Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Cannabis should be legal, but you are a tool if you get high constantly.

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    In response to the many pro-leagalization of narcotics threads of late;

I Agree with you. For all the obvious socio-economic reasons we would be better off by decriminalizing narcotics. The political motives for such restrictions are questionable and most likely hypocritical. That is not the point of this OP.

I have tried cannabis on several occasions. It is not for me, but I understand the attraction. That is my personal experience. Now here is my personal observation. I know several people who are occasional users. By occasional, I mean they may "burn one" once a week or less. For all of them it appears to be a completely harmless indulgence. I know several people who "smoke" constantly. By constantly I mean near every day if not several times a day. For all of them it seems to be a serious distraction to their potential. No, they are not addicts. No they are not "strung out". However, none of them are what I would call successful either. They certainly don't function at a high level. I am going to generalize now so get over it. Everyone I know who smokes pot with consistency, is unmotivated. They are not proactive in managing their personal or professional lives. They are all unreliable, and they constantly disappoint those who care about them the most. Quite frankly, most of them don't bathe as often as they should either.

It is absolutely heartbreaking to see people who you know have limitless potential, piss it all away in the name of, "living for the moment mate." Smoking dope or using some other noxious substance may be fun, but it does not make you enlightened. It makes you a tool.

Should it be Legal?.............Yes
    Is it advisable?..................NO
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    From my own experiences, I would have to say I think some cannabis should be legalised but not the stronger forms. Ive taken some of the stronger forms myself and I do believe they can be dangerous. And because the whole thing is illegal it means people are less likely to know exactly what they are taking.

However, if done safely Its no more dangerous than alcohol or cigarrettes, and if it wasnt so hushed down then more information could be given about it which would make it safer.

I bet the main reason its not been legalised though is because its hard to control it and thus with tax etc it would be difficult.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    I know several people who "smoke" constantly. By constantly I mean near every day if not several times a day. For all of them it seems to be a serious distraction to their potential. No, they are not addicts. No they are not "strung out". However, none of them are what I would call successful either. They certainly don't function at a high level. I am going to generalize now so get over it. Everyone I know who smokes pot with consistency, is unmotivated. They are not proactive in managing their personal or professional lives. They are all unreliable, and they constantly disappoint those who care about them the most. Quite frankly, most of them don't bathe as often as they should either.

It is absolutely heartbreaking to see people who you know have limitless potential, piss it all away in the name of, "living for the moment mate." Smoking dope or using some other noxious substance may be fun, but it does not make you enlightened. It makes you a tool.

Should it be Legal?.............Yes
    Is it advisable?..................NO
    Former regular toker here - about 3 spliffs a day. I'd go through at least 1/8th a week (yes I know - I don't use a lot of weed in my joints - I never smoked regularly to get baked) and had been doing that pretty much solidly for a decade.

Eventually, it sent me a bit mental. I was off work for 5 weeks. Not cool. Can I say for sure it was that I'd smoked constantly? No. It may well have been from the lack of drive, confidence and certainty which was a by product of smoking over a long period of time and never having had much confidence anyway.

After I went a bit mental, I stopped. I now will smoke a few drags on a spliff on a weekend if my mates are smoking, but otherwise I don't smoke it at all. I even deleted my dealers number.

Anyway, moving on a few months, I'm not more productive at work, happier in my life, looking to move in with some friends in a nice house and I'm gunna get me a motorbike and finally ditch the bus.

My only issue with your post is regarding the washing situation. I can't bare to leave the house dirty - even if it's just to the shops! Hahaha!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Former regular toker here - about 3 spliffs a day. I'd go through at least 1/8th a week (yes I know - I don't use a lot of weed in my joints - I never smoked regularly to get baked) and had been doing that pretty much solidly for a decade.

Eventually, it sent me a bit mental. I was off work for 5 weeks. Not cool. Can I say for sure it was that I'd smoked constantly? No. It may well have been from the lack of drive, confidence and certainty which was a by product of smoking over a long period of time and never having had much confidence anyway.

After I went a bit mental, I stopped. I now will smoke a few drags on a spliff on a weekend if my mates are smoking, but otherwise I don't smoke it at all. I even deleted my dealers number.

Anyway, moving on a few months, I'm not more productive at work, happier in my life, looking to move in with some friends in a nice house and I'm gunna get me a motorbike and finally ditch the bus.

My only issue with your post is regarding the washing situation. I can't bare to leave the house dirty - even if it's just to the shops! Hahaha!
    TBH the bathing remark was just sentiment based on some common banter I have with some beloved mates whom this thread would apply to all too much. You get my point though. I just wish they would.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you OP, just like the same could be said about alcohol.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Very happy Ive found this thread.
    I think cannabis should be legal but i also believe it can be very dangerous.
    I tried cannabis in my A2 year at college, i rarely smoked it until the summer.
    When i got to University, i began smoking more because my flat mates were all heavy weed smokers.
    I limited it to smoking only at night, and this has become a night pleasure for me now.
    Ill get up quite early in the morning, do all the stuff i need to do that day, and around ten or eleven oclock before bed, ill have a a cup of tea, a chat and a joint with a friend before bed. I then wake up refreshed the next day (as long as i dont smoke a stupid amount the night before) and continue as normal.
    I had a part time job, getting a 2.2 in my degree, (first year) and never got finically unstable from the habit.

I suffer from regular insomnia and a very serious stomach condition. my condition means i struggle to eat and get a lot of pain in my chest. When i smoke pot, the pain is relieved and i am able to eat without it being any sort of struggle from what people call the munchies. I also don't have any issue sleeping when i smoke

However just because i have had a good experience with the drug doesn't mean i dont agree it is dangerous.
    Some of my flat mates are now 'mentally addicted' to weed and smoke it as soon as they wake up straight through to the evening. Many are paranoid, and feel depressed or angry when they're sober.

A friend back at home is the same, he lost his job and smoked a lot. Now hes paranoid his family hates him, and says he feels suicidal when hes sober for more than 6 hours.
    He has now started stealing and using friends just to get more pot, as he spent all his money on it already.

For this reason, i think cannabis should stay illegal. As much as i would like to be able to pop down the corner shop to buy a bag, instead of standing on a street waiting for a dealer, i just don't think people would be able to handle the balance of sober and high.
    Although i am a controlled weed smoker, i have NEVER let it affect my life, it is just an enjoyment, a rountine in my life, I don't think i could say the same for everyone.

Considering how high binge drinking percentages are atm, do we really need a new drug on the market to be abused?

I think people should be taught correctly about cannabis, the good and bad points. I have found many positives, and the only negative isomnia, similar to if i was coming off sleeping pills, i get to when i cut down weed.

One of my friends told my parents i smoked weed, and now i don't have a relationship with them, this is partly the reason. I also had to drop out of Uni because of this estrangement. Considering i was doing so well with my life up to that point while smoking weed, it seems a little stupid now, Im living on my own and reapplying to start Uni again for Sept 2012, all because of someones concern from a lack of education to the drug.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.