Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if I charged my keyboard with a different output charger?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I bought a Logitech diNovo Edge off my mate but he didn't have a charger with it. The docking station says it requires a charger with an output of 8v 500ma but I can't find a charger with that exact output and the right pin size anywhere! Planning to browse through eBay after my exams.

I looked around the house and found a charger for a cordless phone with the output 6V 500ma it seems to fit the docking station and I tried charging my keyboard for 5 minutes and it worked - I just want to know what would happen if I regularly did this? Will it damage anything? I probably will get the right charger eventually but for the time being this seems like a good alternative.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It'll explode and kill you.

seiing as it's just the volts that is lower then it should be fine. The only problem will be it may not charge while you're using it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It won't charge efficiently.

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/4872 has one for £10.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    It'll explode and kill you.

seiing as it's just the volts that is lower then it should be fine. The only problem will be it may not charge while you're using it.
    lol, I'm just scared it might mess up the battery permanently or perhaps even the docking station (it was a pretty expensive set!). I mean since it's less than the optimum output it shouldn't overpower it or anything I guess. I read a few things online about it damaging battery life though - however I'm not entirely sure why! I would've figured it'd just be a slower charge or it wouldn't charge the battery at the full 100%.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

I feel like an idiot for not checking their website first! Thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

Although bloody hell, £18.93 with delivery for a charger!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ir'll take an age to charge, if anything it'll probably damage the chargers. the keyboard will be tryuing to draw the 8v but the charger will only provide 6/ it may get hot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.