Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What motivates evangelical / militant atheists?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the (debatable) claim that atheist culture is motivated solely by adherence to the so-scientific world-view (for there is no other defensible world-view), and the second claim that religion is incompatible with this all encompassing world-view, what other motives can be discerned in atheist culture?

In his new book The face of God, Roger Scruton for example argues that:

Contemporary atheism is the desire to escape from the eye of judgement. You escape from the eye of judgement by blotting out the face - most assertively the Face of God.

What then motivates militant atheism?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    The desire to seem intelligent and love for a bloody good argument.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    The desire to seem intelligent and love for a bloody good argument.
    or a kind of cantankerous disappointment with life?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    or a kind of cantankerous disappointment with life?
    Yes - they may even have been beaten as children. Who knows?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The problem with religion is that it teaches people to accept their "God-given" life. This can pose a serious problem, those who are experiencing certain hardship will not strive to make the best of the one life that they have, as they believe that they will be rewarded with an afterlife.

The claim of an afterlife is extremely damaging, I feel. That alone is a good enough reason for atheists to combat religion.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the time it isn't a case of evangelism (if you can even call it that) it's just no longer allowing someone's life being dictated by someone else's belief. So when someone says 'god exists' and another person asks 'prove it' then some people get offended by such comments. As if they've offended them personally. Then that translates to 'you're rejecting god thus offending me' which is stupid. Faith is seen as something that shouldn't be criticised because its holy... should that really ve the case?

In his new book The face of God, Roger Scruton
    for example argues that:

Contemporary atheism is the desire to escape
    from the eye of judgement. You escape from
    the eye of judgement by blotting out the face -
    most assertively the Face of God.
    :lol: this is horrible.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is an evangelical atheist?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Evangelical and militant theists. :rolleyes:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the (debatable) claim that atheist culture is motivated solely by adherence to the so-scientific world-view (for there is no other defensible world-view), and the second claim that religion is incompatible with this all encompassing world-view, what other motives can be discerned in atheist culture?

In his new book The face of God, Roger Scruton for example argues that:

Contemporary atheism is the desire to escape from the eye of judgement. You escape from the eye of judgement by blotting out the face - most assertively the Face of God.

The fact that intolerance towards those who behave or believe differently isn't limited to the religious.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am motivated because I believe I live once, and after (hopefully) 80 or so years, I'm gone, end of story. The only way I'll survive after death is in people's memories - so I'd damn better make a good shot of it, enjoy myself, live and love well. What better motivation is there?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRustaman)
    The problem with religion is that it teaches people to accept their "God-given" life. This can pose a serious problem, those who are experiencing certain hardship will not strive to make the best of the one life that they have, as they believe that they will be rewarded with an afterlife.

The claim of an afterlife is extremely damaging, I feel. That alone is a good enough reason for atheists to combat religion.
    I strive to make the best of my life so I can go to heaven where God wants me everyone to be.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Truth. I believe we should base our society on evidence - other than that, apart from what affects me or causes other people pain, I have no problem with people believing what makes them feel comfortable. I do have a problem with the brainwashing of children, but this isn't Nazi Germany, so I can't and won't try to do anything about it except make sure good quality scientific education is available to as many people as possible.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    I am motivated because I believe I live once, and after (hopefully) 80 or so years, I'm gone, end of story. The only way I'll survive after death is in people's memories - so I'd damn better make a good shot of it, enjoy myself, live and love well. What better motivation is there?
    you've said what your belief is, not what motivates it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atheism? A lot of the time, frustration.
    • 99 followers

ReputationRep:
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    This.
    Amazing post, brought a tear to my eye.

**** religion.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    This.

Pretty much says it all.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    I have no problem with people believing what makes them feel comfortable.
    I thought militant atheism was about stamping out religion/hating religion and those believe in religion?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    You do realize that a bunch of pictures which are an obvious appeal to emotion (and thus fallacious) brought a tear to your eye right?

Quite melodramatic.
    They didn't actually bring a tear to my eye, I was being melodramatic myself :P

But they do pretty much sum up all the arguments.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    They didn't actually bring a tear to my eye, I was being melodramatic myself :P

But they do pretty much sum up all the arguments.
    But they selectively ignore anything positive that religion is capable of. For example, I can make a giant montage about all the positive things my church is accomplishing as we speak. But I guess that wouldn't invoke a similar response now would it.:rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.