The Student Room Group

What happens if you're caught plagiarizing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Miracle Day
If it's worded or structured the same, moderators scan every piece of coursework to make sure each piece of work is written uniquely.

Moderators don't see every piece of coursework. They ask for a sample (about 6 from 30 students), and they mark those to see if the centre is marking correctly. Obviously these marks are changed if the moderator thinks they should be, which then can give a change to the rest of the students' coursework if the board thinks the centre has marked too leniently or too harshly. If the marks from the sample remain unchanged (which they normally do) the students whose coursework hasn't been seen have their marks from the centre accepted, and the moderated never sees them.

The coursework has to be sent off for every student so the exam board knows they have done it, but they don't see most students' work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Flyteryder
Moderators don't see every piece of coursework. They ask for a sample (about 6 from 30 students), and they mark those to see if the centre is marking correctly. Obviously these marks are changed if the moderator thinks they should be, which then can give a change to the rest of the students' coursework if the board thinks the centre has marked too leniently or too harshly. If the marks from the sample remain unchanged (which they normally do) the students whose coursework hasn't been seen have their marks from the centre accepted, and the moderated never sees them.

The coursework has to be sent off for every student so the exam board knows they have done it, but they don't see most students' work.

At GCSE yes. But my teacher told me yesterday that the majority in Sixth form get sent off because there aren't as many pupils doing A Level English as their are GCSE.

So yeah, chances are OP's coursework will be seen.
At GCSE yes. But my teacher told me yesterday that the majority in Sixth form get sent off because there aren't as many pupils doing A Level English as their are GCSE.

So yeah, chances are OP's coursework will be seen.

My A-level English coursework, along with 7 others, out of 45 students got moderated this January. Yes, there's a chance it will be seen, but the chances are higher that neither or only one of these people's coursework will be seen.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
Chances are you will get caught. Last year a student in my class stole a copy of my coursework from the teachers computer and submitted it as his own. The moderator realised as mine and his coursework were far too similar. School headmaster got us both to give a statement. Nothing happened to me but the guy got disqualified from all Edexcel exams.
Original post by Flyteryder
My A-level English coursework, along with 7 others, out of 45 students got moderated this January. Yes, there's a chance it will be seen, but the chances are higher that neither or only one of these people's coursework will be seen.

Strange because all of our class out of like 20 ish has gone to be moderated. But even if only 7 of yours will get moderated, all 45 will be scanned to make sure the work isn't plagiarised.
Reply 25
If it's worded or structured the same, moderators scan every piece of coursework to make sure each piece of work is written uniquely.

Not all pieces of coursework get sent for moderation. Usually it's a few of the best, a few ranging within the middle boundary, and few from the lower-end boundary.
(edited 11 years ago)
In this hypothetical situation, should FriendB (guilty one) either:

Drop the course pronto and work harder in the other subjects
Or own up and get kicked out anyway?
Original post by isp
Not all pieces of coursework get sent for moderation. Usually it's two of the best, two ranging within 60-70%, and two from the lower-end boundary.

But all coursework gets scanned.
Reply 28
so many haters. OP knows he's in the wrong and admitted it and once to put it right. so stop hating.
Original post by willbee
so many haters. OP knows he's in the wrong and admitted it and once to put it right. so stop hating.

Lol Don't worry, it shows that there are more morally correct people (or they have enough common sense to not get themselves into this hypothetical situation) :smile:
Reply 30
But all coursework gets scanned.

No it doesn't, but more of it is moderated than the previous poster said. For instance, AQA always asks for at least 20 candidates' work (or all of them if there are fewer than 20).
Original post by Data
No it doesn't, but more of it is moderated than the previous poster said. For instance, AQA always asks for at least 20 candidates' work (or all of them if there are fewer than 20).

Yes. All coursework is scanned to make sure none of it is plagiarized.
Reply 32
Original post by thnkhppythghts
Ok, lemme throw a hypothetical scenario out there...

Say that friendA helped out friendB on their coursework by sending them a copy of their own. On similar points that they made, friendB tried to re-word it the best they could so that it was different, but it was very late, they were half asleep and may have accidentally left some stuff exactly the same! Similarly structured paragraphs too!

What happens if the teachers realise? Or if they don't, but then the moderators do? They scan the coursework don't they? Will they kick friendB off the course? They can't do much to friendA because it was their original work, but it's an automatic fail for friendB isn't it?

Please reply as the hypothetical friendB might be getting seriously worried about this, even though it was their own stupid fault T_T Thanks.

This has happened in our course at Uni, where the lecturer told us that one student in the course had clearly plagiarised another students work, as large chunks of the work, spelling mistakes included, were found in their assignment. The lecturer told our whole class of over 200 that where students plagiarise they may be brought before a disciplinary and plagiarism board, where their future on the course and in the uni will be considered. The course in question was Law and we have also been told that where law students plagiarise, they will never be able to train as lawyers.

Don't do it whatever your circumstances or your course. It's better getting a low score than getting no score.
Has the actual deadline happened? like, has it been sent off? If not, you're best bet is to maybe own up to your teacher, and ask if you could do it again. I know they're not supposed to let you do it after the deadline or whatever but some teachers can be quite nice, I did pretty much all of my photography exam and sketchbook a few days after the exam had happened, and it was fine. But then I had probably the nicest, most understanding teacher in existence for that subject.
Original post by Cmca1
This has happened in our course at Uni, where the lecturer told us that one student in the course had clearly plagiarised another students work, as large chunks of the work, spelling mistakes included, were found in their assignment. The lecturer told our whole class of over 200 that where students plagiarise they may be brought before a disciplinary and plagiarism board, where their future on the course and in the uni will be considered. The course in question was Law and we have also been told that where law students plagiarise, they will never be able to train as lawyers.

Don't do it whatever your circumstances or your course. It's better getting a low score than getting no score.

In this scenario, it's A-levels, so not as serious as in uni (FriendB won't be THAT stupid. Big difference between failing one subject and getting kicked out of uni).
Original post by salty_candy
Has the actual deadline happened? like, has it been sent off? If not, you're best bet is to maybe own up to your teacher, and ask if you could do it again. I know they're not supposed to let you do it after the deadline or whatever but some teachers can be quite nice, I did pretty much all of my photography exam and sketchbook a few days after the exam had happened, and it was fine. But then I had probably the nicest, most understanding teacher in existence for that subject.

Nope, deadline didn't pass, but the coursework got sent off. It was a happy ending to this scenario though. FriendB confessed to one of the more understanding teachers, who withdrew them from the coursework and exam. So as long as FriendB gets good grades in their other subjects, they should still be able to get into uni :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Cmca1

In this scenario, it's A-levels, so not as serious as in uni (FriendB won't be THAT stupid. Big difference between failing one subject and getting kicked out of uni).

Re-read my post. I've quoted it above and highlighted in bold the most important point, which is relevant irrespective of your course, study level or degree - Don't do it.

Furthermore, good luck getting into Uni with fails in A-levels because of plagiarism. If you get caught plagiarising in tests/coursework from the same exam board, you may also be banned from entering their exams at all...imagine doing 3 A-levels on one board and being expelled from them all because of a bit of lazy plagiarism.
Nope, deadline didn't pass, but the coursework got sent off. It was a happy ending to this scenario though. FriendB confessed to one of the more understanding teachers, who withdrew them from the coursework and exam. So as long as FriendB gets good grades in their other subjects, they should still be able to get into uni :smile:

So... are you FriendA or FriendB? Not judging you, I'm just curious :smile:

I'm glad that whoever FriendB is will still have a chance of getting into Uni, and hopefully in the future they won't make the same mistake (or will at least not leave anything exactly the same :wink: )
Reply 38
Strange because all of our class out of like 20 ish has gone to be moderated. But even if only 7 of yours will get moderated, all 45 will be scanned to make sure the work isn't plagiarised.

It depends on the exam board, AQA takes them all, or at least 20 if there are more than 20, Edexcel and OCR sample fewer.

Quick Reply

Latest