Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Homosexuality and Christianity

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    So. To all those Christians who say they are against homosexuality, gay marriage, etc. Please take a look at this and then tell me your thoughts. I am genuinely interested.

http://www.jesusonhomosexuality.com/...osexuality.pdf

So I know its really long, but even reading some of the first chapter is the basis for pretty much the rest of the 'book'. So what do you all think? It is based on academic, and religious scholarly work...

Edit: I love how people like to neg but not respond. Seems to be a trend in this forum :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    So. To all those Christians who say they are agains homosexuality, gay marriage, etc. Please take a look at this and then tel me your thoughts. I am genuinely interested.

http://www.jesusonhomosexuality.com/...osexuality.pdf

So I know its really long, but even reading some of the first chapter is the basis for pretty much the rest of the 'book'. So what do you all think? It is based on academic, and religious scholarly work...
    Thank you so much for posting this! I hope all Christians will one day understand that God loves us whoever we are. Here is another, less dense website which also discusses the subject. http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or...ay_couple.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is only an issue for people who think the Bible is true.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    Then I see no reason for you to post here.

Plus, you're wrong. I don't think the Bible is inerrant, and I still find this interesting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You finding it interesting is not really the same as having an issue about it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

You finding it interesting is not really the same as having an issue about it.
    If you say so :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    While I sympathise with what the author of the text is trying to do, I'd say it's an anachronism to say that Jesus spoke on matters of same-sex relations and same-sex marriage as we understand it. Such things did not exist in first century Judea.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilio Candidior)
    While I sympathise with what the author of the text is trying to do, I'd say it's an anachronism to say that Jesus spoke on matters of same-sex relations and same-sex marriage as we understand it. Such things did not exist in first century Judea.
    He is not saying that Jesus spoke on same sex marriage specifically. He is saying that Jesus did in a way speak on homosexual relations, because there is evidence that those did exist then. Similar to how they exist today.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phaethon)
    Thank you so much for posting this! I hope all Christians will one day understand that God loves us whoever we are. Here is another, less dense website which also discusses the subject. http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or...ay_couple.html
    That is interesting! I had never seen that before.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    Thats irrelevant. Hence I asked Christians what they thought about it. And even if you don't believe in the bible you can find it interesting and interpret its texts. It's like any other book. You don't necessarily have to believe it is true to analyze and understand it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The bible is very clear on on the issue of Homosexuality, and it is very clear that God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Lots of people say Jesus never spoke on this issue but that is not true Jesus himself directly addresses the issue of marriage when he says in Matthew:

And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Jesus is quoting from Genesis, and confirms that Jesus agrees marriage is between one man and one woman.

Further more those who say Jesus didn't address the issue or that he disagreed with what the rest of the bible says on the issue seem to forget what is said in John, Chapter 1 where we read.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
    and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with
    God. All things were made by him; and without him was
    not any thing made that was made.

So Jesus, the Creator, is the Word. The Bible is the written Word. Every word in the Bible is really the Word of the Creator—Jesus Christ.

So therefore Jesus is directly dealing with the issue because Jesus in a real sense wrote all of the Bible, so whenever Scripture deals with marriage and/or the homosexual issue,Jesus Himself is directly dealing with these issues.

Here are some more verses from the bible that makes the position of God/Jesus very clear

Leviticus 18:22

22 You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.

Romans 1:26-27

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

1 Timothy 1:9-10

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)
    The bible is very clear on on the issue of Homosexuality, and it is very clear that God intended marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Lots of people say Jesus never spoke on this issue but that is not true Jesus himself directly addresses the issue of marriage when he says in Matthew:

And He answered and said to them, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female, and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Jesus is quoting from Genesis, and confirms that Jesus agrees marriage is between one man and one woman.

Further more those who say Jesus didn't address the issue or that he disagreed with what the rest of the bible says on the issue seem to forget what is said in John, Chapter 1 where we read.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God,
    and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with
    God. All things were made by him; and without him was
    not any thing made that was made.

So Jesus, the Creator, is the Word. The Bible is the written Word. Every word in the Bible is really the Word of the Creator—Jesus Christ.

So therefore Jesus is directly dealing with the issue because Jesus in a real sense wrote all of the Bible, so whenever Scripture deals with marriage and/or the homosexual issue,Jesus Himself is directly dealing with these issues.

Here are some more verses from the bible that makes the position of God/Jesus very clear

Leviticus 18:22

Romans 1:26-27

26 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. 27 Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.

1 Timothy 1:9-10

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
    10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

1 Corinthians 6:9

Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
    Did you even follow and read the link I posted in the OP?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I read some of it but it's quite clear the author is trying to put into the bible what isn't there. The bible is very clear that homosexuality is wrong and you don't need to be a scholar to figure it out.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read some of it but it's quite clear the author is trying to put into the bible what isn't there. The bible is very clear that homosexuality is wrong and you don't need to be a scholar to figure it out.
    If you didn't read then why did you bother posting? The author uses the bible to back every claim he makes. There are citations and everything.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandZul'Zorander)
    If you didn't read then why did you bother posting? The author uses the bible to back every claim he makes. There are citations and everything.
    I read enough to get the message. The author is using things from the bible and reading into them what he wants them to say even though what he is implying is contrary to every verse that deals with the issue openly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for posting this!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read enough to get the message. The author is using things from the bible and reading into them what he wants them to say even though what he is implying is contrary to every verse that deals with the issue openly.
    Lol you missed the entire point of the paper didn't you? Well we will start with this. You quote leviticus. That is OT which is irrelevant. Or do you also think nobody should be allowed to eat shellfish? Or wear mixed fabric clothing? Because you'd be pretty hard pressed to find something other than that.

I don't know where in Matthew you got that quote...can you give me the chapter and verse so I can find it?

Then there is Corinthians to deal with in which people interpret a made up greek word to mean homosexual, even though it was originally interpreted to mean homosexual. :rolleyes: arsenokoitai is not a real greek word. It was created for that specific instance and it literally translates to man looker. Which can mean any number of things.

Timothy didn't actually directly deal with homosexuality now did it? No where in that quote did it say anything about homosexuals. The only part that can be interpreted to say as such is the 'contrary to sound doctrine' which if you actually read the link I posted it is highly contestable that homosexuality goes against 'sound doctrine'.

And then there is Romans, I don't know how familiar you are with romans, but many people have many different ways of interpreting romans. In case you hadn't noticed it says that those who gave up 'natural' relations with women were doing wrong. This would imply that those who would otherwise not have relations with men and were anyway are in sin. Not necessarily homosexuals.

This is of course all besides the fact that you as a Christian are supposed to live by the words of your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who says,

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Funny how this is used in the book I was talking about.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murield71)
    Thank you so much for posting this!
    You're welcome
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    x
    I also found your quote from Matthew. It is talking about divorce not marriage lol. It is the Pharisees asking what Jesus says on divorce, they asked specifically about a man and woman, Jesus replied with that there shall be no divorce. Except then later in the bible Jesus condones divorce due to adultery. Funny how contradictory even your own savior was.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    X
    Ok, for the first quote I encourage to read on and see what Jesus has to say about those who do not fall into the category he is talking about. Then, check the following link : http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or.../born_gay.html

Pardon me, but you're not making much sense. Jesus is the Word, the Bible is the Word, so Jesus is the Bible??? You'll have to explain. And even so, it doesn't really argue your case that homosexuality is a sin.

Will you kindly explain to me why there is no verse that says "thou shall not lie with a woman as with a man" ? The issue here is sodomy, which at the time was dangerous for health reasons. Just like eating pork and shellfish (at the time).

see this: http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.or...mans_1_21.html

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.