Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

The role of Water in...

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the role of water in:

a) 2-chloro-2-methylpropane reacted with ethanol/water to give 2-methyl porpan-2-ol

b) 2-chloro-2-methylpropane reacted with ethanol/water to give 2 methyl propene

If you can hint me towards it it would be great
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure those reactions are correct?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Are you sure those reactions are correct?
    ...They are now... The first reaction was wrong it created an alcohol... It's from the June 2009 U2 paper...Q. 20 Section B
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Chlorine is a good leaving group, thus it just depends whether another group substitutes for it, or whether it's oxidised. Is the difference heat?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Booyah)
    What is the role of water in:

a) 2-chloro-2-methylpropane reacted with ethanol/water to give 2-methyl porpan-2-ol

b) 2-chloro-2-methylpropane reacted with ethanol/water to give 2 methyl propene

If you can hint me towards it it would be great
    Well the answers are a) nucleophile and b) base.

I'm a bit dubious that the second reaction would actually work to any decent yield though... Are you sure it's not hydroxide instead of water?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm a bit dubious that the second reaction would actually work to any decent yield though... Are you sure it's not hydroxide instead of water?
    I think it's the type of question that goes for the ''elimination and substitution of haloalkanes compete with one another, Jonny found two products from the reaction of halokane A with conditions B...'' type route.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Yeh it is a mixture of alcohol/Water heated at 65C .... I am not to sure what you mean by nucleophile and base... I understand that nucleophile is a highly electronegative species being attracted to a positive species but how does the 2- chloro 2-methylpropane become positively charged and what on Earth do you mean by Base?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh it is a mixture of alcohol/Water heated at 65C .... I am not to sure what you mean by nucleophile and base... I understand that nucleophile is a highly electronegative species being attracted to a positive species but how does the 2- chloro 2-methylpropane become positively charged and what on Earth do you mean by Base?
    Positively charged because with an electronegative atom attached to a carbon, it steals more of the electrons, give the carbon a delta positive charge.

Bases look to steal hydrogens
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Positively charged because with an electronegative atom attached to a carbon, it steals more of the electrons, give the carbon a delta positive charge.

Bases look to steal hydrogens

So because it is more electronegative does it get booted off via the OH group via rear end attack of something along those lines?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    So because it is more electronegative does it get booted off via the OH group via rear end attack of something along those lines?
    Chlorine is a good leaving group, the carbon is delta positive, meaning it can be targeted by nucleophiles, the water molecule attacks the carbon, simultaneously kicking off the chlorine. Water then loses a H, which bonds with the Cl to form HCl. It is strange to see this reaction without a strong base such as NaOH.

Might want to get another opinion on this but I think that's it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Chlorine is a good leaving group, the carbon is delta positive, meaning it can be targeted by nucleophiles, the water molecule attacks the carbon, simultaneously kicking off the chlorine. Water then loses a H, which bonds with the Cl to form HCl. It is strange to see this reaction without a strong base such as NaOH.

Might want to get another opinion on this but I think that's it.
    Because this is a tertiary haloalkane, the chlorine leaves forming Cl- and a tertiary carbocation which is then attacked by water, with loss of a proton forming the product. Tertiary haloalkanes are too bulky for the water to attack behind the chlorine.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because this is a tertiary haloalkane, the chlorine leaves forming Cl- and a tertiary carbocation which is then attacked by water, with loss of a proton forming the product. Tertiary haloalkanes are too bulky for the water to attack behind the chlorine.
    That's right, my mistake, it's Sn1 not Sn2
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's right, my mistake, it's Sn1 not Sn2
    Just for interests sake, that's one of the reasons why the reaction works fine with water in this case. Usually you'd use hydroxide ions as they're much better nucleophiles/bases, but as the rate determining step is loss of chloride and the carbocation is significantly more reactive than the starting alkyl halide so the quality of the nucleophile/base doesn't really matter.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.