Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In today's society, why is it so easy for the media to manipulate women?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never really been influenced. I think it's just very influentual to those who don't really know what they like/want for themselves, it gives them a focus (not a criticism, just an observation). Also, what people always say about size zero models, I don't really see much of that in the media, and I don't know any people who wish to be a size zero model, as far as a know. I'm slightly underweight (not because I have the desire to be skinny, that's just the way it is), and if I get any criticism from my peers it's that I'm too thin.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    women logic
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    i find that with men they dont get manipulated by all the stuff the media says. sure the media likes to whip up stories about how all guys love Megan Fox or Cheryl Cole. but i find that men generally look and say 'yeah i would bang her' and leave it at that. they would rather get on with their own lives and they think rationally- they will never have a hope in hells chance with these female celebrities so they dont bother getting drawn into the media frenzy and wasting their time.

so who agrees? that in today's society, it is so easy for the media to manipulate women.
    This is what seperates men from women.

A man can go to a rock concert and enjoy the music but the likelihood of him seeing the stars in the flesh and up-close is almost zero without a special stage pass.

A womans stage pass is her body and her looks.

A woman can have sex with these male celebrities, not so for the men and female celebrities unless he is loaded, I mean seriously loaded.

Power of the fanny, its only downfall is a mans money, fame and other women.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skinnier women tend to attract more males, that's cultural
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I wear makeup, fake tan and fake eyelashes, I didn't realise that this means I'm miserable about myself and am incapable of having my own opinion.

Not wearing makeup or not watching TV doesn't make you better than anyone else.
    I just think it looks like ****. That's all.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Women think and act on their emotions/feelings, and men more on logic, that's why.

And right now you're asking women a logic type question, so they'll give a different answer to what they would actually do in the situation where emotions take over their decisions. A perfect example is where women say they want a "nice guy".

That's the perfect truth by the way, and the exact reason why it's common for guys to say they don't understand girls/why they do certain things etc, and vice versa - and the reason why H&R is full of the threads we get.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmmaJane_)
    I'm not like that at all. Also, being a size zero isn't considered a good thing, I'm a size two (size 6 UK) and I get told "real women have curves" far too many times to remember. Everyone wants to be what they're not.
    I know what you mean! I'm a US 4/UK 8... So am I not a real woman?!
    *sigh* If women understood that they are fine the way they are then maybe they wouldn't be so influenced.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    I wear makeup, fake tan and fake eyelashes, I didn't realise that this means I'm miserable about myself and am incapable of having my own opinion.

Not wearing makeup or not watching TV doesn't make you better than anyone else.
    I'd +rep if I had any left. I hate that it turns into competition between those women who do read magazines/dress a certain way etc. and those who don't. It's often the sort of girls who'll complain that the cool kids don't like the way they dress when they're trying to express their individuality and such who will viciously attack girls who have what they consider to be a more 'mainstream' look. What, so you can only express individuality or intelligence or independence through certain sorts of clothes? Why can't someone 'be themselves' through reading magazines and wearing false eyelashes?

