Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Resident Evil series and Racoon City

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I loved the original Resident Evil as well as Code Name: Veronica, but despite having been released a few months ago, I've heard minimal hype surrounding the latest in the series: Operation Raccoon City.

So it's being marketed as a return to the fear factor that originally popularised the series, whilst retaining the faster action pace that differiated recent RE games from the earlier ones.

For me, RE lost its way when they tried to compete with other action games. RE was always about survival and managing resources and that's what I loved about it. Slow pace doesn't necessarily equal boring.

Has anyone played the recent addition? It has some really shockingly bad reviews.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I stayed away from Racoon City, but I'm quite looking forward to Leon's sections in upcoming RE6. In the meantime I prefer the Dead Space series, imo they seem to be closer to the direction Resident Evil should have gone in after 4.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really interested in Racoon City, looks like they made the game into a generic TPS and the amount of on disc DLC laden into the game must be crazy. Capcom also stated recently that they're moving towards a more action focused games for the RE series now. They are quite an awful company in my opinion.

Your right RE was always about resource management. You must have played the originals where you're running out of shotgun ammo and the mansion/police station is totally overrun by monsters and you've got one green herb left! The older games had such a fantastic atmosphere, not saying that RE4 was a bad inclusion into the main series because its one of my favourite games of all time. Just RE5 went too far in the same direction, also co-op is good and all but it takes away the element of fear altogther.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Operation Raccoon City has NOT been marketed as a return to fear. That was Resident Evil: Revelations for the 3DS.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw it being discounted before release on steam, never a good sign.

I'm personally staying away until the release fog clears and we get a clear response on the final version.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    I saw it being discounted before release on steam, never a good sign.
    Actually a lot of games on Steam have preorder discounts, it is a recent trend but does not mean they expect the game to tank. The discount will be gone once the game releases, so it's there as an incentive for you to preorder rather than including ingame preorder exclusive DLC which I absolutely hate.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite series. Like most fans, I prefer the earlier work. But I really want to play the demo to see if it's as bad as critics are saying.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    The early days of survival horror have disappeared for Resident Evil, Capcom have sold out to attract a new breed of action gamer.
    R.I.P Childhood aka RE 1, 2, 3.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I preferred 1,2,3 so I highly doubt I'll play the latest.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 17, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.