The Student Room Group

Starting in Sept, already getting added on facebook

ddd
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Steerforth
So I am going to Newcastle in September. I have joined a facebook group for people who are going to be on the same course so that we can discuss things before we go such as what to take etc. I am slightly concerned, as some people in the group have added me as a friend. So far I have declined all those who have added me due to the fact that 1) I try to only be friends with people who I am actually friends with/know well, and 2) I don't want people to have pre-conceived ideas of what I am going to be like - just by looking at my profile. I want uni to be a fresh start - not that I haven't had an awesome time in school - and I'm sure I will act the same as I have always done, just going to be myself.

My worry is that some people may see my action as not accepting them as a friend as unfriendly. Of course as soon as September comes and I start the course I will add them - assuming I have met them, but will my lack of pre-course online social interaction put me in poorer stead when it comes to making friends? I know everyone will use facebook differently and I can only assume that others are far more willing to add people they don't know than I am.

I feel that with the emergence of social media, I am having to learn a whole new set of manners and people skills - and this time my parents can't tell me what it right or wrong!

So what is your view on this TSR? Are these people strange for adding me so early? Should I accept them? Have you had any experiences of anything smilar?

If they're people who are going to be on your course and they add you, I would probably accept. Then again there's nothing wrong with security if you're unsure.
I wouldn't worry about it, they'll never remember in 4 months.

Only people I added in advance were my flat mates a few weeks before.
Use privacy settings on facebook to your advantage here. You can customise who can see what soooo you can avoid seeming like you're being anti-social, yet keeping yourself hidden until you unleash yourself on the toon!
Don't add, don't delete...

Just ignore the friend requests til you meet them and confirm them then :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Steerforth
So I am going to Newcastle in September. I have joined a facebook group for people who are going to be on the same course so that we can discuss things before we go such as what to take etc. I am slightly concerned, as some people in the group have added me as a friend. So far I have declined all those who have added me due to the fact that 1) I try to only be friends with people who I am actually friends with/know well, and 2) I don't want people to have pre-conceived ideas of what I am going to be like - just by looking at my profile. I want uni to be a fresh start - not that I haven't had an awesome time in school - and I'm sure I will act the same as I have always done, just going to be myself.

My worry is that some people may see my action as not accepting them as a friend as unfriendly. Of course as soon as September comes and I start the course I will add them - assuming I have met them, but will my lack of pre-course online social interaction put me in poorer stead when it comes to making friends? I know everyone will use facebook differently and I can only assume that others are far more willing to add people they don't know than I am.

I feel that with the emergence of social media, I am having to learn a whole new set of manners and people skills - and this time my parents can't tell me what it right or wrong!

So what is your view on this TSR? Are these people strange for adding me so early? Should I accept them? Have you had any experiences of anything smilar?

I think everyone wants to be as social as possible because they're scared of the potential awkwardness during freshers and want to know people (presumably from their course) before they start. I would be inclined to accept them but it's obviously up to you I :smile:.

Spoiler

Reply 6
They're probably just being friendly, they might want to make friends early so it doesn't seem as bad when they start :smile:

Usually if I'm unsure about a friend request (e.g I know who they are but not enough to have on fb) then I usually just ignore it so it's still there and it just looks like I haven't got round to accepting :wink:
Reply 7
i think they are just friendly :smile:
Reply 8
There's topics about people not having friends and now there is a topic about someone declining a chance to make friends ./thisworld

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending