Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it fair to try and convert people to religion

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious. I did go to a CofE primary school and I understand that many people are religious for their own different reasons.

But is it fair for religious people to approach me in the street and to knock on my door trying to convert me to religion?

Only once can I say that I've ever been offended by this and it was in a situation on Oxford Street where a Hare Krishna began talking to me and basically told me he could make my life a lot better than what it is. Personally I'm pretty happy as it is.

Now if I was to begin approaching religious people and telling them they could be a lot happier if they forgot all about their religion I'm sure there would be outrage.

So is it fair for people to randomly approach any stranger and try to push religion onto them?

I'm not complaining and would never treat anyone different due to there religious beliefs.. but thought it could be a good discussion.

Discuss.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's fine for them to do it, so long as they don't get angry when people try to convert others to become athiests.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    why is it unfair? they are just exercising their right to free speech. you are welcome to say no and move on.

Your question is the same as saying: hey is it fair for people to approach me and give me a magazine to read on the subway?

Of course it's fair...you have all the right to say no and move on...
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally find that kinda evangelisation distasteful :yes:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I personally find that kinda evangelisation distasteful :yes:
    but it works quite well, especially in certain parts of the world. sure, it may seem a bit intrusive especially if they try to forcibly convert people, but when done right, it can be a great way to spread the word.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's fine for them to recommend it but if they keep on going at it, it's really bad and annoying. It'll just make people dislike them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. It's your choice, nobody should try and make you convert.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I honestly find it quite invasive. If I was interested, I'd approach them and ask for more information, rather than have it thrown at me when I don't want to know.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zuqqer)
    No. It's your choice, nobody should try and make you convert.
    what you meant to say was, people can try to make you convert but its your choice to say no.
    • 85 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .eXe)
    but it works quite well, especially in certain parts of the world. sure, it may seem a bit intrusive especially if they try to forcibly convert people, but when done right, it can be a great way to spread the word.
    I'm not saying it's not effective: like you say, it certainly is sometimes. I just wouldn't go about doing something like that myself :nah:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's fair. It's also fair for you to ask them to be quiet and go bother someone else.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess it is fair. It was just the way he said it (although I'm sure he didn't intend it to seem as it did) was as though I wasn't happy with my life.

Either way my post wasn't to say anything bad about religion, just to through up a good ol' discussion.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as they aren't doing it to children, and as long as its a situation where you can easily say no and move on, then yes it is fair.

Distasteful methods such as jumping around screaming is not socially acceptable, and so is in my own opinion, a public nuisance and should be outlawed (I think you would notice that if you try jumping about screaming views that aren't religious but on another topic that some find offensive you would be arrested, but for religion it's just fine :rolleyes:). You should be able to walk down a street without someone trying to scare the living s*** into you saying you are a sinner who will physically burn for an eternity.

More passive, "would you like some information on Christianity/insert 'x' religion?" people are just fine.

It is also fair for an atheist to preach the opposite in the streets, however it rarely happens (don't think I've ever seen it actually).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Live and let live... unless it affects you in some way.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    That approach is unfair so I agree with you there.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When this happens to me I just par them out and usually they're so shocked/surprised that they don't pursue me any further

The Jehovah's Witnesses no longer come to our house (but they go to everyone else on our street) because they know that we're not gullible enough to fall for what they're saying

Once a Muslim came up to me, whilst I was shopping, screaming about the science in the Qur'an. So I quoted him a couple of lines from the GGS and he literally couldn't respond, so I just walked off and carried on my shopping. Problem solved.

I have also been approached by these Hare Krishna people, they're pretty clueless if you ask me. The guy just kept going about how your life changes if you become Hindu and worship Krishna, he kept saying that you need to do that in order to be successful in business. I asked him whether Krishna is even mildly bothered about the millions of Hindus that live in poverty. He couldn't answer. I then asked him why Oxford university isn't full of Hindus. He couldn't answer. Like I said, a pretty clueless guy. Before that bit he tried to convince me that I was Hindu, but I swiftly put him down on that one. That wasn't even an argument. He seemed to think "Indian" means "Hindu," which clearly isn't the case.

It's easy to deal with them if you know what you're talking about.

As to whether it's fair or not; yes, I think it's fair. In fact, I kind of like it when they do that. Because usually they lear something about Sikhism that they didn't know before. Unless you're in a hurry and get some really annoying people that just won't go away; that's pretty annoying.

(Original post by .eXe)
    No, it proves that you're a good salesperson who is good at picking targets. It doesn't say anything about your religion or its authenticity.

And what do you mean by "certain parts of the world"?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Its fine as long as they take no for an answer. How can it not be fair? They can't force you to convert, if you want to convert do it, if not don't. From what I have seen religious people are not to pushy, if you say no and keep walking then they give up, much better than those horrible charity workers. People who convert to religion are not happy with their life as it is and to reach out to those people could be what they need to bring about positive changes in their lives.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was walking along the High Street with my brother once, and we were approached by a Mormon. I forget exactly the argument he was 'preaching' (this happened 7 years or so ago), but my brother, who's much more vocal than me, tore him to pieces with basic logic, and the poor Mormon didn't know what to say. My brother then says 'Have you considered Islam?' And we walk on. We were both sniggering to ourselves at that one.

In response to OP question, I believe the more anyone tries to shove religion down my throat, the less receptive I am to hearing what they have to say.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    I was walking along the High Street with my brother once, and we were approached by a Mormon. I forget exactly the argument he was 'preaching' (this happened 7 years or so ago), but my brother, who's much more vocal than me, tore him to pieces with basic logic, and the poor Mormon didn't know what to say. My brother then says 'Have you considered Islam?' And we walk on. We were both sniggering to ourselves at that one.

In response to OP question, I believe the more anyone tries to shove religion down my throat, the less receptive I am to hearing what they have to say.
    Lol haha that's funny.

On a side note: mormonism is absolute nonsense, comparable to scientilogy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm an atheist, but yes, of course it's fair.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.