Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

EU Bloc - VOTE on Switzerland becoming a full member of the EU

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results:
    0%

• 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Switzerland would like to become a full member of the EU enjoying full member state privileges. You have four days to vote on this. If unanimously approved, the HoC will then need to ratify an ascension treaty. I'm aware that the system doesn't work like this in real life, but having more flexibility might help the system because there's no time frame between moving between each level. A 100% Aye vote is required for Switzerland to become a full member.

You can now vote,

toronto353

Acting Secretariat

(Original post by PierceBrosnan)
    QFA
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Before voting, Finland wishes to ask the Swiss representative why it wants full membership of the EU, and what it will do with it?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC: I favour applicant status being granted.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    OOC: I favour applicant status being granted.
    OOC: Once ratified, we'll have to look at this issue.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    OOC: Once ratified, we'll have to look at this issue.
    OOC: I am in favour but one step at a time.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    OOC: I am in favour but one step at a time.
    OOC: We'll change to applicant status then.

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    QFA
    Could you edit the poll to read:

Do you support Switzerland becoming an applicant member of the EU?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC: Just to clear up my huge confusion at this, can I vote in any of these polls? I'm the representative for Iceland but am not currently a full member of the EU.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    OOC: Just to clear up my huge confusion at this, can I vote in any of these polls? I'm the representative for Iceland but am not currently a full member of the EU.
    OOC: Unfortunately you can't vote. You are free to debate any motion such as the ones in the main thread and ask questions in any vote though and should Iceland wish to upgrade her member status, then that will allow her full voting rights.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bulgaria supports Switzerland's bid for accession into the European Union.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC:
    Could you edit the poll to read:

Do you support Switzerland becoming an applicant member of the EU?
    [ooc] Done. I'll be sending out an accouncement on this and on the Secretariat position later today. Have you had any responses at all? [/ooc]
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    [ooc] Done. I'll be sending out an accouncement on this and on the Secretariat position later today. Have you had any responses at all? [/ooc]
    ooc: I've had a few read receipt returns and the odd post in the other thread.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    Before voting, Finland wishes to ask the Swiss representative why it wants full membership of the EU, and what it will do with it?
    A perfectly valid question from our Finnish friend. As one of the EU's closest partners politically and economically we feel it would value the European Union more to have a country like Switzerland to join. As a country that practices Direct Democracy we can show other countries that our system works effectively as well. Furthermore, as we're politically and economically tied to the European Union we would be happy to vote on measures that will benefit not just the EU but the rest of the world. We believe that by having us at full member status, we will also influence other sceptical nations within the European continent to have a greater role with the European Union.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    A perfectly valid question from our Finnish friend. As one of the EU's closest partners politically and economically we feel it would value the European Union more to have a country like Switzerland to join. As a country that practices Direct Democracy we can show other countries that our system works effectively as well. Furthermore, as we're politically and economically tied to the European Union we would be happy to vote on measures that will benefit not just the EU but the rest of the world. We believe that by having us at full member status, we will also influence other sceptical nations within the European continent to have a greater role with the European Union.
    OOC: Just to inform you, it's applicant member you're applying for at the moment because, following RL, that is the first step.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC: Just to inform you, it's applicant member you're applying for at the moment because, following RL, that is the first step.
    OOC: Perfectly legitimate
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC: Perfectly legitimate
    :fyi: I pointed it out. OOC: RL Swiss/EU Relations http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland–European_Union_rel ations

I am in favour of applicant status being granted
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sweeden votes in favour.

OOC: Potential future amendment but it should really be a super-majority rather than 100%.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Holy See wishes Switzerland well in its bid for applicant status.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Latvia having previously had a spat with Switzerland over the Falklands is willing to fully support Switzerland's applicant status to the EU. Switzerland is in Latvia's eyes a totally unique character in Europe and there will need to be discussion on whether some of its laws and economic practices can be in line with EU members.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankayak)
    Latvia having previously had a spat with Switzerland over the Falklands is willing to fully support Switzerland's applicant status to the EU. Switzerland is in Latvia's eyes a totally unique character in Europe and there will need to be discussion on whether some of its laws and economic practices can be in line with EU members.
    I'm glad that Latvia, despite having a spat with Switzerland considers our interests.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOC: Could you check that none of the votes are from non-EU countries please? If they are, could you remove them please?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 14, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.