Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People with a direction to their lives please enlighten me....

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo,

My life is mainly comprised of studying, clicking around on the internet, going to the gym and video games.

I hate this, and feel like i have no "direction" to my life, so to speak.

I'm doing a course in Psychology but only really because I find it quite interesting and it's a degree that can help you gain access to a wide variety of fields. I certainly don't want a career in Psychology.

The only thing I really enjoy doing, other than messing around with my friends etc. is playing video games. In summer I can spend literally a whole week sleeping, eating and video gaming. But that's not exactly ambitious is it? That's not my "thing". Everyone has a "thing" like a sport or something, some people even have several "things" but I can't seem to find one.

Believe me, I've tried stuff... creative writing, drawing, blogging, playing the ukulele, several different sports, reading, singing... but I'm just crap at all of them and I get bored of things very quickly. I do love animals and the whole lord of the rings franchise but they're not hobbies, they're just things I like.

Can anyone help me please? My life feels so pointless right now!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You could make stuff? Come up with an idea? Go some where random, back packing, cycle around the place...Get yourself into acting maybe.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    maybe start a small business? that might give you some direction.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Go out
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely the first thing to do is to think long and hard about what sort of career you want once you've finished your course. Then your 'thing' can be related to that and ultimately finding employment in a field you love.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marsman13)
    You could make stuff? Come up with an idea? Go some where random, back packing, cycle around the place...Get yourself into acting maybe.
    This is a really good reply, thank you. I do enjoy making cards and stuff, and I used to make little animals out of paper xD I dunno why I forgot about this. I also love acting but I fail pretty much every audition I try out for so I kinda gave up on that!

(Original post by balloon_parade)
    Surely the first thing to do is to think long and hard about what sort of career you want once you've finished your course. Then your 'thing' can be related to that and ultimately finding employment in a field you love.
    Hmm, surely it would be the other way around? Like, you find something you enjoy and then practise it and find a career in it based on your experience?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Drink excessive quantities of alcohol that's what I do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
    Hellooo,

My life is mainly comprised of studying, clicking around on the internet, going to the gym and video games.

I'm doing a course in Psychology but only really because I find it quite interesting and it's a degree that can help you gain access to a wide variety of fields. I certainly don't want a career in Psychology.

The only thing I really enjoy doing, other than messing around with my friends etc. is playing video games. In summer I can spend literally a whole week sleeping, eating and video gaming. But that's not exactly ambitious is it? That's not my "thing". Everyone has a "thing" like a sport or something, some people even have several "things" but I can't seem to find one.

Believe me, I've tried stuff... creative writing, drawing, blogging, playing the ukulele, several different sports, reading, singing... but I'm just crap at all of them and I get bored of things very quickly. I do love animals and the whole lord of the rings franchise but they're not hobbies, they're just things I like.

Everyone is heading in the same direction, ultimately. What you do along the way, at a personal level, doesn't matter all that much. I recommend people try to live their lives as low-impact as possible and then quietly go into the darkness.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try more stuff. There's tons and tons of hobbies you could take up, so why not just make a huge list and try? Go hiking, make a radio program, learn a language, visit somewhere historical, play strategy games, collect stamps, whatever. If you run out of things to try I'd actually be quite amazed.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo,

Get good A Levels.

Go to uni.

Drink excessive quantities of alcohol at uni, have a few boyfriends, laze around a bit, study hard.

Get good degree.

Go into a crappy 9-5 office job (or similar) for 40 odd years of your existence.

Buy house.

Get married.

Have kids.

Retire and go on the odd holiday.

Die.

