The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
Is he a Liverpool fan from Liverpool though? Otherwise the ethos and reasoning is lost on him in this instance.

Tbf he isn't. Tbh, I hate the national anthem. Hate the monarchy, not religious either. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna boo it when it's played. We know that we shouldn't boo it as it's a sign of respect. Should have just rejected singing the song or sing YNWA instead.

Don't see too much difference between that and hillsborough silence thing that chelsea did. Sure what chelsea did is worse, but well we really don't care about hillsborough, it doesn't affect us as no chelsea fans died, same way the heysel disaster didn't affect you guys as no liverpool fans died.

You don't do a minutes silence on the heysel disaster, yet it messed up england's going into europe for 5 years and was a direct result of you guys. Why should you impose the silence on us, when they can't even impose a minutes silence on you guys?

Also, if it's a case of justice not being served in hillsborough, well justice was served on world war 1 and 2, the war criminals were all trialed and they still get a minutes silence, get a minutes silence on all tragedies, not just the ones that favour one club.
(edited 11 years ago)
It's a pointlessly imported, Americanised tradition.

Plus it's a **** song.

Also I'm an anti-royalist.

But for them? Well...

If people from Liverpool feel marginalised by decades of London-led privatisation, losing jobs and, of course, that Hillsborough was never respected for what it is and the inquiry it deserved never came about, then I'd say that booing at the anthem is a fair and proportionate protest in response.
Reply 142
Original post by Twixwrapper
so your attendances cant be much to shout about either.

We sell out pretty much 90% of our home games. Everton don't.

And the 'hard to get tickets' is a myth perutated by reds who can't be ****ed going the game but want an easy excuse.
Reply 143
Original post by jam277

You don't do a minutes silence on the heysel disaster, yet it messed up england's going into europe for 5 years and was a direct result of you guys. Why should you impose the silence on us, when they can't even impose a minutes silence on you guys?

We didn't ****ing impose the silence on you, you bellend.

The FA did.

No LFC fan i know wants a minutes silence at any game other than the nearest home game to the anniversary.

And don't try and paint Chelsea fans as some moral crusaders. Your the only team bar United to sing about Hillsborough en-masse.
Original post by jam277

Also, if it's a case of justice not being served in hillsborough, well justice was served on world war 1 and 2, the war criminals were all trialed and they still get a minutes silence, get a minutes silence on all tragedies, not just the ones that favour one club.

What a load of ****ing tosh.

It's about remembering the dead. Nothing to do with Justice.
Reply 144
Original post by bluenose14
Why are you just randomly making stuff up? Done a survey have we?

Original post by Organ
A section of England fans used to boo the English anthem all the time a few years back. We are kind of stuck with the Royal family because those who want rid of them are branded unpatriotic, also the royal family is worth money in tourism (I doubt if Liverpool benefits much from Royalty tourism and just when you think the Royals are finally on the way out, they recruit some hot totty, there's a wedding and the whole soap opera goes on for another ten years) or so we're told. However there is a very large cohort of English people who resent the soap opera and bolloxology that revolves around the Royal Family, a lot of these live in Liverpool - a city that has been treated terribly by Westminster in the last few decades and all the royal family arse lickers who live in South East England.

GSTQ It's an ode to our subjectation. I'd happily sing jerusalem or the red flag, but that dirge? **** off.

Wow Wow Wow...

Kate Middleton is not hot.
The Sex Pistols' version would be better I think.
Original post by TRS-T
x

OP is an Aston Villa fan who is mad haha

Make sure you learn more about the history of Liverpool FC before you generalise all their fans.

18 league titles.

Shh no tears, only dreams now
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 148
Original post by vedderfan94
OP is an Aston Villa fan who is mad haha

Make sure you learn more about the history of Liverpool FC before you generalise all their fans.

18 league titles.

Shh no tears, only dreams now

Mate you aint from Liverpool.
Original post by TRS-T
Mate you aint from Liverpool.

Your tears are delicious.
Original post by L18
We didn't ****ing impose the silence on you, you bellend.

The FA did.

No LFC fan i know wants a minutes silence at any game other than the nearest home game to the anniversary.