Quite right. Not wearing makeup doesn't make someone better. This isn't said often enough.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EyesSetToKill)
    I know what you mean! I'm a US 4/UK 8... So am I not a real woman?!
    *sigh* If women understood that they are fine the way they are then maybe they wouldn't be so influenced.
    I do agree, but I don't think you can claim that this is the equivalent of what fat people go through. I'm a uk 6 and I hate all that 'real woman' crap, but everyone on TV, in magazines, in films ec. has a body like mine, with only a very small number of exceptions. So I'm not constantly aware of my thinness because I think it's normal. No one gives me abuse in the street, and even if they did I doubt it would be as bad as that leveled at fat people. There's so much stigma attached to fat: it means you're lazy, dirty, slovenly, weak-willed, indulgent.... (I'm not saying any of that's true). Apart from a few people maybe saying 'oh my God you look anorexic' (which I've never had happen and isn't really that bad because we all know being thin is considered better than being fat) there's not much you can say to a thin person. Even if people do say stuff you can brush it off as jealousy. You can't really brush off someone calling you a fat pig as jealousy, and you can't go home and take comfort from the fact taht everyone the media considers attractive has the same shape as you if you're fat.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the size 0 is a bit overemphasized as a 'problem'. First of all because the majority of UK and US women today need to lose weight, not gain. Secondly because the majority of women do not actually want to be size 0. Most women know what men like and are more interested in a size UK8/10 than a 0. Still slim, but practically anyone asked would rather look like Irina Shayk or even Kim Kardashian than Anja Rubik.
    Female bodies have always been more admired than male bodies. There is a simple reason for that - men are much more visually turned on than women. Whereas men can sit and look at pictures of anonymous women, women rarely do the same. Some women made a complain that both men's and women's magazines have half naked women on the cover. They demanded equality and added "why cannot we have hot men on the covers ". A brave attempt to make women seem similar to men, but alas, it is not the case. Magazines for women with men on the cover don't sell. Cosmo and others have tried. The majority of women have little to no interest in 'oogling' an anonymous topless hunk. The important sexual attributes of a man - confidence, success, charisma, social skills - can not be communicated through a photo. Women are less likely to get aroused or even buy something from seeing a photo of an anonymous man. Of course a rare woman will, but again, on the whole that is not the case.
    As men are often the pursuers or 'hunters' in nature and women are the passive ones (for obvious reasons), attractive female bodies have become something for men to admire and track down, and something for women to achieve. Men's foremost goal is to 'hunt down' the right woman, whereas a woman's "game" is to make herself as attractive as possible. In terms of dating, that will be a woman's goal. Men can see the logic of this by imagining a woman spending the same amount of time making herself as attractive as possible as they spend on planning their strategy and trying to chat up/get women. That way it's clear that the genders are more or less the same in their time distribution.
    I'm (obviously) not saying personality doesn't matter, it does, but women's beauty are more emphasized in the media and appealed to than men's, for natural reasons. Men are still hyped into certain ideas by tv series of what their lives should be like. They might be less visible in the media since they don't result in health problems, but they're still there. Ideas that successful and attractive men should drive certain cars, have certain gadgets, have casual sex with multiple partners etc. The latter is of course a biological drive, but it has developed to the extent that men whom are interested in a monogamous girlfriend run the risk of being nicked a 'pussy', or ironically enough, 'gay'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    Women think and act on their emotions/feelings, and men more on logic, that's why.
    What and men don't do that?

Penis envy? Height envy? Build envy? Hell even feeling 'less unconfident' than other males and etc etc. Stop being a bitter looooser.

If everyone always judged you on the size of your penis, I'm sure you'd be the same - reading up on magazines on how to increase your penis size. Get over yourself you big baby.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Women have always been more suggestible and more easily manipulated and sold to than men. As above, men are certainly squeezed as well and respond similarly, but indeed not to the same extent.
    No. It's that the media has been so much intense on women! You never see media articles criticising male celebs clothes or size. Women in the media are fired for getting old while men are not. And that's only a tiny part of it. My head's hurting and I'm going out in a sec but come on, you have to see my point. Men don't have the same pressure, you know that. It's not that they don't give a ****, are more resilient and 'know themselves'. Men don't care because they haven't had it shoved down their throats from birth that they should care.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    No. It's that the media has been so much intense on women! You never see media articles criticising male celebs clothes or size. Women in the media are fired for getting old while men are not. And that's only a tiny part of it. My head's hurting and I'm going out in a sec but come on, you have to see my point.
    Yea I think women are targeted more harshly about superficial things, for sure. Because that's basically how women are valued, and how they value themselves - mostly based on their looks. There must be a complex interplay between media pressures and natural pressure-points, if you see what I mean. One encourages the other.

