Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

What motivates evangelical / militant atheists?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The violent hatred towards brainwashing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Apart from the (debatable) claim that atheist culture is motivated solely by adherence to the so-scientific world-view (for there is no other defensible world-view), and the second claim that religion is incompatible with this all encompassing world-view, what other motives can be discerned in atheist culture?

In his new book The face of God, Roger Scruton for example argues that:

Contemporary atheism is the desire to escape from the eye of judgement. You escape from the eye of judgement by blotting out the face - most assertively the Face of God.

What then motivates militant atheism?
    I'm not exactly a militant atheist, but Roger Scruton is unbelievably wrong. My atheism is the result of seeing a lack of reason to believe in the claims of deism and/or theism.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stalin, Mao, Pol pot, fall into this category?
    They fall into the category of people obsessed with an idea and a ideology - a category a lot of practicing religious believers fall into by definition.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stalin, Mao, Pol pot, fall into this category?
    As extreme political ideologists they have an awful lot in common with the fervently religious, yes. Both are psychological flaws manifested in an aggressive rejection of rational thought and human compassion, and both, if left unchallenged by the apathetic, have the capacity to cause unfathomable human suffering.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    What's the purpose of this question?
    Just making sure we ought to exterminate everyone who's religious!
    • 101 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Just making sure we ought to exterminate everyone who's religious!
    Have fun, mate.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    You made no syntactical error.

Implies that only a fool would refute the notion that religion does not do 'good things', subsequently echoed in a later post of yours:

Just thought I should let you know unless you had changed it later.
    Yeah I worked it out later haha. The other poster said I said that, and so I just accepted it and presumed I typed the wrong thing up. However it seems the other poster got the wrong meaning, not me.

Oh well :L
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well I'm not talking about quiet atheists who just accept that, on the whole, religious life is an inescapable part of human experience, and it just so happens that they have no beliefs (they may have impulses), and who accept that religious people are also human beings.

Im talking about *angry* atheists, Dawkins fanboys, Hitchins, people who obsession with religion is equal to their hatred of it.
    We see religious institutions that view themselves as above the law of the land. Why shouldnt we be angry.

I cant get married because religious zealots think its wrong and i should obey their rules. That makes me angry.

Religions very often try to impose their beliefs on other people. Angry atheists are a response to that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.plow)
    We see religious institutions that view themselves as above the law of the land. Why shouldnt we be angry.

I cant get married because religious zealots think its wrong and i should obey their rules. That makes me angry.

Religions very often try to impose their beliefs on other people. Angry atheists are a response to that.
    Marriage is a religious institution. You're angry, as an atheist, that you can't partake in a religious activity? I'd say you're just confused.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The frustration in seeing people who have been brainwashed by parents at a young age into believing into a religion and then living their life strictly following a book thousands of years old. And then doing all the ridiculous things that can be seen on this site: http://atheistsnever.com/
    I'm open to the idea of a God or higher being, but organised religion with leaders etc NO
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is a secular institution.
    Fixed
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Fixed
    Perhaps you are right. +1
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    This.
    :eyebrow:

Some people are so damn stupid!

<3 x
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe that atheism is the engine to drive society to a brighter day, all the good that religion has done isn't the work of religion but the work of man albeit under the impression that god requires that, why do we have to be good for the promise of heaven or because religion says so? Can't we just be good people, you can't put all atheists under one banner, you can't say that people like Stalin did what they did to champion atheism, If a man kills a homosexual because of the Bible, it is a fault of both the man and the Bible. If an atheist, does the same, it's purely man's fault as we don't fall under a belief system. In fact, we aren't the ones hiding, we can own up to our problems as individuals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marriage is a religious institution. You're angry, as an atheist, that you can't partake in a religious activity? I'd say you're just confused.
    > implying one can't get married in a secular ceremony
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The same thing that would make me point out that someone is wrong it they claim the sun is made of sheep. I believe that a society based around balancing evidence actions based on truth will lead to a better life for people. I don't mind religious people who keep it to themselves but I strongly oppose major religious organisations who actively teach people such fallacies (don't brainwash people, teach them the facts then let them choose for themselves) and try to force non believers to behave in the way they choose. Many laws are based on religious believes when they need not exist- people who believe will regulate themsevles and non believers have no reason to follow them.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    > implying one can't get married in a secular ceremony
    I'm not saying/implying/inferring that. You made the inference from you're reading I am afraid. Marriage is and was a traditionally religious institution. That does not mean it has not become secular since.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How is marriage a religious institution? Its a social institution that outdates the judeo-christian religions. Marriage as its perceived today is just one interpretation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.plow)
    How is marriage a religious institution? Its a social institution that outdates the judeo-christian religions. Marriage as its perceived today is just one interpretation.
    Of course. But I was addressing that particular interpretation. Marriage can quite easily mean many things, you're right.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course. But I was addressing that particular interpretation. Marriage can quite easily mean many things, you're right.
    Ok, so let homosexuals have the interpretation of marriage they want.

Nobody is stopping religious people from adhering to whatever interpretation of marriage they like. Secularists like myself simply request that others have the right to do the same for themselves.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.