And don't try and paint Chelsea fans as some moral crusaders. Your the only team bar United to sing about Hillsborough en-masse.

What a load of ****ing tosh.

It's about remembering the dead. Nothing to do with Justice.

Well done, because it's about remembering the dead, why don't you remember the dead for heysel then? Was just waiting for someone to say that.
Original post by Mess.
Basically what this person said. I would have preffered it had they just sang YNWA through it as opposed to booing but the sentiment is pretty much the same.

Why should I sing about a God I don't believe in trying to save a Queen I don't care about from a gang of Scots who aren't threatening her :dontknow:

Why is it so hard to be respectful though. I don't mind footballing banter but to boo a national anthem is just stupid. Liverpool have a rich history in the FA cup why belittle the occasion just cause you don't believe it is held in the right way.

If I went to anfield I would be respectful as you did your pre match stuff but in the match I would chant and do all the banter just show some respect to your opponent and competition.
Reply 152
Our national anthem is embarrassing, it sounds like something from North Korea.

#God save our Glorious Leader, long live our Glorious Leader, for our Dear Leader is better than all of us and our land#

Land of Hope and Glory, please.
Reply 153
Original post by jam277
Well done, because it's about remembering the dead, why don't you remember the dead for heysel then? Was just waiting for someone to say that.

I don't get what your getting at? We do remember the dead, which is why we held a minutes silence on the 20th anniversary because Juventus requested it and we honoured it.

It wasn't LFC or its fans that forced Chelsea and Spurs to hold a minutes silence. It was the FA. Take your problems up with them.
Original post by L18
I don't get what your getting at? We do remember the dead, which is why we held a minutes silence on the 20th anniversary because Juventus requested it and we honoured it.

It wasn't LFC or its fans that forced Chelsea and Spurs to hold a minutes silence. It was the FA. Take your problems up with them.

Fair enough. I'm just saying for you guys to then say we're being disrespectful because of it because we had problems with the game and how the FA basically had no common sense in moving back the dates for our matches. but it's ok to disrespect the national anthem because you have problems with it, when we had problems with the hillsborough disaster affecting us, I'm sure the chelsea fans would have respected the dead if that wasn't the case and the FA had the match shifted to another date.
Original post by TRS-T
Surprised that this has not got more coverage.

Disgraceful behaviour from the Liverpool fans.

What kind of idiotic fan boos their own national anthem?

Typical arrogant Scousers (and plastic Liverpool fans who copy the Scousers)

Maybe we should play the Norwegian anthem for them next time.

Might be more relevant to their fanbase :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also how disrespectful is Jose Enrique doing warm-ups during the national anthem :angry:

Yeah I have to admit I found that rather strange. I was more bemused than angry/disappointed. Sure I'm a proud Brit and don't agree with the words of the anthem (frankly I believe in the first instance it should have no religious references and even then those references should be directed towards to the defence/liberty of the nation and not one individual. No one person is bigger than this or any nation for that matter).

Even so I wouldn't boo the anthem. I'd either sing or observe it respectfully (as with all anthems as a good citizen should do).

But ever since Ricky Hatton fans booed the American National Anthem in Las Vegas, nothing surprises me anymore (and I say that as both a Man City and Ricky Hatton fan).
Reply 156
Original post by jam277
I'm sure the chelsea fans would have respected the dead if that wasn't the case and the FA had the match shifted to another date.

Do me a favour.

Chelsea FC are the only other club, bar United, who sing en mass about Hillsborough. The minutes silence would have been disturbed regardless.
Original post by L18
Do me a favour.

Chelsea FC are the only other club, bar United, who sing en mass about Hillsborough. The minutes silence would have been disturbed regardless.

I remember a story a few years back that made me sick in the stomach. Some dude in Manchester went into a Sports Direct store and had 96 printed on the back of the shirt with the tagline 'never enough'. I'm not sure what happened to him.

I deleted a "friend" from facebook for a joke he made about wanting to take part in a Hillsborough Triathlon....it's too graphic to repeat. TBH he wasn't a friend more an acquaintance and even though I'm a City fan I still took offence well disgust at it.

Latest