Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FP2 complex numbers locus of points

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    im not quite sure about this topic, like why does the locus of lz-5-3il=3 represent a circle?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by number23)
    im not quite sure about this topic, like why does the locus of lz-5-3il=3 represent a circle?
    If |something| = 5, then the distance of all the 'somethings' from a central point is 5 units. This is the same as the definition of a circle, as if you take any point on it's edge, it's the same distance from the centre of the circle.

You could think of this as a complex number being rotated around the axis, the only think changing is it's argument, the modulus is always the same.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBarns)
    If |something| = 5, then the distance of all the 'somethings' from a central point is 5 units. This is the same as the definition of a circle, as if you take any point on it's edge, it's the same distance from the centre of the circle.

You could think of this as a complex number being rotated around the axis, the only think changing is it's argument, the modulus is always the same.
    ok so the length of all the point from the origin is constant, but the angle changes? also when its like z-5i, why do you move upwards rather than downwards? thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You must revise!

A magnitude in the complexplane represents a cirlce.

|z - 5 - 3i| = 3
    |z - (5+ 3i)| = 3

Look at it this way:
    z is any number, so
    z = x + iy

-->
    |x + iy - 5 - 3i| = 3
    |(x -5) + i(y - 3)| = 3

Take the magnitude, so square the imaginary and real components and square the RHS:

(x -5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 9.

This represents a cirlce in the cartesian plane.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok so the length of all the point from the origin is constant, but the angle changes? also when its like z-5i, why do you move upwards rather than downwards? thanks
    In C1, if you had f(x-5), we shifted up the x axis by 5 units, not down - it's counterintuitive.

So, say we had a locus represented by f(z) = k. If we had (z-(a+bi)) = k, we have a circle of radius k with a centre that is shifted a units right/left and b units up/down. In the example you gave: z-5i = z - (0+5i), so we have a translation 5 units upwards.

It's difficult to explain without drawing diagrams/graphs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    |z| where z = x + yi is defined as (x^2 + y^2)^0.5

So if |z - c - di| = r, we have |(x-c) + (y-d)i| = r, or rather (x-c)^2 + (y-d)^2 = r^2

So yes, the circle of radius r centred at (c,d)

Edit: beaten to it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    You must revise!
    lol, thanks.

so the modulus of a complex number, equalled to a constant, represents a circle and the centre is given by the transformation of z? and the radius=constant^0.5

thanks everyone
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    You must revise!

A magnitude in the complexplane represents a cirlce.

|z - 5 - 3i| = 3
    |z - (5+ 3i)| = 3

Look at it this way:
    z is any number, so
    z = x + iy

-->
    |x + iy - 5 - 3i| = 3
    |(x -5) + i(y - 3)| = 3

Take the magnitude, so square the imaginary and real components and square the RHS:

(x -5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 9.

This represents a cirlce in the cartesian plane.
    Mate, that is an excellent representation. I've been struggling with the concept of loci too, but your expansion in the form of a cartesian circle really puts things into perspective. Amazing how things suddenly piece together, thanks!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol, thanks.

so the modulus of a complex number, equalled to a constant, represents a circle Yes

and the centre is given by the transformation of z? Yes. You should always bracket it so you get the centre straight away. Just picture it as a movement from the origin.

and the radius=constant^0.5 Not sure what you mean here. When given the complex form, |something| = 3, the radius is three. So the radius of |something| = n always has radius n with complex numbers.
    In red.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dangerous Theory)
    Mate, that is an excellent representation. I've been struggling with the concept of loci too, but your expansion in the form of a cartesian circle really puts things into perspective. Amazing how things suddenly piece together, thanks!
    No problem. I think I just upped the grade boundaries, sorry everyone!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    In red.
    so the constant equals the raduis, thanks
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    can i get some help on this question :

Showing your working, find the two square roots of the complex number 1 − (2√6)i. Give your answers in the form x + iy, where x and y are exact.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aysha.19)
    can i get some help on this question :

Showing your working, find the two square roots of the complex number 1 − (2√6)i. Give your answers in the form x + iy, where x and y are exact.
    A complex number z which is a square root of 1-2\sqrt{6} \ i will satify:

z^2 = 1-2\sqrt{6} \ i

Write z as x+iy\ then expand z^2 and compare real and imaginary parts.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 11, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.