay lost if you failed to get them in the exam.

Yep , from what i know , its done by a senior examiner who hasnt seen your paper beforehand , so hopefully i will gain a working mark here or there :smile:
As a Scot, I did the GCSE (not sure of the exam board) papers right after sitting my official standard grade paper and I have to say, even though all maths at that level is meant to be simple, GCSE was even easier than SG. You do some stuff in more detail like probability and basic proofs, but overall the questions don't ask for as much problem solving. Your AS might end up being harder than our Higher though. Time will tell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending