The Student Room Group

Advancing phys. G492 May 2012 pre-release!

OCR B Physics students, I hope you are aware of the pre-release article for the G492 exam on the 25th May.

*edit 4*

Just another minor update. Included the majority of the recommened CD definitions of calibration and uncertainty.

Please check the link in the second post, for two sets of possible questions.

Also I have obtained a few predicted questions from a friend, I plan to upload these tomorrow
(edited 11 years ago)
There are two sets of possible questions at the bottom of this page, which I found really useful to get me thinking about the ideas of the article.
http://83.170.93.38/~matthew/mod/resource/index.php?id=62
freddie, you dont need a username, just click login as guest
Reply 3
Original post by annamackenzie
There are two sets of possible questions at the bottom of this page, which I found really useful to get me thinking about the ideas of the article.
http://83.170.93.38/~matthew/mod/resource/index.php?id=62

Ah thank you very much! + rep :smile: If only my school could provide such good resources haha
Original post by Andy16
OCR B Physics students, I hope you are aware of the pre-release article for the G492 exam on the 25th May.

*edit 3* I haven't been very productive, but I've made some notes on article 3.
Please check the link in the second post, for two sets of possible questions.

Also I have obtained a few predicted questions from a friend, I plan to upload these tomorrow

Thanks for uploading. Not read it yet, but I'm sure it's useful.
Reply 5
Original post by When you see it...
Thanks for uploading. Not read it yet, but I'm sure it's useful.

Quick question for you;

When measuring a single quantity, i.e. the length of a wire with a ruler, is the resolution of the ruler one half of the smallest measurable value, or just the smallest measurable value?
My teacher seemed to suggest that with something like a ruler (and probably an ammeter), because you can tell the halfway point between two 'notches', the resolution is a half of the smallest measureable value e.g. 1/2 of 1mm.

Do you think he is wrong? Also is the uncertainty caused by the resolution +/- the smallest measureable value, or +/- one half of the smallest measureable value? thanks.
Original post by Andy16
Quick question for you;

When measuring a single quantity, i.e. the length of a wire with a ruler, is the resolution of the ruler one half of the smallest measurable value, or just the smallest measurable value?
My teacher seemed to suggest that with something like a ruler (and probably an ammeter), because you can tell the halfway point between two 'notches', the resolution is a half of the smallest measureable value e.g. 1/2 of 1mm.

Do you think he is wrong? Also is the uncertainty caused by the resolution +/- the smallest measureable value, or +/- one half of the smallest measureable value? thanks.

If you can read (confidently) halfway between the two smallest scale divisions, then the halfway point is the smallest measurable value and if you can't, then the difference between the scale divisions is the smallest measurable value. I think anyway. So therefore you always use the smallest measurable value, it's just that sometimes this value is half of what you might think (i.e. half the scal division). I could well be talking *******s, so anyone reading this feel free to correct.
As for digital instruments, the resolution is half of the smallest change displayed (i.e. if the ammeter goes up in 0.01 A increments, the resolution is 0.005 A because for any given value, it could be plus or minus 0.005 A bigger or smaller than the value displayed - the displayed value is rounded).
Now that I think about it, the two paragraphs I just wrote are a bit contradictory. I too would like it if someone could clarify!
Original post by Andy16
Also is the uncertainty caused by the resolution +/- the smallest measureable value, or +/- one half of the smallest measureable value? thanks.

BTW I think it is just +/- the resolution, although it was different for chemistry. Who knows? Lets wait until someone else responds before we decide what is correct.
I can't seem to find the answers to question set 2 for the pre release???! I don't suppose anyone knows where to find them?? I'm stressing out now because I want to know how I did!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending