The Student Room Group

Third Year Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nuodai
Wow! But enough to lose alphas? If you throw enough questions at a wall some of them will get alphas :p: I mean, I don't think I've done a question yet where I've not made a small error here or there but I'm confident of at least 5 alphas so far (note to self: get at least 8 more).

Indeed.

Did people moan about Part II exams last year as much as we are this year? I can't find the relevant thread.

Probably enough to lose alphas. I just didn't have the time to do Number Fields or Rep properly, so missed out stupid things (like checking the Minkowski bound...)

If you get 5 over the next two and you did CATAM then with enough betas you'd be fine for a first, I think.

Those I've spoken to at my college (and there are a lot of us) have had similar complaints. I don't know whether it's psychological, but I feel like so far I'd have done much better on any of the papers from the last 5 years

My plan was to stay for Part III too, but it's not looking promising. Here's hoping for 12 alphas from Papers 3 and 4...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
I think there are more Part II's this year, so you'd expect more moaning...

Original post by nuodai

I'm just hoping I do well enough to get into Part III, 'cos I really want to be here next year.

I've already put down a deposit to rent a house...
Reply 62
Original post by around
I've already put down a deposit to rent a house...

Snap. Results come out on my birthday. Planning on leveraging that when guilt tripping my DoS (if necessary)
Reply 63
Original post by SimonM
Snap. Results come out on my birthday. Planning on leveraging that when guilt tripping my DoS (if necessary)

If you get a 2:1 then the likes of me and around are doomed!
Reply 64
Original post by nuodai
If you get a 2:1 then the likes of me and around are doomed!

You didn't spent all year in Ely though.
Reply 65
Original post by Daniel Freedman
and again

Same here. Total disaster.

Original post by nuodai
Wow! But enough to lose alphas? If you throw enough questions at a wall some of them will get alphas :tongue:

That was my strategy in Parts IB and II. Doesn't work in Part III, for obvious reasons.
These exams are a such a bad joke. As someone already said, three years ending in farce.
As a suggestion for future reference: it would make sense to put section I questions for the D courses as well, as a little acknowledgment; it's really frustrating otherwise. Also, the disparity in difficulty across the courses is quite disconcerting. The whole system is a joke. Sorry for the rant, not a happy bunny these days.
Reply 67
Original post by Dialetheism
These exams are a such a bad joke. As someone already said, three years ending in farce.
As a suggestion for future reference: it would make sense to put section I questions for the D courses as well, as a little acknowledgment; it's really frustrating otherwise. Also, the disparity in difficulty across the courses is quite disconcerting. The whole system is a joke. Sorry for the rant, not a happy bunny these days.

I completely agree with having Section I questions for D courses.

For number theory this year there are 3.8a+4b available. For Algebraic Topology, maximum 4 alphas, and lets face it you can be pretty confident that only 3 of them will be attainable.
Reply 68
Gosh, it sounds like you guys are going through an evil year of exams. Hang in there!
Reply 69
for better or worse, only 1 left
Far from ideal, but a lot better today.
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Far from ideal, but a lot better today.

I thought Galois, Alg Geom and Rep were nice. As was Number theory, but I couldn't remember how to do it...
Reply 72
I missed the Topics in Analysis question that I could definitely do without having been to the lectures. Dammit!

I messed up Rep Theory because I thought it meant that it was talking about the representation on CX\mathbb{C}X rather just G=Sym(X)G=\text{Sym}(X). But I think Logic & Set Theory, Galois and Algebraic Topology went okay. (Out of interest, what did other people get for the homology groups of the 3-sphere-minus-a-solid-torus? I got Hn(M)ZH_n(M) \cong \mathbb{Z} for n=0,1n=0,1 and 0 for higher homology groups.)
Reply 73
Original post by nuodai
I missed the Topics in Analysis question that I could definitely do without having been to the lectures. Dammit!

I messed up Rep Theory because I thought it meant that it was talking about the representation on CX\mathbb{C}X rather just G=Sym(X)G=\text{Sym}(X). But I think Logic & Set Theory, Galois and Algebraic Topology went okay. (Out of interest, what did other people get for the homology groups of the 3-sphere-minus-a-solid-torus? I got Hn(M)ZH_n(M) \cong \mathbb{Z} for n=0,1n=0,1 and 0 for higher homology groups.)

Hmmm. Quick calculation here says that Hn(M)H_n (M) should be the free abelian group of rank 1 for n = 0, 1. But above that it's not so clear. We have an exact sequence
0H3(M)ZZH2(M)00 \longrightarrow H_3 (M) \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z} \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z} \longrightarrow H_2 (M) \longrightarrow 0

so in principle H3(M)H_3 (M) could be a free abelian group of rank 0 or 1, and H2(M)H_2 (M) could be any finite cyclic group. It all depends on what the connecting map H3(S3)H2(S1×S1)H_3 (S^3) \to H_2 (S^1 \times S^1) does, and that requires more geometric intuition than I have available...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Zhen Lin
Hmmm. Quick calculation here says that Hn(M)H_n (M) should be the free abelian group of rank 1 for n = 0, 1. But above that it's not so clear. We have an exact sequence
0H3(M)ZZH2(M)00 \longrightarrow H_3 (M) \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z} \longrightarrow \mathbb{Z} \longrightarrow H_2 (M) \longrightarrow 0

so in principle H3(M)H_3 (M) could be a free abelian group of rank 0 or 1, and H2(M)H_2 (M) could be any finite cyclic group. It all depends on what the connecting map H3(S3)H2(S1×S1)H_3 (S^3) \to H_2 (S^1 \times S^1) does, and that requires more geometric intuition than I have available...

We proved in the question that H3(S3)δ(3)H2(S1×S1)H_3(S^3) \xrightarrow{\delta^{(3)}_*} H_2(S^1 \times S^1) is an isomorphism (which I did by using the construction of δ\delta_* together with the hint, which said that H3(S3)H_3(S^3) is generated by an element which is represented by the sum of the 3-simplices with the 'same direction'), so that H3(M)β(3)ZH_3(M) \xrightarrow{\beta^{(3)}_*} \mathbb{Z} and Zα(2)H2(M)\mathbb{Z} \xrightarrow{\alpha^{(2)}_*} H_2(M) are trivial.

Geometric intuition was a long way away in this question... I can't think in 4 dimensions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by nuodai
. (Out of interest, what did other people get for the homology groups of the 3-sphere-minus-a-solid-torus? I got Hn(M)ZH_n(M) \cong \mathbb{Z} for n=0,1n=0,1 and 0 for higher homology groups.)

I am pretty sure that this is correct since the 3-sphere minus a solid torus is just a solid torus and then you have Hn(M)Hn(S1×D2)Hn(S1)H_n(M) \cong H_n(S^1 \times D^2) \cong H_n(S^1).

To see that MM is a solid torus I would think of the Hopf Fibration S1S3S2S^1 \hookrightarrow S^3 \to S^2. Take a copy of D2D^2 on S2S^2. Pulling back, by local triviality, we get D2×S1D^2 \times S^1. Since the complement of D2D^2 in S2S^2 is D2D^2; it follows that D2×S1D^2 \times S^1 is complemented by D2×S1D^2 \times S^1 in S3S^3.
Reply 76
Original post by Jake22
I am pretty sure that this is correct since the 3-sphere minus a solid torus is just a solid torus and then you have Hn(M)Hn(S1×D2)Hn(S1)H_n(M) \cong H_n(S^1 \times D^2) \cong H_n(S^1).
Ah right; fortunately I don't think we were expected to know that a 3-sphere minus a solid torus is another solid torus. (It would make the question very easy if we knew that.)

Original post by Jake22
To see that MM is a solid torus I would think of the Hopf Fibration S1S3S2S^1 \hookrightarrow S^3 \to S^2. Take a copy of D2D^2 on S2S^2. Pulling back, by local triviality, we get D2×S1D^2 \times S^1. Since the complement of D2D^2 in S2S^2 is D2D^2; it follows that D2×S1D^2 \times S^1 is complemented by D2×S1D^2 \times S^1 in S3S^3.

If you say so. Maybe in a Part III exam! :p:
Reply 77
Original post by Jake22

D'oh. Yes, that's obvious now...
Reply 78
Original post by nuodai
Ah right; fortunately I don't think we were expected to know that a 3-sphere minus a solid torus is another solid torus. (It would make the question very easy if we knew that.)

If you say so. Maybe in a Part III exam! :p:

I think my method is probably much simpler tbh. It only really requires the definition of the Hopf Fibration. I imagine you will be seeing it if you do more Algebraic Topology in Part III.

The point being that to get geometrical intuition for S3S^3 you want to construct it in a way most conducive to the constrained number of dimensions we are normally able to think in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 79
and we are done

(i may have written that a few times)

Quick Reply

Latest