Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Chemistry SL Paper 1 and Paper 2

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you feel about it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cavid409)
    What do you feel about it?
    I'm not great at Chem, but I thought that parts of them were really quite tricky.

There were some weird questions on Paper 1, and I know I got 26 wrong (I put benzene ring and ketone, apparently it was benzene ring and ester). So not that great, but not a MAJOR catastrophe.

And I found Paper 2 hard, just because all the stuff I HATE came up, and none of the stuff I love (e.g. equilibrium). And I like acids and bases, but the Section B Q6 was mixed in with Enthalpy, which I hate! Plus, I screwed up the Iodine-131 and Carbon Dating questions.

Basically, not great. I'll have to abandon hope of getting a 7 and hope for a 6...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You got 26 wrong? O.o I got all of them correct and had some difficulties in paper 2 so lost 6-7 points...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You got 26 wrong? O.o I got all of them correct and had some difficulties in paper 2 so lost 6-7 points...
    Haha, I know I got question 26 on Paper 1 wrong. I'm hoping i got about 26 right!

Losing 6-7 points is hardly catastrophic though! I know we aren't allowed to discuss Paper 3 yet, but you must be on track for a 7? I suppose you liked Paper 2 then...?

How do you know you got everything right on Paper 1 though?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I checked everything with the syllabus... Every question..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I checked everything with the syllabus... Every question..
    Dedication!

I think I fell into the trap they set on q.1 as I put 6.02 x 10^22

Damnnn

Can you remember what you got for stuff? Oh, and what Section B question did you do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course i do... The answer is 6,62 x 10^23... Why? 0.1 (mol) x 11 (atoms) x 6,02 x 10^23 = 6,62 x 10^23... I chose the second question from section b... Ammonia and carbon dioxide..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course i do... The answer is 6,62 x 10^23... Why? 0.1 (mol) x 11 (atoms) x 6,02 x 10^23 = 6,62 x 10^23... I chose the second question from section b... Ammonia and carbon dioxide..
    Wasn't that Question 6? Acids and Bases/Enthalpy? Love Acids and Bases but I'm horrible at Enthalpy. And no equilibrium for the whole paper! I can kiss goodbye to 45...

Uhmmm what about drawing the tangent to the graph and finding the rate of decomposition for the first question?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been searching for a thread like this all over the internet. In fact, I just created this account so I could respond.

Paper 2 was far easier than Paper 1 (which I did pretty badly on)
    I had doubts on the following questions; do you know what the right answer was?

• How many isomers of pentane there were
    • concentration of NaOH after adding the water
    • Given x and y, enthalpy of some N2H2 compound
    • how accurate the measurement should be when measured ±.001 g
    • moles of oxygen required for combustion of hydrocarbon CxHx+2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think i lost some points there)) in finding the rate i divided 4 by 120 and i don't is it was right or not... But are you sure that we have to draw a tangent to the curve?? Because i thought that the graph with catalyst will be steeper than the original one.. How did u write it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meep555)
    I've been searching for a thread like this all over the internet. In fact, I just created this account so I could respond.

Paper 2 was far easier than Paper 1 (which I did pretty badly on)
    I had doubts on the following questions; do you know what the right answer was?

• How many isomers of pentane there were
    • concentration of NaOH after adding the water
    • Given x and y, enthalpy of some N2H2 compound
    • how accurate the measurement should be when measured ±.001 g
    • moles of oxygen required for combustion of hydrocarbon CxHx+2
    Are these questions from paper 2? Section b? Because i don't even remember these questions))
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are these questions from paper 2? Section b? Because i don't even remember these questions))
    they were paper 1 questions (sl)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have these ones)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I didnt have it too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think i lost some points there)) in finding the rate i divided 4 by 120 and i don't is it was right or not... But are you sure that we have to draw a tangent to the curve?? Because i thought that the graph with catalyst will be steeper than the original one.. How did u write it?
    Well, I just assumed that as it was 'rate', you had to find the gradient of the graph at 120 seconds (rate = gradient), so I drew a tangent and calculated (change in y / change in x). I can;'t quite remember what I got though...

I did draw the curve higher than the original one though, as the reaction would have started off faster?

(Original post by meep555)
    they were paper 1 questions (sl)
    I think perhaps you are TZ1? We are TZ2...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautiful-lion)
    Well, I just assumed that as it was 'rate', you had to find the gradient of the graph at 120 seconds (rate = gradient), so I drew a tangent and calculated (change in y / change in x). I can;'t quite remember what I got though...

I did draw the curve higher than the original one though, as the reaction would have started off faster?

I think perhaps you are TZ1? We are TZ2...
    i din get the rate of decomposition crap but im pretty sure rate does not always equal to the gradient
    if youve done physics then its like comparing to the equation:
    y = mx
    where m (gradient)= y/x
    so the the gradient is the variable on the y axis divided by the variable on the x axis . And since time was not the variable on the axis, which im pretty sure, the gradient is not equal to the rate.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.