The Student Room Group

What degree can I get into with these A levels?

What degree will I be able to get into with the following subjects?

Maths (With statistics)
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

I want to know what I can do in University with these, and hopefully something that can get me a pretty well paid job at the end? Don't say Medicine please, as I want to be realistic - and a lot of people have been denied a place to do medicine, including people with AMAZING A-level grades so I want to be a bit realistic... So any other things I can do at university?

Pharmacy? Heard of that. Is it worth it? Will it be likely to get a job at the end of it?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

edit: please quote me when answering so I can find this thread lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
you can do a maths degree, a biology degree, a chemistry degree and a psychology degree
Original post by PoorLoser

Maths (With statistics)
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

I want to know what I can do in University with these, and hopefully something that can get me a pretty well paid job at the end? Don't say Medicine please, as I want to be realistic - and a lot of people have been denied a place to do medicine, including people with AMAZING A-level grades so I want to be a bit realistic... So any other things I can do at university?

Pharmacy? Heard of that. Is it worth it? Will it be likely to get a job at the end of it?

You've got pretty solid A-levels there that can lead to a lot of great degrees. What do you actually enjoy? Sure you want to think about prospects but you won't make it through a degree you hate.

Anyway brainstorming:

Maths
Chemistry
Chemical Engineering
Biochemistry (but I hear numerous bad things in terms of employment here)
Psychology
Economics
Accounting
Law
Computer Science
Biology
you got solid A-levels.
so Pharmacy is definetly a good career to go into and you will get a good job after your degree.
You can do any of those subjects, or a combination, and depending on grades you can probably do medicine, y'know. Law is most likely open too. But if you want a 'vocational' subject, optometry or Orthoptics is the way to go (not that I'm biased). The grades for both aren't too unrealistic (especially Orthoptics, which is also a free course as the NHS really need them) and the employment (which seems like youre most worried about) is close to 100% for both. Obviously that's only good if you're into vision and optics and stuff though, but it is worth considering.
That said, pharmacy is a great degree too, and I think the unemployment is low in those graduates too.
Basically, you can do just about anything, bar things like history or English I think)which would require those subjects or something similar.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Awww, your username makes me want to give you a hug!!!
Reply 6
Thanks everyone who posted! I appreciate it!
So I've heard it is difficult to get a good job after doing a degree for a subject e.g. Doing a pure chemistry degree or biology or maths degree and the only good job you can get is being a teacher of that subject.

Is this true? should I avoid picking subjects like these for a degree?

Thanks again
Not necessarily, I think in terms of a specific subject it comes down to how much experience you gain also... ie. doing maths you can easily go into finance, but you need the internships behind you ideally. Same for other subjects I think :smile:
Reply 8

Maths (With statistics)
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

Don't base your degree just on job prospects. You've got to do something that you actually enjoy.
Reply 9
If you want a degree that will get you a good job economics is a fairly solid choice as long as you are ok with all the maths...

Maths (With statistics)
Further Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Psychology

I'd say you could get onto a lot of Engineering course with that level of Maths, some may look for a Physics A level though. Also any other courses based on maths!

Quick Reply

Latest