The Student Room Group

Passing Science A levels

I'm going to be studying the 3 Sciences in September, and after having done quite badly on my previous attempt, I'd like to do a sit rep and hopefully do it right this time.

I'm the perennial procrastinator when it comes to studying, in fact I've never really done what you would call hard revision. I passed my GCSE's well with nearly no effort. In fact scratch that, no effort.

This is not a brag thread as had I been a little less naturally apt I'd have probably passed my A levels now, as I would have been used to working to achieve results. When I started college I wasn't used to studying hard and even didn't believe too much was necessary, and like so many others, was completely unprepared for the stringency of the exam papers. I don't find the course material itself so hard, but it's clear I need to master exam technique and familiarize myself with some of the mark scheme layouts.

I'm not asking for anyone to babysit me and I'm under no illusions regarding the difficulty of the courses I'm undertaking. I suppose my question is aimed at those who took the same A levels as I am doing, and passed. What sort of revision schedule did you keep? How did you motivate yourselves? Study timetable ideas and links would be gratefully accepted. I am not a very organised person by nature so it would be good to get a few pointers.

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Peace
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm like you dude. Passed my GCSEs (7As-A*) with-out any revision.
When it came to my AS exams i got an DDEE (biology, physics, chemistry and maths).
I'm in A2 now and had to re-do every exam i did in AS and am hoping to be getting at least 4 grades higher then my AS exams.
There is no secret formula, all i can say is start revising 3 months early. Familiarize yourself with the type of exam questions that come up (they normally repeat them every 4 years).
Finally don't mess up a second time, i know a person who decided to re-sit the year and managed to improve results in only one subject and that was only by a grade.
Good luck dude
Same same here..its that after GCSE's we feel we can do the same in A level..but A level is so different and requires more revision within little time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending