Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it sexist to treat people differently?

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    In school today, a teacher got angry with a student for answering back and she said ‘that the student wouldn’t answer me back if I wasn't a female and in my twenty’s, instead if I was a 50 year old man you would be better behaved. she also called him 'sexist'. which i think she took too far.

what do you think? people's appearance, gender and character play a great deal into how you behave in front of the person.

so i don't see he was being sexist even though answering back is bad of course.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the student said to her.

But if she just said that out of the blue from someone speaking back to her then she's actually the sexist one for assuming that the student would be behaved if she was 50.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is. I beat my woman as I beat my men.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying, "it is racist to toss fried chicken at a black man?"
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by non)
    In school today, a teacher got angry with a student for answering back and she said ‘that the student wouldn’t answer me back if I wasn't a female and in my twenty’s, instead if I was a 50 year old man you would be better behaved. she also called him 'sexist'. which i think she took too far.

what do you think? people's appearance, gender and character play a great deal into how you behave in front of the person.

so i don't see he was being sexist even though answering back is bad of course.
    I hope he stood up for himself. Sounds like she is victimising herself there.

Accusations like that aren't OK to throw around. She should be investigated and disciplined if required.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTFBBQ)
    I hope he stood up for himself. Sounds like she is victimising herself there.

Accusations like that aren't OK to throw around. She should be investigated and disciplined if required.
    I say sack her for disgusting sexist behaviour and make sure she never works again while being banned from JSA/other handouts.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    first let me say by no means do i condone her saying this and she should of course be disciplined for it but from my time in education she has a very fair point people tend to argue back to young female teachers a lot more than middle aged male ones... might be different for others but thats just my experience
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    What a dumb teacher. She is sexist herself for automatically assuming the way the student behaves is solely due to her sex. There are many other factors to take into account such as how strict the teacher is, their prior relationship and the cause of the argument itself.

(Original post by cl_steele)
    first let me say by no means do i condone her saying this and she should of course be disciplined for it but from my time in education she has a very fair point people tend to argue back to young female teachers a lot more than middle aged male ones... might be different for others but thats just my experience
    In my experience in education people tend to be more cozy and friendly if the teacher was younger, and especially if the teacher was a young, attractive female. Since they are perceived as 'cooler' and students are more likely to be able to identify with these kind of teachers.

And I'm not trying to demean you or anything, but I thought it was universally agreed that older teachers 'are more boring and understand us less so deserve less of our respect'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.