Spoiler:
    Show
    not suggesting you should do this. merely summing up what most people do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Know your feel OP. I have no direction lol dont have a clue what im doing

what sports you tried out of interest? Why not try something like programming if you're into video games?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that my life has any direction but I was in the same routine as you until a couple of weeks ago (except I never went to the gym because I was too lazy) and to break the cycle I decided to learn french which basically involves watching a load of french you tube videos, films that have been dubbed from english etc. because I can't be bothered doing actual work but I find that it passes the time well and if I actually learn something from it well that's great if not there's no harm done
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo,

(Original post by desijut)
    Know your feel OP. I have no direction lol dont have a clue what im doing

what sports you tried out of interest? Why not try something like programming if you're into video games?
    I too was about to suggest coding and programming

Maybe try C++ with the tutorials available.
    I'd recommend downloading Codeblocks if you do decide to go down this path as a starter
    Or maybe even try making a video game in your free time with this (I'll link a guide to get an idea of what you need, that is, if video gaming you mean Xbox 360). http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Video-...r-the-Xbox-360

As you're a student, the first year of this should be free
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you just aren't that ambitious. That only sounds bad because people have this weird idea that it's very important to have a 'thing' and to aspire to something really big or really well paid or whatever. Maybe you're just a content kind of person who doesn't need to have a 'thing'. Besides, I don't think you can force that kind of thing. If you have a huge life consuming passion, cool, but I honestly don't think most people do, and if you don't feel like you have one, that's a pretty good sign you don't.

I think having a life goal is overrated. Surely all people really want is to be happy (unless you're Nietzsche) and if you can be happy playing video games that's probably a lot better for you than if you could only achieve happiness through building a cathedral, y'know? If you can find a job you don't mind with fun people, or maybe look into doing something in the gaming industry/reviewing games/ making a popular YouTube channel about games... you'll probably be set. A lot of people are quite happy having an alright job with good friends and indulging their hobbies in their free time. Why push yourself to develop some life-consuming desire? Think about most people who were really great at something... a lot of them weren't that happy. A lot of them died choking on their own vomit or cut of their ears and s***. I say more power to you. Keep playing video games, hang out with people you like and try to find a job that makes you happy, even if it's not something that's going to change the world or give you 'direction'.

(Original post by ihateocr)
    Drink excessive quantities of alcohol that's what I do.
    Also this.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    GET FRIENDS WHO ARE THEMSELVES DRIVEN

You can't keep any random hobby going without the social support network, believe me I've tried.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    GET FRIENDS WHO ARE THEMSELVES DRIVEN

You can't keep any random hobby going without the social support network, believe me I've tried.
    I've been a solo photographer for a few years. :dontknow:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

Hmm, surely it would be the other way around? Like, you find something you enjoy and then practise it and find a career in it based on your experience?
    I wouldn't always say this was the case. Careers aren't always related to the success rate of hobbies are they? I would suggest thinking about what jobs you might want to go into and then have a look at getting some experience (voluntary) and see if it's for you, more worthwhile (and CV worthy) than trying out random hobbies to have a 'thing'
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bimbleby)
    Maybe you just aren't that ambitious. That only sounds bad because people have this weird idea that it's very important to have a 'thing' and to aspire to something really big or really well paid or whatever. Maybe you're just a content kind of person who doesn't need to have a 'thing'. Besides, I don't think you can force that kind of thing. If you have a huge life consuming passion, cool, but I honestly don't think most people do, and if you don't feel like you have one, that's a pretty good sign you don't.

I think having a life goal is overrated. Surely all people really want is to be happy (unless you're Nietzsche) and if you can be happy playing video games that's probably a lot better for you than if you could only achieve happiness through building a cathedral, y'know? If you can find a job you don't mind with fun people, or maybe look into doing something in the gaming industry/reviewing games/ making a popular YouTube channel about games... you'll probably be set. A lot of people are quite happy having an alright job with good friends and indulging their hobbies in their free time. Why push yourself to develop some life-consuming desire? Think about most people who were really great at something... a lot of them weren't that happy. A lot of them died choking on their own vomit or cut of their ears and s***. I say more power to you. Keep playing video games, hang out with people you like and try to find a job that makes you happy, even if it's not something that's going to change the world or give you 'direction'.
    Or maybe my ambition..... is to beee ambitious?! :zomg:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I've been a solo photographer for a few years. :dontknow:
    Heh, you don't know what it's like being like me and the OP
    • 137 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm exactly the same lol. I take everyday as it comes but then I realise I need a ******* job

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.