The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 1
Imperial was a big reputation, it'll probably be easier to get employed.

Thats wot ive been told anyway.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
What are the offers for each? Imperial has a really good reputation, but it depend whether you want to live in London or not
Reply 3
mrmarsupial
I didnt go to there open day/interview and they gave me a conditional offer anyway which I wasnt expecting.

Whats it like whats the main reason someone would choice manchester over imperial (pretending the quality of the course was identical)

Thanks

Imperial has a really prestigous rep, and if you were to go there at the end of the day you would probably end up with a better job, just for the sheer fact that employers come to you when you go to Imperial.

I've applied there for next year to study chemistry, and I've got an offer of BBB, (whch is quite low by Imperial standards). Even though it seems to be a really nice uni and I would love to go there as it is in a sense my 1st choice, I have to admitt I'm extremely hesistant about going there. Because:
1. The costs of living in London (espcially South Ken) are Uber Large!
2. There didn't seem to be many people like me, who I would get on with, because at the end of the day I'm a loud mouth Essex Gyal, not your stereo typical G-Imperial student.
But apart from that I really want to go there but at the moment, its a hot contest between Imperial and Durham
Reply 4
mrmarsupial
I didnt go to there open day/interview and they gave me a conditional offer anyway which I wasnt expecting.

Whats it like whats the main reason someone would choice manchester over imperial (pretending the quality of the course was identical)

Thanks

I don't know that much about Manchester, but from my visits to Imperial I personally find it a terrible place; I would hate to study there.

J.
Reply 5
Gnostic
I like to view Imperial as the sister of the LSE.

Well, in a way they are sisters since their 'mother' is the University of London. :smile:

J.
Reply 6
hornblower
Well, in a way they are sisters since their 'mother' is the University of London. :smile:

J.

out of the six (uni of london), who wud be the brothers and who the sisters?
Reply 7
Gnostic
LSE (female - full of splendour and grace)
Imperial (actually probably a male)

King's (male - obviously)
UCL (female, but a fat one)

Queen Mary (female - obviously, probably asian)
SOAS (male drug addict)

I thought royal holloway made up the 6 uni's of london not SOAS
Reply 8
Gnostic
There are, of course, more than 6 colleges of the University of London, but I thought that those 6 were the main ones. I could be wrong.

I am pretty sure lse, icl, kcl, ucl, qmul, rhul are the six uni's under the umbrella of university of london.

btw i know there are more than 6 colleges in london! lol!
Reply 9
watford110
I thought royal holloway made up the 6 uni's of london not SOAS

None of the constituents of the University of London are really universities in their own right (hence the word "college" rather than "university" in their names), but they are pretty independent. Look at http://www.lon.ac.uk/Colleges_Institutes/ -- but if you were to take the six main ones then it would be RH rather than SOAS
Reply 10
Gnostic
Queen Mary (obviously female, probably asian)
SOAS (male drug addict)

Well that pairing was totally random!
Reply 11
travelling through that subway from the tube station and to imperial can be a drag :mad:
mrmarsupial

Thanks

That's exactly what I did, chose Manchester over IC.

I didn't really mind about where I did it, as a maths degree is a maths degree anywhere, I just wanted a good life at university. IC's boy-girl ratio and area put me off. Kensington doesn't appeal to me. Manchester is however away from London (meaning I can move out and away from the folks) and it seems a really fun city.
ive been having to choose between imperial and durham, and im probably gonna end up having durham as my firm, and imperial as insurance. its way too costly there and also travelling on the tube everyday (after your 1st year, when you start living in flats) doesnt really appeal to me
Reply 14
kenkennykenken
ive been having to choose between imperial and durham, and im probably gonna end up having durham as my firm, and imperial as insurance. its way too costly there and also travelling on the tube everyday (after your 1st year, when you start living in flats) doesnt really appeal to me

Same dilema as me...I don't whether to put IC or Durham as my firm..however I leaning more to IC, for a variety of reasons but then its between the one that I don't chose as my firm and Warwick for my insurance...Decisions, decisions...
Kuz
Same dilema as me...I don't whether to put IC or Durham as my firm..however I leaning more to IC, for a variety of reasons but then its between the one that I don't chose as my firm and Warwick for my insurance...Decisions, decisions...

Go to both their open days and take a look, coz its quite different to what you see in prospectuses etc
Reply 16
kenkennykenken
Go to both their open days and take a look, coz its quite different to what you see in prospectuses etc

Well i took a look at IC when I went for the interview earlier this month and thought it was a nice place to study, even if the SU is a bit crap (but hey! that doesn't matter because you can use all the other Uni of London SU's), and I'm going to Warwick on wed for a Post-offer open day and later in march I'm going to the Durham open day but I can't decide if I want to sleep over or not....again.....decisions, decisions

Latest