The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by River85
Ah, yeah, forgot UoL (and for the second time this week). Is it really that, "cheap"? I seem to remember looking a few years ago and it cost 6 or 8k?

When I said 30k+, this is obviously for studying at "brick" universities, full time (so little opportunity to earn money) and with living costs and 6 - 10k tuition fees. Some form of distance learning, including OU and UoL, is the cheapest way he's likely to find.

Yes, University of London, that world famous mickey mouse university with its fake degrees.

It depends if you pay for separate tuition on top of the basic material and how many years your drag it out over. Just receiving the material and taking the exams in the minimum 3 years is just under £4k.
Reply 21
Can I make the obvious comment? You have mentioned some pretty crazy plans for doing a second degree that would involve massive effort, life change and continued financial hardship. If you were really that bothered about getting a 2:1, then surely you would have put the effort in on the first go. But you didn't. This suggests that you didn't really care and should thus just move on.

That said, it would seem to me that the cheapest and easiest option for you would be the Open University. Depending on which course you do - you could be talking about just a few thousand pounds overall. You could also easily fit it around work. If you are a low earner then it could even be free.

Original post by hi-everybody

I've had a tough year and only got it because my third cousin broke his finger and it hit me hard - or maybe I'm just a lazy ****. (Its the lazy **** thing).

Haha. I empathise with you. My pet hamster died when I was 5 and it has haunted me ever since.

If I moved to scotland for a year or two would I qualify for scottish fees (~£1800a year)? This is my primary plan atm.

AFAIAA - no. I think you would have had to have gone to school in Scotland for two years.

Is study in europe really free? If so is it hard to get places - and is learning the language essential or are there courses taught in english?

It really depends where. There are many places in, for instance, France and Germany where certain undergraduate courses are run in English. It might not be essential to learn the language to survive the degree but you would have to earn money for living expenses and soforth...
Do it in Holland
You'll need an engineering degree if you want to work in engineering, but is that why you want an engineering degree? An MSc in some sort of chemical or process engineering would probably be your best bet as your chemistry background would be useful for that.
Reply 25
Having just flunked an exam I needed to score highly on to get a 2:1 I am now just waiting for confirmation of my 2:2 in chemistry.

I've had a tough year and only got it because my third cousin broke his finger and it hit me hard - or maybe I'm just a lazy ****. (Its the lazy **** thing).

Anyway I would like to get back some pride and save up for a bit and then go back to university at some point - but the £9000 fees are ridiculous so I am considering study abroad.

If I moved to scotland for a year or two would I qualify for scottish fees (~£1800a year)? This is my primary plan atm.

Is study in europe really free? If so is it hard to get places - and is learning the language essential or are there courses taught in english?

Any other suggestions that might be cheaper than I think? canada? switzerland?

Any help appreciated

I have A level A grades in Maths, Physics, Chem, and History have worked part time throughout my degree and am looking at doing an engineering degree.

dont go abroad theyre not cheap and as for switzerland unless you speak the language i dont believe theres any degrees you could get on to...
only cheap ones ive heard of which teach in english is maastricht and there was a german one advertised on TSR a couple of weeks back but other than that i suggest you get saving...
Original post by ritchie888
... we're talking about whatever sorry excuse of a university you're talking about.

the University of London International Programmes are the degrees with which graduates from the New College of the Humanities will end up, and that after paying 54 grand (up front) in tuition. They're real degrees.
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Do you really think that doing another undergraduate degree, or even a postgraduate degree, will somehow 'redeem' you academically for getting a 2:2? I'm afraid it won't. You're better off going into work and proving yourself in the real world. Burying your head in the proverbial sand that is the education system will only increase your unemployability.

I'm not sure how most employers would feel, but I'd be apprehensive hiring someone who had two UG degrees and hardly any full time work experience that exceeds 5 months at the age of 24-25.

At this point I honestly feel like it's going to be a hindrance. If you want to go into engineering, just get a job somewhere that could get you transferred (eg, oil company) and work your way in that way. You have enough maths from a chemistry degree to do the basics of engineering jobs with some inexpensive training, I'd imagine.

no oil company will hire with 2:2 lol
Ha - your an undergraduate aren't you? Glad to know your keeping your finger on the pulse of what employers are looking for. And I see you have decided on a career in accounting - way to take a risk there bud.

I am not seeking academic redemption or my best possible career move advice - simply some info on cheap ways to study if you have any.

Thanks though.

Hold up there sonny, I was trying to help you. If you haven't noticed from your clearly extensive detective skills, I'm not exactly a moron when it comes to this and I've been worrying about my own employability for nigh on two years. Clearly you haven't, since you got a desmond.

Moreover, a career in the actuarial profession is nowhere close to accountancy. Accountancy is 1+5=6, with some percentages thrown in and the ability to smile and have a laugh with your clients. Now from your post, I actually feel as though you're proud of faffing about and getting a 2:2 in Chemistry. Yes, I know people like this, too. Actuarial work is much like what the 'nerds' who spent their evenings in the library and their days with their lecturers are doing, earning big money because they worked hard, weren't lazy, and most of all, took advice from people who clearly know what they're doing. MagicNMedicine for one.

