Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many British people supporting Bayern over Chelsea?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand this. I was in Germany a few days ago and EVERY football fan I met, Bayern supporter or not, wanted them to beat Chelsea. Back in UK it's like half the people passionately want Chelsea to lose.

I understand the logic that Bayern might play "better" football but still, I can't believe how many British people are not supporting Chelsea. I might be a bit bias because I support Chelsea myself but even in the past I've always supported the British team.

This isn't just in football. In tennis, some people are happy to see Andy Murray lose every match. In cricket, some people are happy to support countries like India and Australia over England even if we're the better team. In the World Cup, football, rugby or cricket, there are always people who want us to lose.

I wasn't even born in this country but I support England and any British team whenever they play against anyone else. Why the hate people? Some Germans didn't believe me when I told them that people back home were supporting Bayern yet here it seems so common.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why would a supporter of Tottenham or Wigan want a rival club to beat another rival club?

+ If chelsea win then tottenham/newcastle or whoever wont get a cl place despite coming 4th
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle / Arsenal / Tottenham supporters.

Oh, and Chelsea haters?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, okay I get it that you don't want Chelsea to win the CL in case your team misses out on the Champions League spot but this is aimed more at people who aren't fans of those teams and just generally want British teams to lose. Against Barca even, there were so many people who wanted Chelsea to lose even though it wouldn't effect their team in any way.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0906079)
    Well, okay I get it that you don't want Chelsea to win the CL in case your team misses out on the Champions League spot but this is aimed more at people who aren't fans of those teams and just generally want British teams to lose. Against Barca even, there were so many people who wanted Chelsea to lose even though it wouldn't effect their team in any way.
    Actually im not a fan of anyone who would miss out on the champions league spot. The reason is obvious, you want a non rival to beat another team which is your rival (even slightly). I cant see why anyone who supports any other team should support chelsea over bayern just because of they are english. Personally I dont really care at all
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginseng)
    Why would a supporter of Tottenham or Wigan want a rival club to beat another rival club?

+ If chelsea win then tottenham/newcastle or whoever wont get a cl place despite coming 4th
    Rivalry should be put aside imo for when you're facing a foreign team. I hate Man Utd with a passion but wanted them to go as far as possible in the CL. Idk, maybe I have it all wrong but I would've thought more people would want a team from this country to do well.
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    The desire to see John Terry sob like a little girl?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    The desire to see John Terry sob like a little girl?
    If they lose he'll say it because he was suspended.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't care, I just want a match full of drama and goals.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginseng)
    Actually im not a fan of anyone who would miss out on the champions league spot. The reason is obvious, you want a non rival to beat another team which is your rival (even slightly). I cant see why anyone who supports any other team should support chelsea over bayern just because of they are english. Personally I dont really care at all
    I'm not trying to offend you but I've only witnessed this mindset in Britain. I lived in Madrid for a few years a while back and as you know most people from that city hate Barca with a passion but even then, a lot of them were supporting Barca over any PL team in the Champions League because they wanted their country to have the trophy. We hardly ever see this in the UK.
    • 64 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    If they lose he'll say it because he was suspended.
    And if they win he'll have that smug smirk on his face forever. Tough choice!

Ultimately though I'll be loyal to my city and my country and hope Chelsea win.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rivalry should be put aside imo for when you're facing a foreign team. I hate Man Utd with a passion but wanted them to go as far as possible in the CL. Idk, maybe I have it all wrong but I would've thought more people would want a team from this country to do well.
    yes you do

the only team in your league you should want success for is your own, and quite frankly using other countries as an example is ridiculous they should follow are example its our sport after all...

how to put this if you saw two people holding onto the edge of a building you know one of them and hate there guts but you have only really heard of the other one so cant form an opinion on the matter you obviously save the one you dont know right?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    yes you do

the only team in your league you should want success for is your own,

how to put this if you saw two people holding onto the edge of a building you know one of them and hate there guts but you have only really heard of the other one so cant form an opinion on the matter you obviously save the one you dont know right?
    So you'd rather see one of the biggest trophies in the world go to another country than yours, just because you're not a fan of Chelsea? We have the best league in the world, shouldn't people be happy that a team from our country is doing so well?

As for your analogy, to come through two matches scoring more goals than the best team in history if anything you should admire Chelsea's guts.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you'd rather see one of the biggest trophies in the world go to another country than yours, just because you're not a fan of Chelsea? We have the best league in the world, shouldn't people be happy that a team from our country is doing so well?

As for your analogy, to come through two matches scoring more goals than the best team in history if anything you should admire Chelsea's guts.
    Dont see how you can hate a team all season, then just because theyre playing a team from another country you suddenly like them. Makes no sense at all. And the fact that Harry Redknapp has this view confirms to me that its the stupid view.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a Chelsea fan and I agree.

As mentioned I think this year there is mixed emotions because of the implications that it could have on Arsenal, Tottenham, Newcastle. However, in previous years it makes me proud when I see 4 English teams in the quarter finals. Hell if we had an all English semi-final I'd love that. I want English football to dominate European football and show the world that the Premier League is THE best league in the world.

I'd root for any English team to do well in Europe, apart from Tottenham 'coz I can't ****ing stand them. But I guess that comes from the local rivalry... That said, I was pretty devastated when W.Ham got demoted...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to offend you but I've only witnessed this mindset in Britain. I lived in Madrid for a few years a while back and as you know most people from that city hate Barca with a passion but even then, a lot of them were supporting Barca over any PL team in the Champions League because they wanted their country to have the trophy. We hardly ever see this in the UK.
    ... this. I'd rather Man Utd/City Arsenal beat a dirty spanish team in the final in Europe. In England, it's a different matter.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh right just like when you supported United when we were against Barca? :rolleyes:

/thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a lifelong Newcastle fan I really want us to see Champions League again. I can't remember when we were last there with Bobby Robson.

My favourite (and earliest)memories as a Newcastle fan (admittedly there hasn't been many ) was of us in the Uefa Cup. I remember watching us destroy Real Mallorca 4-1 while in Spain on a family holiday. And then the dispair of seeing a young Didier Drogba score 2 goals against us in the semi-finals to knock us out and put Marseille through to the finals.

I REALLY want us back playing in Europe! And now that Newcastle are guarenteed Europa League then CL would be orgasmic.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nationalism and patriotism have no part to play in CLUB football imo. Only about 3-4 of the Chelsea first team are even English anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Oh right just like when you supported United when we were against Barca? :rolleyes:

/thread
    Uh yes I did.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.