The Student Room Group

Chemistry HL, P1, P2, TZ2 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
who did section B pka question? ammonia solution
for first pH i got 9. something, second one i did pH=pKa=11. something
Mentioned it in earlier post, I think it should be 11. Something for ammonia and exactly 9.25 for buffer because 14 - pka value which is 4.75 I think
Reply 82
Original post by arthurhoe123
I found the carbon dating ridiculous.... Apparently not many people got it other than the people who took physics. That's not chemistry! Also did anyone did the acid and base option in section B? I got ph of 11. Something and buffer ph of 9.25 I think 14-4.75

yes yesyes!!!! we r right
Reply 83
its 11.5 guys if u round it off!
Reply 84
and yep buffer is 9.25! NH4OH was exactly equal to NH4+ ion conc coz half of the NH4OH reacted with HNO3!
Original post by MAMDS1993
and yep buffer is 9.25! NH4OH was exactly equal to NH4+ ion conc coz half of the NH4OH reacted with HNO3!

hey mamds, what did you get for a question asking for the reflux reaction with naoh as well i think, i got carboxylic acid formed. The question is in paper 1
if there are two bonding pair and 2 pair of lone like water it is sp3 hence a tetrahedral shape - 109degree the two lone pair will pull down a little hence angle is 105 degree but remember because of lone pair it should be sp3 due to four regions

If it was H2O like 2 bonding pairs and 2 lone pairs then its definitely sp3! Remember the orbitals in which the lone pairs are also combine to form new orbitals!

Reply 87
hey mamds, what did you get for a question asking for the reflux reaction with naoh as well i think, i got carboxylic acid formed. The question is in paper 1

Yeah yeah it was carboxylic acid coz it was heated under reflux!! Yepp absolutely right!
Original post by Wob
I thought the pKa of the molecule was like 2.17 so the pkb was 11.83.

But it asked for the pkb of the conjugate base so I answered with the table with the 2.17 pkb.

I'm probably wrong though cause there were 3 11.83 options and only 1 2.17 and it's never the single one :tongue:

There wasn't an amine group, but there were 2 amide groups which also validated my choice of carboxylic acid and amide.

Who knows though... who knows...

Heey i made the same mistake dw. I put the 2.17 cos it was the only one i thought had the right functional groups. But after coming out i learnt. my mistake. My friend had a theory that the molecule didnt actually have amide groups but had N-substituted amide groups, so thats why amide wasnt one of the groups...

And think of pKa as the relative tendency for the molecule to lose a proton, the lower it is the more likely it will lose it. And pKb is the tendency of a molecule to accept a proton, the lower it is, the more likely it is to accept it. If the pKa of the original acid is low then its likelihood to lose a proton is very high so the tendency for the conjugate base to accept a proton must be very low. Therefore the pKb has to be high...
Reply 89
Pka (of acid) + Pkb(of its conjugate base) = 14!
Reply 90
Hiii!

Does anyone remember the answer to the question on P1 about the electroplating?

I think it was 1 gram of Silver plated in one cell and then one was supposed to choose the alternative that represented how much was deposited on the other cell with Copper sulfate?

I chose (1/107) * (63/2) or something like that? I think its wrong though...
Reply 91
Original post by JB1326
Hiii!

Does anyone remember the answer to the question on P1 about the electroplating?

I think it was 1 gram of Silver plated in one cell and then one was supposed to choose the alternative that represented how much was deposited on the other cell with Copper sulfate?

I chose (1/107) * (63/2) or something like that? I think its wrong though...

Yes, you were right the answer was C, the reason was that the oxidation number of silver was +1 where as in copper it was +2, there fore you get half the amount of coper because you need twice as much of electrons to produce the same mass of copper - if that makes sense.
Reply 92
Original post by momentalus
Yes, you were right the answer was C, the reason was that the oxidation number of silver was +1 where as in copper it was +2, there fore you get half the amount of coper because you need twice as much of electrons to produce the same mass of copper - if that makes sense.

Thanks! It sure was an educated guess..

I can put it of my mind now, been bugging me since this morning!

Cheers
Reply 93
Yeah ur right coz 1/107 moles of electrons = x grams
2 moles of electrons= 63.55 grams

so mass of copper = x = 63.55 x 1/107 x 1/2 = C!
Reply 94
The chem boundary won't be much below 80 if anything I think it will be over because the paper 2 was slightly easier then last yr's paper 2 and last yr's boundary for TZ2 was 81 and 70-90 for paper 2! Since paper 2 is more weighty it should be about 82-83!
Reply 95
what do you mean 82-83? points or percent?
Reply 96
did anyone do the section b question about conducting/not conducting? did you also write that one of them didn't conduct because it was molecular covalent and thus had no ions to transport charge and the opposite argument for the other?
Reply 97
The chem boundary won't be much below 80 if anything I think it will be over because the paper 2 was slightly easier then last yr's paper 2 and last yr's boundary for TZ2 was 81 and 70-90 for paper 2! Since paper 2 is more weighty it should be about 82-83!

what do you mean 82-83? points or percent?
Reply 98
Percent! For paper 2 it will probably revolve around the 70-72 mark out of 90!
Reply 99
Original post by jennyo1993
did anyone do the section b question about conducting/not conducting? did you also write that one of them didn't conduct because it was molecular covalent and thus had no ions to transport charge and the opposite argument for the other?

YES :smile:! Al2Cl6 is covalent Al2O3 is ionic!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending