Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everything on a garage.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question is primarily for those who have a garage or barn at home and do a lot of work on the cars.

What type of surface do you have?

Am trying to build a garage and wondering what kind of surface is best?

Previous barns I just loaded it up with a bunch of pebbles but those pebbles are rather expensive here in Switzerland.

Thinking of using something other than reinforced concrete as it is rather ugly grey

Thinking of using slate or ceramic tiles, wondering which would be less susceptible to motor oil stains etc.....since spills are bound to happen.

Thinking of doing some restoration work in there.

Any times on building one?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't write off concrete completely, acid stain or epoxy coating, or even concrete paint, can completely alter the appearance and it's probably the best floor (depending on what you want to do). There are also companies that produce plastic floor tiles (Race Deck or similar) but they're not cheap. My big worry with ceramic tiles would be that unless they are laid perfectly (no voids below them, which you can't check as it depends on the flow of the adhesive) then as soon as you try and jack on them or put something heavy on them they'll crack. Drop a hammer or something similar on them and you might get chips as well, and slate would probably be even worse.

If you want lots of views on different coatings (bordering on the obsessive) take a look at Garage Journal.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Concrete and painted with epoxy. The car then sits on a foam mat to keep oils and stuff off the paint, although it would just wipe off if needed but easier to keep it contained in a foam mat that absorbs it!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Painted concrete covered in cheap n cheerful carpet tiles.
    When you drop oil and other crap on carpet tiles you can just replace them. They are only a pound or so each!
    Doesn't matter what colour they are either as they'll soon be changed!

Nice to lay on too!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    brick road,same as on driveway and around sides of house :teeth:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Plasticine
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Solid concrete in the garage
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Painted concrete covered in cheap n cheerful carpet tiles.
    When you drop oil and other crap on carpet tiles you can just replace them. They are only a pound or so each!
    Doesn't matter what colour they are either as they'll soon be changed!

Nice to lay on too!
    Carpet? Won't that get all wet when you drive the car in after a drive in the rain? How do you tolerate that damp carpet smell?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herr)
    Thinking of using something other than reinforced concrete as it is rather ugly grey
    My garage has a floor of textured concrete painted bright red. I have no idea why, it was like that when I moved in, but I rather like it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Concrete
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Concrete
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get industrial rubber flooring... It's resistant to oils and acids and won't be quite so noisy when you drop a spanner on it... But really just concrete it and paint it bright red with concrete floor paint.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Don't write off concrete completely, acid stain or epoxy coating, or even concrete paint, can completely alter the appearance and it's probably the best floor (depending on what you want to do). There are also companies that produce plastic floor tiles (Race Deck or similar) but they're not cheap. My big worry with ceramic tiles would be that unless they are laid perfectly (no voids below them, which you can't check as it depends on the flow of the adhesive) then as soon as you try and jack on them or put something heavy on them they'll crack. Drop a hammer or something similar on them and you might get chips as well, and slate would probably be even worse.

If you want lots of views on different coatings (bordering on the obsessive) take a look at Garage Journal.
    I took a look at those Race Deck stuff, there isn't a ready stockist for it anywhere in Switzerland and it seems like a special order product that will cost around £40psf after taking into account freight charges, for £25psm I could use products from this UK company called EcoTile whose products are well known for industrial applications all over Europe and my own factory which is an air-tight and dust-free environment uses it under reinforced concrete. The only thing is their heavy duty stuff still looks like concrete

That Garage Journal site has some big time followers though it becomes LOL worthy when someone starts saying Craftsman tools are better than SnapOns just because one has a lifetime warranty from Sears.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I work outside in the rain
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another option might be to look at the high density foam tiles you can get - often sold for exercise mats. They're not particularly expensive and they're obviously not as durable as other options, but might be worth looking at for 'work' areas such as round a bench rather than 'car' areas. Should be nicely insulating too - concrete can get really cold!
    Yeah Garage Journal has some useful info but there are people there who are really a bit too obsessed by their garages..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another option might be to look at the high density foam tiles you can get - often sold for exercise mats. They're not particularly expensive and they're obviously not as durable as other options, but might be worth looking at for 'work' areas such as round a bench rather than 'car' areas. Should be nicely insulating too - concrete can get really cold!
    Yeah Garage Journal has some useful info but there are people there who are really a bit too obsessed by their garages..
    I think that is what we use Good stuff...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Concrete painted with 'garage floor paint' in the garage - gives a decent looking finish, no dust, durable, etc

Unsealed concrete in the barn. It would take forever to paint/seal 4000 sq/ft and it would get destroyed by various heavy equipment within a month.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rough concrete floor and concrete block walls for a double wide garage (about 2.5 cars wide and 1.5 cars deep, so you can sort of work on two cars inside). We're hoping to get the floor two part epoxied, either white wash walls or a white tiles/white wash. White wash the pit, decent lighting and a white ceiling. With constantly breaking cars to service/modify/restore we have big plans
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Rough concrete floor and concrete block walls for a double wide garage (about 2.5 cars wide and 1.5 cars deep, so you can sort of work on two cars inside). We're hoping to get the floor two part epoxied, either white wash walls or a white tiles/white wash. White wash the pit, decent lighting and a white ceiling. With constantly breaking cars to service/modify/restore we have big plans
    That's a good size for a garage. "white wash the pit" You have a garage pit?? How deep is it?

By the way do you know what was the specification for the concrete floor? As in what was mixed together and the type of steel reinforcements are in it?

We haven't quite decided what materials to use for the walls yet, thinking of using prefab corrugated steel with fibre insulation but will have to wait till the local authority gives their approval.

(Original post by gbduo)
    I think that is what we use Good stuff...
    Where do you get those stuff from?

Well it is somewhat within the American culture where the middle age blokes start obsessing about the garage and their big pickup trucks Midlife crisis you see Anyway they do tend to use their garages quite a lot, though usually it is to store worthless junk

Any source for those HD foam tiles? I haven't seen those sold anywhere around here. The types I've seen most of it are meant for usage in a nursery or children play area, I doubt they would survive the weight of a car especially if jack stands are to be used on them.

(Original post by Joinedup)
    You can get industrial rubber flooring... It's resistant to oils and acids and won't be quite so noisy when you drop a spanner on it.
    Interesting idea, might look into it as well.

(Original post by DaveDavids)
    concrete with a very thin layer of fabric that the car is stationary on.

Also half way in the garage there is old carpet positioned on the wall either side, thus when opening car doors there is no concern for hitting the wall :-)
    An interesting idea regarding carpet on the wall. Never quite thought of that part to it.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also on a separate note, anyone got any tool storage and "junk" storage solutions to share?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 15, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.