The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Question on OU funding

Hi All,

I am looking to enroll at the OU this year. I am intending to study:

- Using Mathematics (MST121) Level 1 - 30 Credits

- Investigative & Mathematical Skills for Science (S141) Level 1 - 30 Credits.

I was wondering what finance is available for a student from a household with an income of <25,000.

I was hoping to sit the above courses and then go onto a brick and mortar university. However, Since contacting the OU, They informed me that student finance isn't available for "standalone" course and will only be offered as part of a full degree program.

Is is possible to get the student finance to pay the £2500 for the above two courses and then drop out of the OU to join a brick and mortar uni?

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Where about in the UK are you from?
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Because the fee and funding structure for next year is completely different to what the OU have had previously, it's tricky for anyone to say with any certainty how it works, because no-one's experienced it yet in relation to the OU. As a general rule, students at brick unis can get funding for a year's 'false start', so if they find they've made a horrible mistake, all is not lost. At a guess, something similar would probably apply if you were to do what you plan - but the only way to know for sure would be to ring up student finance and run your plan past them, in which case I'd perhaps phrase the conversation more in terms of "if I were to start with the OU and then feel that it's not for me and I'd be better off at a brick uni, would I be able to do this..."
Reply 3
Original post by Persipan
Because the fee and funding structure for next year is completely different to what the OU have had previously, it's tricky for anyone to say with any certainty how it works, because no-one's experienced it yet in relation to the OU. As a general rule, students at brick unis can get funding for a year's 'false start', so if they find they've made a horrible mistake, all is not lost. At a guess, something similar would probably apply if you were to do what you plan - but the only way to know for sure would be to ring up student finance and run your plan past them, in which case I'd perhaps phrase the conversation more in terms of "if I were to start with the OU and then feel that it's not for me and I'd be better off at a brick uni, would I be able to do this..."

Cheers for the reply Persipan :smile:

I am going to give SFE and the OU a ring tomorrow.

Does anyone know whether it is possible to study a Cert HE (open) full time? As in, all 120 credits in one year?

Also, If the above is possible, Would I be eligible for full time or part time financial support?

As usual, many thanks TSR :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by daihats

Does anyone know whether it is possible to study a Cert HE (open) full time? As in, all 120 credits in one year?

I could be wrong, but I thought that in the Brave New World, the OU were going to treat a CertHE like other unis do (i.e. as a stepping-off point for someone who doesn't complete a whole degree, rather than as a target qualification in itself).
Reply 5
Have you checked the potential start dates for these courses? I have managed to get in as a transitional student as my course starts before 1st Sept 2012. If you start either of the courses you would like to sit (or even a relevant openings course that interests you) before September you would qualify for the lower price threshold and each 30 credit course would cost £400 instead of £1250 (the openings course would be £195) which I imagine would be of significant help as it would be less than half of your current proposed expenditure.

Good luck with your studies!
Reply 6
I too have just registered to start an openings course so I can get on the transitional fees structure. But there are very few of these courses left now and the do have to be able to count towards your degree.
However when I was phoning around the OU trying to find out about student funding etc they mentioned an access to success course where (if I remember and understood correctly) you paid £75 and got an openings course (£25) and one module (£50) . You then would pay full price for any further courses and could take out a student loan to cover the rest of the course(s). I thought this might be something to look into if you've missed the transitional fees boat.
Reply 7
Financial assistance is awarded to new students to a miximum of 60 credits in their first year, which then goes up to 120 the following year
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest