The Student Room Group

Any point doing mechanics 2/3/4 before starting uni?

So I was just looking through the extra maths mechanics modules you can do (I did Mech 1 and Stats 1 for my actual A-level) and they all seem pretty geared towards mechanical engineering students, so I'm wondering if its worth making my first year a bit easier by reading through the books over the summer.

Anyone done this? did it help at all or is it just a bit overkill and a waste of 3 months holiday?
You want to do extra mechanics modules in your last holidays before university? wtf?

First year is supposed to get everyone up to the same standard, doing extra modules (which you may or may not cover in the first year) just seems like a waste of time, tbh :p:
Original post by Hoochy91
So I was just looking through the extra maths mechanics modules you can do (I did Mech 1 and Stats 1 for my actual A-level) and they all seem pretty geared towards mechanical engineering students, so I'm wondering if its worth making my first year a bit easier by reading through the books over the summer.

Anyone done this? did it help at all or is it just a bit overkill and a waste of 3 months holiday?

only for entertainment
Reply 3
Original post by + polarity -
You want to do extra mechanics modules in your last holidays before university? wtf?

First year is supposed to get everyone up to the same standard, doing extra modules (which you may or may not cover in the first year) just seems like a waste of time, tbh :p:

Original post by kaosu_souzousha
only for entertainment

I swear the more mechanics modules you do, the more you are prepared?
Original post by sabre2th1

I suppose if you really want to prepare for some modules in the course, then learning extra mechanics beforehand is useful. However, by the end of the first year, everyone is in the same dish. I would rather learn something extra, like programming, and have more tools than everyone.

A lot of people, with IB background or some other international qualification, do no mechanics at all. Universities know that and teach you everything from scratch.

Prepared for what?
Reply 6
Original post by kaosu_souzousha
I suppose if you really want to prepare for some modules in the course, then learning extra mechanics beforehand is useful. However, by the end of the first year, everyone is in the same dish. I would rather learn something extra, like programming, and have more tools than everyone.

A lot of people, with IB background or some other international qualification, do no mechanics at all. Universities know that and teach you everything from scratch.

Programming? Is that something you cover in mechanical engineering?

Prepared for what?

For the first year of university (if you want to do engineering that is)
Programming? Is that something you cover in mechanical engineering?

For the first year of university (if you want to do engineering that is)

Yes.

As several of us have already stated, the first year is meant to get everyone up to speed. Spending your holidays learning something you're going to be learning anyway (though I can think of things in M3/4/5 that weren't even touched) is just a complete waste of time! :p:

And given that things are taught a little differently in university, you will probably come to feel that you would have wasted your time too.
Reply 8
Yes.

As several of us have already stated, the first year is meant to get everyone up to speed. Spending your holidays learning something you're going to be learning anyway (though I can think of things in M3/4/5 that weren't even touched) is just a complete waste of time! :p:

And given that things are taught a little differently in university, you will probably come to feel that you would have wasted your time too.

Oh! What exactly is programming useful for in mechanical engineering? I thought it would be more computer science related etc
Oh! What exactly is programming useful for in mechanical engineering? I thought it would be more computer science related etc

Does MATLAB count as programming? Well if it does, that's very useful, you'll be using it for all sorts of simulations and projects.

I've used C/C++ quite a lot in the last few months, for my third year project.

I can't think of where else you'd use programming - I'm really ****ing hungry - but I'm sure kaosu could add to what I've said :redface:

Stuff like Computational Fluid Dynamics ( flow simulations etc...), programming microprocessors for some mechatronics project, robotics .... you can even become a software engineer if you really want. It all depends on which modules you pick and your interests.l
Reply 11
The only preparation I would recommend is making sure that you're comfortable with calculus. As others have said, you will be taught many of the mechanics concepts in your first year.

Quick Reply

Latest