Men are criticised less about their appearance, if at all, but much more about their character, possessions and deeds.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    Yea I think women are targeted more harshly about superficial things, for sure. Because that's basically how women are valued, and how they value themselves - mostly based on their looks. There must be a complex interplay between media pressures and natural pressure-points, if you see what I mean. One encourages the other.

Men are criticised less about their appearance, if at all, but much more about their character, possessions and deeds.
    Agreed. Relating to the last part of what you said, I'm in no way saying women have it 'tougher'. There's just different pressures for both of us. :emo:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    if they are trying to manipulate women theyre doing a piss poor job of it ... the amount of women woh closely resemble a beached baby whale walking down the high street is staggering...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dongonaeatu)
    women logic
    -accusing all women of having the same, poor logic
    -probably the first one to get angry when women say 'men are all the same'

Hypocrite.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avupa(^.~))

Penis envy? Height envy? Build envy? Hell even feeling 'less unconfident' than other males and etc etc. Stop being a bitter looooser.

If everyone always judged you on the size of your penis, I'm sure you'd be the same - reading up on magazines on how to increase your penis size. Get over yourself you big baby.
    If everyone was judged by their penis size, I wouldn't be reading magazines or stuff on how to increase it. I wouldn't really care lol. Im not controlled by society, you certainly seem to be.

And you seem to make it sound like I'm crying over something? Cause I'm not, I'm stating a fact and answering the question - its because of hormones, go read anything on psychology and you'll see what I mean.

Don't do what? Think more with their emotions than logic? No, they don't. Obviously emotions come into it a bit, but logic comes into play much more. And it's the other way around for women. You'd be retarded to think women don't get more emotional than men do. You don't even need to study psychology to know that.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Movember)
    not all women but the majority of women i have found are very easily manipulated by the media. the clearest example is the manipulation by the media for skinnier and skinnier women. the media have 'fed' women with images of size zero women and most have them have been brainwashed to believe this is what they should aim for (or maybe a size or 2 up from that). then they go on fad/crash diets which ruin their health and their bodies, again fed to them by the media. usually its the latest celebrity who has apparently had success with it when all they've done is had surgery and had their body photoshopped, but so many gullible women believe this.

another example is with male celebrities. if you show some images of young girls mobbing a few actors from Twilight or a few singers, so many more women start to join the bandwagon and it results in them spending so much of their youth dedicating their lives to some celebrity who couldnt care less about them. even older women do this.

i find that with men they dont get manipulated by all the stuff the media says. sure the media likes to whip up stories about how all guys love Megan Fox or Cheryl Cole. but i find that men generally look and say 'yeah i would bang her' and leave it at that. they would rather get on with their own lives and they think rationally- they will never have a hope in hells chance with these female celebrities so they dont bother getting drawn into the media frenzy and wasting their time.

so who agrees? that in today's society, it is so easy for the media to manipulate women.
    Both sexes are manipulated in some way. Just that women have different things as manipulators than men
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cigarette)
    -accusing all women of having the same, poor logic
    -probably the first one to get angry when women say 'men are all the same'

Hypocrite.
    well women are all the same, men aren't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waterstorm)
    I hope you don't think you're some expert in human behaviour because you read a couple of articles on the net, probably about some psuedoscience research about how science and statistical techniques have proven that humans like to eat yummy food because it tastes good.

Of course, they are generally more emotional then men.

But I just disliked how you're depicting men, or more probably, you, as being some great being above animals - one with the gift of reason and blah blah blah.

Just go outside and maybe into a poorer area than the upper-middle class area you live in far away from any real harm and any real trouble, or just a ****hole in some other entirely different country, and watch 15 year old brats use their mothers money to buy 'weapons' and drugs and fight/kill members of 'rival gangs' because they looked at them in the eye or just didn't show them rspec'.

Thug lite. Just an example of course.

edit. Sorry. Did I turn it on a little too much, too quickly? Much too good, for my own good tbh. And the moderators seem to have not verified my first post, or maybe they're letting their biases take over, so adieu~.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.