The Student Room Group

Got myself a desmond. What's the cheapest way of doing a second undergraduate degree?

Having just flunked an exam I needed to score highly on to get a 2:1 I am now just waiting for confirmation of my 2:2 in chemistry.

I've had a tough year and only got it because my third cousin broke his finger and it hit me hard - or maybe I'm just a lazy ****. (Its the lazy **** thing).

Anyway I would like to get back some pride and save up for a bit and then go back to university at some point - but the £9000 fees are ridiculous so I am considering study abroad.

If I moved to scotland for a year or two would I qualify for scottish fees (~£1800a year)? This is my primary plan atm.

Is study in europe really free? If so is it hard to get places - and is learning the language essential or are there courses taught in english?

Any other suggestions that might be cheaper than I think? canada? switzerland?

Any help appreciated

I have A level A grades in Maths, Physics, Chem, and History have worked part time throughout my degree and am looking at doing an engineering degree.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you really think that doing another undergraduate degree, or even a postgraduate degree, will somehow 'redeem' you academically for getting a 2:2? I'm afraid it won't. You're better off going into work and proving yourself in the real world. Burying your head in the proverbial sand that is the education system will only increase your unemployability.

I'm not sure how most employers would feel, but I'd be apprehensive hiring someone who had two UG degrees and hardly any full time work experience that exceeds 5 months at the age of 24-25.

At this point I honestly feel like it's going to be a hindrance. If you want to go into engineering, just get a job somewhere that could get you transferred (eg, oil company) and work your way in that way. You have enough maths from a chemistry degree to do the basics of engineering jobs with some inexpensive training, I'd imagine.
I agree with wanderlust here, I'm not sure this is worth doing, but if you want it for personal pride then that's fair enough.

Well done for manning up and taking responsibility and not doing what lots of desmond students do which is blame the department or extenuating circumstances when the reality is they did no work all year and hoped to get a 2:1 from an all nighter fired by Red Bull before the exam.
Second bachelors are stupid.

Just do a masters if you can get onto one.
Reply 4
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Do you really think that doing another undergraduate degree, or even a postgraduate degree, will somehow 'redeem' you academically for getting a 2:2? I'm afraid it won't. You're better off going into work and proving yourself in the real world. Burying your head in the proverbial sand that is the education system will only increase your unemployability.

I'm not sure how most employers would feel, but I'd be apprehensive hiring someone who had two UG degrees and hardly any full time work experience that exceeds 5 months at the age of 24-25.

At this point I honestly feel like it's going to be a hindrance. If you want to go into engineering, just get a job somewhere that could get you transferred (eg, oil company) and work your way in that way. You have enough maths from a chemistry degree to do the basics of engineering jobs with some inexpensive training, I'd imagine.

Ha - your an undergraduate aren't you? Glad to know your keeping your finger on the pulse of what employers are looking for. And I see you have decided on a career in accounting - way to take a risk there bud.

I am not seeking academic redemption or my best possible career move advice - simply some info on cheap ways to study if you have any.

Thanks though.
Reply 5
Desmond :rofl:
Original post by hi-everybody
Ha - your an undergraduate aren't you? Glad to know your keeping your finger on the pulse of what employers are looking for. And I see you have decided on a career in accounting - way to take a risk there bud.

I am not seeking academic redemption or my best possible career move advice - simply some info on cheap ways to study if you have any.

Thanks though.

*You're
At least you didn't get a Douglas.
Reply 8
There's no such thing as a "cheap" way to get a second undergrad degree. Have you got 30 - 50k to spare?

You will not be entitled to any student funding (or, in the case of only a few exempt subjects, you can only get a maintenance loan at most).

If you are an EU citizen, then you pay the same fees as a citizen of that country. So if an EU country has no fees, you won't pay fees in that country. I'm not sure how this works for second degrees and you're still expected to pay for living costs.

The cheapest way is probably get a job and do one part time with the Open University.

I hope you're just joking about Cananda. Next you'll be saying the US...
Reply 9
Original post by River85
There's no such thing as a "cheap" way to get a second undergrad degree. Have you got 30 - 50k to spare?

You will not be entitled to any student funding (or, in the case of only a few exempt subjects, you can only get a maintenance loan at most).

If you are an EU citizen, then you pay the same fees as a citizen of that country. So if an EU country has no fees, you won't pay fees in that country. I'm not sure how this works for second degrees and you're still expected to pay for living costs.

The cheapest way is probably get a job and do one part time with the Open University.

I hope you're just joking about Cananda. Next you'll be saying the US...

Not that its what I'm advising, but a degree - BSc or BA - from University of London International costs about £4k in total.
Original post by py0alb
Not that its what I'm advising, but a degree - BSc or BA - from University of London International costs about £4k in total.

He means a real degree.
Reply 11
Original post by ritchie888
He means a real degree.

It is a real degree you dip****. What do you think BSc stands for?
Original post by py0alb
It is a real degree you dip****. What do you think BSc stands for?

You can buy BSc's online. Doesn't make them any more of a real degree.
Reply 13
You can buy BSc's online. Doesn't make them any more of a real degree.

So you think someone who graduates with a degree from the Open University etc doesn't really have a degree?
Reply 14
Original post by py0alb

Ah, yeah, forgot UoL (and for the second time this week). Is it really that, "cheap"? I seem to remember looking a few years ago and it cost 6 or 8k?

When I said 30k+, this is obviously for studying at "brick" universities, full time (so little opportunity to earn money) and with living costs and 6 - 10k tuition fees. Some form of distance learning, including OU and UoL, is the cheapest way he's likely to find.

He means a real degree.

Yes, University of London, that world famous mickey mouse university with its fake degrees.
Original post by py0alb
So you think someone who graduates with a degree from the Open University etc doesn't really have a degree?

We're not talking about the Open University, we're talking about whatever sorry excuse of a university you're talking about.

When I said 'buy degrees online' I meant something like this:

http://www.buydegree.org/

"100% Legally issued university degree" - How can I lose!
Reply 16
Do it part time.
Reply 17
We're not talking about the Open University, we're talking about whatever sorry excuse of a university you're talking about.

When I said 'buy degrees online' I meant something like this:

http://www.buydegree.org/

"100% Legally issued university degree" - How can I lose!

Ah yes, the University of London. What a sorry excuse for a university that is, one of its principal constituents is only ranked 2nd in the country ahead of Oxford.
Reply 18

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_london

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_London_International_Programmes
Reply 19
I would recommend doing a Masters degree abroad. A majority of European countries have free Masters degree courses in the English language.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending