Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shopkeeper/locksmith tired to make me feel guilt ridden.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I went to this multipurpose shop where the shopkeeper is also a locksmith. I asked him to duplicate 4 sets of keys which he did, and once I returned home, only 1 of the keys worked. I went to the shop 4 times to get him to make the keys work but to no avail, and I had to wait almost half an hour for him to do the job. Once, I had to actually climb up my own house gates because the keys wont even work. So for the last visit to the shop, I brought with me my locks so that he could see what's going on and still he couldn't make the correct duplicates. He said to leave the locks and the keys so that he could contact the supplier and he would give me a spare lock but I can't do that since the house would need to be locked during the night and the rest of the family would want to get in as well since they have the working keys.

Since we can't come to an agreement, he refunded me but with a sappy sad disappointed face. He said he can't refund me but in this case he would; ironically, on his register, there's a huge sign that says; "goods are returnable within 7 days". Since I do feel a bit sorry for him, I said; "I'm sorry for the trouble", and hoping he would say; "Nah, it's not your fault...<something>", but he didn't :eek: It is as if it's really my fault now! I was quite irritated and went to another locksmith and within minutes, the new locksmith made my keys and it works just perfectly!

I felt with the previous locksmith. I could have caused myself serious injurious if I slip when I climbed the gates or just stood outside the house for hours because the keys won't work. At least a simple "sorry" would do the work; now it's as if my fault that things didn't work out.

/rant =/
    Has anyone experienced this? ; shopkeeper tried to make you feel guilt ridden when you want to return something?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I've never felt guilty about returning something. It is your absolute right to do that if the goods are not of satisfactory quality.

Why on earth would you feel guilty about exercising a legal right?

What does he mean when he says he 'can't refund you'? He is in breach of contract (he's breached a condition implied into any contract you made, per S.14(2) of the SoGA 1979) and you are legally entitled to a refund.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Well I went to this multipurpose shop where the shopkeeper is also a locksmith. I asked him to duplicate 4 sets of keys which he did, and once I returned home, only 1 of the keys worked. I went to the shop 4 times to get him to make the keys work but to no avail, and I had to wait almost half an hour for him to do the job. Once, I had to actually climb up my own house gates because the keys wont even work. So for the last visit to the shop, I brought with me my locks so that he could see what's going on and still he couldn't make the correct duplicates. He said to leave the locks and the keys so that he could contact the supplier and he would give me a spare lock but I can't do that since the house would need to be locked during the night and the rest of the family would want to get in as well since they have the working keys.

Since we can't come to an agreement, he refunded me but with a sappy sad disappointed face. He said he can't refund me but in this case he would; ironically, on his register, there's a huge sign that says; "goods are returnable within 7 days". Since I do feel a bit sorry for him, I said; "I'm sorry for the trouble", and hoping he would say; "Nah, it's not your fault...<something>", but he didn't :eek: It is as if it's really my fault now! I was quite irritated and went to another locksmith and within minutes, the new locksmith made my keys and it works just perfectly!

I felt with the previous locksmith. I could have cause myself serious injurious if I slip when I climbed the gates or just stood outside the house for hours because the keys won't work. At least a simple "sorry" would do the work; now it's as if my fault that things didn't work out.

/rant =/
    Has anyone experienced this? ; shopkeeper tried to make you feel guilt ridden when you want to return something?
    QFR
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    No, I've never felt guilty about returning something. It is your absolute right to do that if the goods are not of satisfactory quality.

Why on earth would you feel guilty about exercising a legal right?

What does he mean when he says he 'can't refund you'? He is in breach of contract (he's breached a condition implied into any contract you made, per S.14(2) of the SoGA 1979) and you are legally entitled to a refund.
    Yes, I'm fully aware that it's within my rights to return the goods as it's not usable. But the thing is, the shopkeeper/locksmith made me feel crappy by returning the goods as if I'm not 'cooperating' - as I mentioned why before, or just something he's displeased with - which I don't know what.

Well I don't know - he stated clearly that he couldn't refund me; I'm assuming giving back my money. But again, as I said, ironically, on his register, there's a sign that 'goods a returnable within 7 days'. I could argue with him on the signage but I would think he'll use some other rebuttal/excuses and says something along the lines; "only certain goods are returnable".

• 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Yes, I'm fully aware that it's within my rights to return the goods as it's not usable. But the thing is, the shopkeeper/locksmith made me feel crappy by returning the goods as if I'm not 'cooperating' - as I mentioned why before, or just something he's displeased with - which I don't know what.

Well I don't know - he stated clearly that he couldn't refund me; I'm assuming giving back my money. But again, as I said, ironically, on his register, there's a sign that 'goods a returnable within 7 days'. I could argue with him on the signage but I would think he'll use some other rebuttal/excuses and says something along the lines; "only certain goods are returnable".

He can't just make up the law to suit himself.

I'm still not sure why you would feel guilty, though - you're perfectly within your rights to return them. I don't see any reason to feel sorry for him.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He can't just make up the law to suit himself.

I'm still not sure why you would feel guilty, though - you're perfectly within your rights to return them. I don't see any reason to feel sorry for him.
    I don't know if the law is different for this but to be fair, a service is not the same as goods. It's not like he could get his time and effort back from you to re-sell.

He's still in the wrong of course, but I'm just saying.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henwin)
    I don't know if the law is different for this but to be fair, a service is not the same as goods. It's not like he could get his time and effort back from you to re-sell.

He's still in the wrong of course, but I'm just saying.
    Eh? I'm not sure what point you're making.

The fact of the matter is that the seller provided keys that were not of satisfactory quality. He has no right to be 'sad' or anything of the sort when a customer returns and wants to get his money back. He should've done his job properly in the first instance.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eh? I'm not sure what point you're making.

The fact of the matter is that the seller provided keys that were not of satisfactory quality. He has no right to be 'sad' or anything of the sort when a customer returns and wants to get his money back. He should've done his job properly in the first instance.
    Yeah; he's not providing a service I think. He's providing a product and the product was defective, therefore by right, I can get my money back.

Even with a service, I still can ask for a refund if I'm not happy with it can't I?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Uncooperative locksmiths.

Truly the bane of modern society.
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't sweat that sad-faced look. He'll get over it when he burgles your house.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Yeah; he's not providing a service I think. He's providing a product and the product was defective, therefore by right, I can get my money back.

Even with a service, I still can ask for a refund if I'm not happy with it can't I?
    Of course you can, goods and services must be provided that adequately meet the use claimed for them. In the case of keys, that would be the ability to open the lock in question. If the vendor refuses to fix them to make them work and refused a refund, you would have a valid Small Claim against them for the amount paid plus an element of compensation for your time and trouble.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    He made goods that weren't fit for purpose, and so he has to give the money back.

Probably the source of the problem was that he was trying to make a copy from a copy. Do you have any original keys that you could take to a different locksmith?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The woman at the deli tried to give me corned beef instead of roast beef in my baguette last week. She said that I had an attitude problem for asking her to make another one. Unbelieveable.

I mean, ROAST beef just isn't the same as CORNED beef. Ew.

Worst. Day. Ever.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Probably the source of the problem was that he was trying to make a copy from a copy. Do you have any original keys that you could take to a different locksmith?
    Yeah, he said the same thing; he said something about making a copy from a copy that might make it difficult to produce another copy; ironically though, when I sent it to a new locksmith, it didn't take the new locksmith more than 5mins to do the work. The new locksmith even had a tiny moment of achievement like this: :proud: when I tried the keys on the locks and it opened swiftly lol.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronica)
    The woman at the deli tried to give me corned beef instead of roast beef in my baguette last week. She said that I had an attitude problem for asking her to make another one. Unbelieveable.
    What attitude problem!? :confused: I think she's the one with the attitude problem lol.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably time to torch the place then.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is just someone trying to make easy money out of doing a half-arsed job. You need to put your foot down in that sort of situation - you had no reason to apologise, he shouldve been ashamed of himself at what a poor service he'd given.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.