Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S.M.A.R.T. Bad

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got a message when starting my PC today that my HDs is 'bad'. The S.M.A.R.T. data is here - would anyone like to say how bad it looks? It says there is 1 of a particular failure and the threshold is 51, so I don't know whether to just ignore it (while making sure I've got a good backup) or if I'm living on borrowed time. I must admit I'm a bit annoyed about it as the machine it's in hasn't seen that much use since I installed the disk!

If it does look like it's about to die, I need to figure out what to replace it with. I'm currently trying to sort out a server (HP Micro server thing) to store all my data on, so the intention is that the PC will only need OS and programs stored locally. With that in mind, would I be better off looking at an SSD or a VelociRaptor (if they're still the fastest HDs around, I've not been keeping that up to date to be honest). Ideally it will be the only HD in the computer, with everything else coming from the server.
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Got a message when starting my PC today that my HDs is 'bad'. The S.M.A.R.T. data is here - would anyone like to say how bad it looks? It says there is 1 of a particular failure and the threshold is 51, so I don't know whether to just ignore it (while making sure I've got a good backup) or if I'm living on borrowed time. I must admit I'm a bit annoyed about it as the machine it's in hasn't seen that much use since I installed the disk!

If it does look like it's about to die, I need to figure out what to replace it with. I'm currently trying to sort out a server (HP Micro server thing) to store all my data on, so the intention is that the PC will only need OS and programs stored locally. With that in mind, would I be better off looking at an SSD or a VelociRaptor (if they're still the fastest HDs around, I've not been keeping that up to date to be honest). Ideally it will be the only HD in the computer, with everything else coming from the server.
    Your hard drive is poorly. I'd recommend a replace to be honest - there are a lot of indicators of failure on it; you'll probably start seeing signs of lower performance as it looks like the drive has already started remapping bad sectors.

I'd go SSD if you're looking for a fast OS drive.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Vlad, I had a feeling that would be the case
    Might be time to move up the rebuild/upgrade plan - not ideal timing as I lost my job last month!
    Alternatively I might just chuck a cheap HD in for the time being if this one fails. It's a 1TB disk but most of the data on there is recorded TV so no great loss if I lose it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.