The Student Room Group

Liverpool fans disrespect national anthem at Wembley

Surprised that this has not got more coverage.

Disgraceful behaviour from the Liverpool fans.

What kind of idiotic fan boos their own national anthem?

Typical arrogant Scousers (and plastic Liverpool fans who copy the Scousers)

Maybe we should play the Norwegian anthem for them next time.

Might be more relevant to their fanbase :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also how disrespectful is Jose Enrique doing warm-ups during the national anthem :angry:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh, those naughty scousers.
It's part of the 'Scouse not English'

I'm a Liverpool fan myself. Don't really see a big problem... If you hold that mentality then so be it :tongue:

I don't, for the record, but ofc I do not live in Liverpool :tongue:
Reply 3
Few points here

1. GSTQ is a terrible anthem, there are plently of better alternatives

2. GSTQ is not the official anthem of the UK (we don't have one)

3. Liverpool is not a royalist stronghold and dislikes the London centric government (with very good reason - Google "Liverpool managed decline")

4. We never used to have to piss around singing anthems at the FA cup afaik, this is a Yank import

5. Chelsea fans booed the silence at the Hillsborough memorial
Reply 4
Original post by TRS-T
Maybe we should play the Norwegian anthem for them next time.

Might be more relevant to their fanbase :rolleyes:

Nahh, try the Welsh or Irish anthem? :wink: Or even the English one Jerusalem (which is an amazing anthem btw)...

...or maybe you will never walk alone
Reply 5
Original post by Organ
Few points here

1. GSTQ is a terrible anthem, there are plently of better alternatives

2. GSTQ is not the official anthem of the UK (we don't have one)

3. Liverpool is not a royalist stronghold and dislikes the London centric government (with very good reason - Google "Liverpool managed decline")

4. We never used to have to piss around singing anthems at the FA cup afaik, this is a Yank import

Basically what this person said. I would have preffered it had they just sang YNWA through it as opposed to booing but the sentiment is pretty much the same.

Why should I sing about a God I don't believe in trying to save a Queen I don't care about from a gang of Scots who aren't threatening her :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by Mess.

Why should I sing about a God I don't believe in trying to save a Queen I don't care about from a gang of Scots who aren't threatening her :dontknow:

^^^
Reply 7
Good on them for actually thinking about it rather than just bleating along.
Reply 8
To be fair, the song is a **** national anthem unless your a hardcore monarchist and deeply religious. When you take into account the normal political postion of Liverpool supporters, it's not really surprising.
Reply 9
Original post by Mess.

Right off the Anfield Wrap :awesome:
This is why I'm glad Wales have an awesome national anthem :awesome:
Reply 11
Original post by kuks
Right off the Anfield Wrap :awesome:

Suprisingly I have said it before but I loved that it was brought up on the podcast :mmm:
Reply 12
Original post by madders94
This is why I'm glad Wales have an awesome national anthem :awesome:

Yes it's good.

The English one is good as well, I have no idea why they keep playing that awful GSTQ

Reply 13
Original post by Organ

GSTQ is not the official anthem of the UK (we don't have one)

Yes it is.
Reply 14
Original post by JamesPointing

I'm a Liverpool fan myself.

I do not live in Liverpool :tongue:

Why am I not surprised :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by Mess.

It's called having respect.

You don't have to sing it if you don't want too.

But booing it is very disrespectful to our country.
Reply 16
Original post by TRS-T
Yes it is.

It is the de facto anthem of the United Kingdom, as well as being the anthem of the commonwealth of nations. It is absolutely not the anthem of Scotland, England or Wales (none of whom either have official national anthems). No law has ever been passed making God Save the Queen the official anthem unlike in most other countries. It is just de facto tradition really. I personally think it is an awful anthem.
Reply 17
Original post by Organ

5. Chelsea fans booed the silence at the Hillsborough memorial

Thus Liverpool fans should boo the national anthem. Ah of course, obviously that makes total sense.
There were probably more scousers there in 2009 when Everton were in the final and it never got booed.

I wouldn't sing the song myself but to actively boo it is a bit different. I'm far from a fan of the monarchy but that wasn't the reason Liverpool fans booed it. The anthem has more to it than just the queen. They're a football club, not a political movement. Imagine the uproar if it was a group of Muslims who booed the anthem and not Liverpool fans.

Having said all that Chelsea fans were worse in the semi.
Reply 19
Original post by arebours
Thus Liverpool fans should boo the national anthem. Ah of course, obviously that makes total sense.

A section of England fans used to boo the English anthem all the time a few years back. We are kind of stuck with the Royal family because those who want rid of them are branded unpatriotic, also the royal family is worth money in tourism (I doubt if Liverpool benefits much from Royalty tourism and just when you think the Royals are finally on the way out, they recruit some hot totty, there's a wedding and the whole soap opera goes on for another ten years) or so we're told. However there is a very large cohort of English people who resent the soap opera and bolloxology that revolves around the Royal Family, a lot of these live in Liverpool - a city that has been treated terribly by Westminster in the last few decades and all the royal family arse lickers who live in South East England.

GSTQ It's an ode to our subjectation. I'd happily sing jerusalem or the red flag, but that dirge? **** off.

Latest