I'd advise you to listen. I know quite a few people who decided to try and have a go at a maths degree to give them some more employability. You know where that's gotten them? Depressed, working in the evenings to support their second degree, and to what? Everyone I know who's doing a second undergrad is on a 2:2 or lower. This means they've worked part time in small jobs, with rubbish pay, only to get another undergraduate degree and another 2:2. So, they're now expected to have two 2:2 degrees and 6 years of ****, student life under their belt with little work experience and a lack of awareness of anything beyond academics (and even in academia they've clearly fallen short). That sound good? Well if it does, good luck.

I'm glad you manned up and realised this was your own doing, but going into another undergrad for pride's sake won't get you anyhwere. What I'm suggesting is that you take this feeling you have from under performing and get a job and work up that way. At least then, you have a chance to be miles ahead of the competition after 3 years. Doing a second undergrad is risky.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HugoDuchovny
no oil company will hire with 2:2 lol

Of course they do; several people on my course on track for 2:2s have had several job offers from large oil companies.
Reply 30
Having just flunked an exam I needed to score highly on to get a 2:1 I am now just waiting for confirmation of my 2:2 in chemistry.

Anyway I would like to get back some pride and save up for a bit and then go back to university at some point - but the £9000 fees are ridiculous so I am considering study abroad.

Any other suggestions that might be cheaper than I think? canada? switzerland?

Any help appreciated

I have A level A grades in Maths, Physics, Chem, and History have worked part time throughout my degree and am looking at doing an engineering degree.

How about a masters in chemical engineering?
(edited 11 years ago)
You don't even know you've got a 2.2 yet, or that you flunked this exam. I once convinced myself I'd messed up an exam, and spent ages preparing to do a retake in it. Results came out, I had 77%.
Reply 32
Well guys I'm back after my first decent sleep in a few days.

Thanks to everyone for their input - apologies to wanderlust for being a bit of dick.

I'm getting the impression a second undergraduate degree is probably not the best idea - and to be honest I've gone off the idea of moving to scotland in hindsight (lol).

I'm going to become gainfully employed ASAP and then start saving and thinking. If I want to do any more study it will most likely be a masters degree in chemical engineering.

I also did some tutoring during my degree and will look at volunteering in local schools - with a view to possible PGCE (£12000 golden hello ftw).

I also fancy learning a language - probably german.

danke schon one and all
Reply 33
You can buy BSc's online. Doesn't make them any more of a real degree.

Does a degree from Reading count as real?
Reply 34
He means a real degree.

The University of London programme they are referring to is the basis of the London Colleges like....UCL. University of London has always been an examining board first and foremost, and what they do is issue degrees to the colleges.

And yes, you can read a BA or BSc for something in the region of £4000 total.

You're not buying it. The syllabus and exams are from one of the colleges (eg LSE for Economics, Heythrop for Theology, RHUL for History), you sit those exams with thousands of other students, and if you pass your finals, you get a bona fide degree from LSE or wherever.

Not making it up. It's gospel.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
yeah but the thing is will major employers see it as so bona fide ?

You all know what they are like .
Original post by Txi
yeah but the thing is will major employers see it as so bona fide ?

You all know what they are like .

Yes, they will.

It is known as a hard, traditional, examination based degree.

However, for that reason, obtaining a 2:1 in it is by no means easy.
Reply 37
I think if anything this thread has shown two things:

1) Messing around or not trying at Uni may seem like a good idea at the time (who really wants to be friends with someone who does that studying thing?) but will turn out to be a terrible idea

2) Have some inclination of what you want to do afterwards.

The problem is perserverance. It is hard to keep going when other people are slacking, to save money when other people are buying their gadgets and clothes with their student loan, or to get the extra bottle to go and visit a senior lecturer/professor to ask questions or get to know them better.

Good luck to OP. Employment is probably the best option. And remember that - at least in my opinion - a degree in chemistry from a mid-range Uni puts you ahead of many graduates in less employable circumstances.
Reply 38
Original post by nulli tertius
Yes, they will.

It is known as a hard, traditional, examination based degree.

However, for that reason, obtaining a 2:1 in it is by no means easy.

Really ?

You think a FTSE 100 company will look at a 2.1 from a top 30 U in the same light as a UOL ex 2.1 ?
Reply 39
Original post by Txi
Really ?

You think a FTSE 100 company will look at a 2.1 from a top 30 U in the same light as a UOL ex 2.1 ?

A fair comparison would be between someone who got a 2:1 from LSE via the usual route and someone who got a 2:1 from LSE via UoL International.

Its not exactly equivalent, no, because the UoLI graduate won't have completed an undergraduate dissertation. Other than than the exams are identical. It's hard to say which they would find more impressive, it depends what they are looking for. A kid's gotta be pretty smart and motivated to get a 2:1 from LSE working entirely on his own without attending a single lecture or seminar, or even once communicating with a lecturer, surely?

Plus something like only 1 in 10 UoLI LSE graduates receive a 2:1 or higher, whereas something like 60% of straight LSE graduates do. Talk about standing out from the crowd.

Latest

Trending

Trending