Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Finding it hard to develop a healthy diet?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

Basically I'm finding it really hard to develop a healthy diet and I'm worried it's affecting my studying. At around Christmas time I gave up smoking and found as a result I piled on the pounds almost overnight, horrified, I resolved to lose this extra weight, I didn't want a long drawn out struggle so I decided to to do it fast, I started a 600kcal or less a day diet and began working out at the gym 3 times a week (more if I had time) and walking the daily mile or so journey to my boyfriends house, I lost the weight quickly and am actually slimmer than I was before but now I'm now finding it hard to give up my diet and 'eat normally' again as my boyfriend puts it, I guess in a weird way I enjoy the feeling of control it brings and I'm worried about putting on weight again and also mainly I still feel unsatisfied with my body, so I've fallen into this weird pattern of following the diet, occasionally having a day where I break and stuff my face and then fasting to undo that damage and it's really causing havoc with my concentration skills, I carn't focus, I do want to establish a healthy diet and keep exercising but I feel that possibly my views on whats healthy food and what isn't has changed, a breakfast and a meal in the evening doesn't feel healthy to me anymore :/ and I don't what to do!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I lost weight over last summer through healthy eating and exercise, and, like you, I found it hard to get back into eating normally once I'd lost the weight. You mentioned that you were eating 600kcal a day on top of working out for a long time? Your body must've been running on pretty much no fuel! I know you don't want to hear this, but anything under 1200kcal a day is considered extremely dangerous. Such a low-calorie diet can result in excessive weight gain once a person starts to eat above that amount again - just remember that the longer it takes you to lose it, the easier it'll be to keep it off!

I used to do exactly what you're doing - stuffing my face one day, and then starving myself afterwards for a day or two. If you starve yourself, there will come a point where you feel so hungry, that you'll just start binging. This behaviour made me gain weight really quickly! I then lost 3st over a period of 4 and a half months simply by having a healthy, balanced meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner with small snacks in between, while at the same time remembering to treat myself every now and again and exercising. And I made sure I stuck to 1400-1800 calories a day (taking away whatever I'd burned off while exercising). When it came to maintaining it, I simply upped the calories to the recommended amount of 2000 a day, and allowing myself more treats every so often! I realised that there was no quick fix to losing weight/maintaining a healthy weight - it has to be more of a life change than a diet. If you need any help with ideas of what to eat, etc, just ask!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    600cal a day? Am I understanding that right? That's not healthy, that's starving yourself. It's not sustainable without heading into the realms of eating disorder.

work on it by making small changes, don't try to change it over night. Start making your breakfast a bit bigger, then add another snack ect. Take it in small steps and it's more manageable

In the mean time take some vitamins because you are probably getting no where near enough of almost everything
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Basically I'm finding it really hard to develop a healthy diet and I'm worried it's affecting my studying. At around Christmas time I gave up smoking and found as a result I piled on the pounds almost overnight, horrified, I resolved to lose this extra weight, I didn't want a long drawn out struggle so I decided to to do it fast, I started a 600kcal or less a day diet and began working out at the gym 3 times a week (more if I had time) and walking the daily mile or so journey to my boyfriends house, I lost the weight quickly and am actually slimmer than I was before but now I'm now finding it hard to give up my diet and 'eat normally' again as my boyfriend puts it, I guess in a weird way I enjoy the feeling of control it brings and I'm worried about putting on weight again and also mainly I still feel unsatisfied with my body, so I've fallen into this weird pattern of following the diet, occasionally having a day where I break and stuff my face and then fasting to undo that damage and it's really causing havoc with my concentration skills, I carn't focus, I do want to establish a healthy diet and keep exercising but I feel that possibly my views on whats healthy food and what isn't has changed, a breakfast and a meal in the evening doesn't feel healthy to me anymore :/ and I don't what to do!
    Firstly, it's good that you realise there's a problem with your curret diet. You know that 600cals a day + binging will only end badly so you need to sort this out now.
    I suggest strongly that you go to your GP and discuss this problem with them. They will be able to provide you with an eating plan and advise on the best course of action.

I'd suggest you calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate) here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This will give you the minimum required calories just to maintain your current weight.

Then you should set up a meal plan and be strict with yourself about sticking to it. 3 meals a day plus a couple of small snacks. Make the meals good - lots of protein, lots of fruit and veg to nourish your body and lots of healthy fats (oily fish, avocadoes, small portions of nuts).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.